• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

Xenos

Reaction score
Thanks, Swan Song. Good to know.

I have five pairs of boots now. Those pictured are my latest. I have three pairs of Justins (2 Teju Lizard - 1 black, 1 brown; and 1 pair of lighter brown elephant I bought 25 years ago), one pair of Nocona black bullhide and these Tony Lamas from the El Rey Collection.

Are your Tony Lama boots El Rey also? I assume that moniker is supposed to signify something special as it translates to "the king", but there is scant info on the internet about cowboy boots in general. Any tips on sites or forums that might be informative?

Thanks.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too hot to wear cowboy boots this time of year (mid-August in the mid-Atlantic), but I still like them alot. I've got two pairs - one pair of Lucchesse and one pair of Tony Lama. I wore them a decent amount in the 90s but have been wearing them less and less. Now, maybe once or twice a year. They take up space in the closet but... no way I'm getting rid of them.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Mine are not from the El Rey Collection....I do not know when El Rey was phased out, but they were their top-line boot when they were introduced in 1952-53.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Your welcome

another favorite boot, a very vintage (1970's) Lucchese (San Antonio) in a glove soft French Calf, with conchos decorating the mule ear pulls. Aged to a gorgeous golden patina.

Literally like wearing gloves on your feet, they are so comfortable.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Wow. Nice to see how bullfrog looks with a few decades of wear. I've been thinking about picking up a pair...

Swan Song

Reaction score
How about a nice vintage White Label(pre merger with Justin in 1981) Nocona boot in Elephant, gray in color.

wears like iron as you can see, yet a soft and flexible leather.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kabert
Too hot to wear cowboy boots this time of year (mid-August in the mid-Atlantic), but I still like them alot. I've got two pairs - one pair of Lucchesse and one pair of Tony Lama. I wore them a decent amount in the 90s but have been wearing them less and less. Now, maybe once or twice a year. They take up space in the closet but... no way I'm getting rid of them.

Well, here's an idea.....Cole Haan Bargano Woven Leather Cowboy "styled" boot.

Kinda citified, but glove soft inside and out, not hot at all. Made in Italy.

And of course, love that aged, cognac patina.

Swan Song

Reaction score
My vintage Sea Turtle in brown, made in Mexico in the 1970's. I bought them from the original owner and he couldn't quite remember exactly, but thought it was 1970-72.

They have areas of wear from spurs, so they were a working boot for him.

Xenos

Reaction score
African Bullfrog, Swan Song? Now you're just showing off! Never seen boots made of that skin. Those are really beautiful. Very nice. Thanks for posting.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
African Bullfrog, Swan Song? Now you're just showing off!

Never seen boots made of that skin. Those are really beautiful. Very nice.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks, and soft as budda, too.

Swan Song

Reaction score
And a vintage (early 1970's from the label) large scale Anteater in gray. It has aged gracefully, and are extremely comfortable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads