• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Despos Thread

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The key to a good derail is clarity of taste in what should be sent over the cliff, engine belching smoke and passengers screaming. What was going on here wasn't that. - B
Please, I posted Agnew. That's worth a crisp fiver right there. But srsly, I am enjoying learning about Despos style and there were some great pics around pages 4 and 5.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I do give you props for Agnew.

Here's a blog post by the guy who forced Breanish into Despos's shears.

- B

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The key to a good derail is clarity of taste in what should be sent over the cliff, engine belching smoke and passengers screaming.

What was going on here wasn't that.

- B

Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate it, the quality derail. Even the ones full of teh suckitude.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
You're a spunky little smurf, I'll give you that.

tongue.gif

Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm not disgusted by you, but I'm also not feigning my frustration. You launch criticisms that don't appear to have any objective basis, throwing around terms like "shoulder seam" and "drape" without knowing what they mean, and sending up rules of fit that are merely figments of your imagination. Meanwhile you attach adjectives like "sexy" and "fantastic" to something like a lapel without being able to explain what actually makes it special to you.

Have you considered that I agree with Vox a lot more than I agree with you simply because Vox is right a lot more than you are?

Allow me: lately, you do come across as a bit more arrogant than usual. Not blind, just a bit more arrogant. Perhaps that time of the month?

Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Another drape argument...

bored+baby.bmp

Best drape I've seen in a while.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Usul
Is this to mean Foo>Bull ?
Originally Posted by Bull
Sure.
Maybe in terms of law school. Although Brown has produced some good people, a couple of them highly regarded here, one more for his pictures and the other for his words... And there's been evidence here that not all of GU's products have been stellar.
Originally Posted by whnay.
Pictures of Despos work? Anyone? Anyone?
We are waiting for Aportnoy to steel his chin against the hords.
Warning...Despos Content...Warning! "The earnest and affable Chris Despos (not yet out of his 30s), of Despos Custom Tailoring, in Dallas, comes to New York to spend his two-week vacation studying patternmaking with the great master tailor Henry Stewart." - Professional Clothing Writer, G. Bruce Boyer, in Town & Country Magazine, November 1991 The NYT obit from 1993 about Stewart. More and more on Stewart.
Thank you. Sad how old the people working w/ Stewart were. The "baby" in the second link would be 69 now. Of course, the others mention Shattuck and Despos. Wonder if he had any other young'uns workin' with 'im.
Originally Posted by onix
Alright, another coat to help a derailed thread: (http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum...php?f=4&t=8592)
DSC00363.jpg

Thank you. That is very nice.
I do give you props for Agnew. Here's a blog post by the guy who forced Breanish into Despos's shears.
Thank you.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Alright, another coat to help a derailed thread: (http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum...php?f=4&t=8592)
DSC00363.jpg

am i the only one to think that this particular one doesn't particularly flatter the wearer? it hangs stiffly and isn't sufficiently shaped -- an overly boxy, sack-like aesthetic that doesn't do the wearer any favors, particularly since he's on the short side.

possibly a stylistic choice by the customer rather than of the tailor, but not an example that i would have picked for a flattering cut.

emptym

Reaction score
^If you click the link, you'll read that Yachtie requested a clean look. It's not what I prefer, but I think he looks great in it. And imo, to judge how flattering the cut is, you'd have to know what his body looks like, which we don't. Although, iirc, he has posted that he's not in the best of shape.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
fair enough, let me rephrase. i don't think it makes him look particularly good, no matter what his body type, and i still think the jacket hangs like a stiff "A".

it is possible that the real issue is that he's not cut out for a DB.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
i still think the jacket hangs like a stiff "A".

I see this too.

I also wonder if it has anything to do with the camera angle....

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I see this too.

I also wonder if it has anything to do with the camera angle....

probably to some degree. the harsh lighting also probably doesn't help overall.

but angle and lighting aside, you can see that the width of the jacket at the bottom of the skirt is practically as wide as his shoulders, which contributes to the "A" effect.

the skirt also seems to flare out from the button point. which makes me wonder if a lower button point, or one that is 1 cm less tight, would have prevented the "A" flare, and whether a slightly more built-up shoulder would have helped balance things out.

the stiffness is likely the result of the structure.

in the grand scheme of things i suspect that it's primarily the wearer's physique that imposed a certain number of constraints, and despos did the best he could to work around them.

regardless, it's still not an example that i would have picked. i found the one posted earlier in this thread (p2 or thereabouts) much more compelling, even though, admittedly, it's on a mannequin.

despos, it would be great if you could comment. if it's awkward because you don't want to publicly comment on a client, that's perfectly understandable. but if i am making incorrect calls on the technicalities as i see them, your perspective would be valuable.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and? the sky is blue.
Well, it's not how he would normally stand is it? When you are being fitted an experience tailor will try to get you to stand as naturally as the situation allows.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
and? the sky is blue.
The danger of judging a piece of tailoring by a still picture in terms of something like "stiffness" is that whatever you observe might have nothing to do with the tailoring. It's simply too vague and subjective a measure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads