• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Despos Thread

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't make someone with a George Costanza body look like Brad Pitt. Based on one pic and the military stance, I still think you can conclude it is a very nicely made and well-fitting jacket.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
well, the camera (along with death) is the great equalizer. i don't see how it particularly disadvantages one individual more than any other.

i suspect the real issue is the wearer's physique. but in the interest of interweb decorum (and interforum respect for members who have the balls to post pictures of themselves), i will abstain from further comment and return the microphone to you guys.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
You can't make someone with a George Costanza body look like Brad Pitt. Based on one pic and the military stance, I still think you can conclude it is a very nicely made and well-fitting jacket.

I think the key is that it's hard to find anything 'wrong' with the suit. Sleeves like that, for example, are pretty rare in RTW.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC,that coat of Yachtie's pictured is made out of Harrison's Moonbeam cloth which is very soft.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Read Yachties comments on the London Lounge link and it will clarify some points.

He was not wanting any extra cloth in the chest. I would get the chest fitted how I liked and then reduce it another 1/2". I like to emphasize the chest and shoulder and think a fuller chest would help here. He refers to this in his comments.

Yachtie wears his jacket buttoned at all times and the button stance was determined while he was sitting. to find the optimum point while seated. That is also why the skirt flares a bit, to allow some movement while seated.

For perspective, you are looking at man just under 6' tall with a 48 chest and 0 drop.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Many of those old photographs of yachtie were also taken, I believe, while he was on a fitness improvement strategy that included weight loss. He was holding off alterations/recuts until he was closer to his goals.

Aportnoy did something similar, and in the process replaced a lot of RTW/MTM pieces with bespoke numbers.

Online candid photographs of the work of good tailors are few and far between. The impression that they give, particularly for those makers not at the higher volume marks, will be skewed to their most enthusiastic vanity photography customers. I suppose that can work for or against a particular tailor.

One of the things to look for in yachtie's pictures is that he is quite knowledgable and discerning about features or configurations that come from an earlier age. There is nothing RTW about his look (except the Aldens that typically shod his feet,) and that speaks well to Despos's ability to accommodate a client with ideas of his own. That's one of the things that custom or bespoke tailoring can be at it's best.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Chris, does the wrap coat have a hidden button inside?

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
For perspective, you are looking at man just under 6' tall with a 48 chest and 0 drop.

that's what i suspected. thanks for clarifying.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Chris, does the wrap coat have a hidden button inside?

Not to my knowledge, unless it is hidden really well.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
it hangs stiffly

Originally Posted by mafoofan
The danger of judging a piece of tailoring by a still picture in terms of something like "stiffness" is that whatever you observe might have nothing to do with the tailoring. .

Or it might have everything to do with the tailoring. I would venture to say that we are so unaccustomed to seeing something fits and hangs correctly without pulling our buckling or obvious defects that we interpret the cleanliness of such a masterstroke as "stiffness".

Sleeves like that, for example, are pretty rare anywhere.

FTFY

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Read Yachties comments on the London Lounge link and it will clarify some points.

He was not wanting any extra cloth in the chest. I would get the chest fitted how I liked and then reduce it another 1/2". I like to emphasize the chest and shoulder and think a fuller chest would help here. He refers to this in his comments.

Yachtie wears his jacket buttoned at all times and the button stance was determined while he was sitting. to find the optimum point while seated. That is also why the skirt flares a bit, to allow some movement while seated.

BTW, thanks also for being the only person, in the entire series of posts that followed my observations, to actually bother addressing the specific points i raised, and to explain why the jacket is behaving the way it does.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
There is nothing RTW about his look

Sleeves like that, for example, are pretty rare in RTW.

guys -- i thought we were debating and admiring the finer points of the work an acclaimed tailor, no? i don't hear anyone saying that it looks like RTW. we are well past that point in the conversation.

saw similar comments in the Diller debacle thread and i'm afraid i don't get it. surely we need to apply a higher bar in these discussions than a blunt (and binary) "doesn't look like RTW"? i'm more interested in the finer judgment calls that a tailor has to make when confronted with challenging circumstances. not in whether a sleeve line falls straight without distortion, which, as i said in the Diller thread, is table stakes for good bespoke. one would think.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
Or it might have everything to do with the tailoring. I would venture to say that we are so unaccustomed to seeing something fits and hangs correctly without pulling our buckling or obvious defects that we interpret the cleanliness of such a masterstroke as "stiffness".

FTFY

You like it...the sleeves

I had the pleasure of meeting Jeffery in Chicago this weekend. He really grew up in the trade and is someone who is wrapping his life around his gift/his trade. It would make a great movie.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
I would venture to say that we are so unaccustomed to seeing something fits and hangs correctly without pulling our buckling or obvious defects that we interpret the cleanliness of such a masterstroke as "stiffness".

Please don't echo my lament. I have a copyright on it.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of meeting Jeffery in Chicago this weekend. He really grew up in the trade and is someone who is wrapping his life around his gift/his trade. It would make a great movie.

Men of the Ripped Cloth?

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads