• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hard or soft luggage?

Raul_J

Reaction score
Traveling internationally to a large city for two weeks. Better to buy soft or hard luggage? Any specific luggage brand to look for?

konoyaro

Reaction score
Are you looking for style, durability, ...? Also, what's your price range?

Raul_J

Reaction score
I am not concern about style, I want durable and sturdy luggage. My budget is $400.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Scuttlebutt

Reaction score
Briggs and Riley. Unlimited lifetime warranty. Wear and tear and baggage handler damage included.

/Thread

kontai69

Reaction score
I recently bought new luggage. After spending alot of time researching online deciding what to buy, I settled for the soft shelled Eagle Creek Tarmac 20" and 25" and have been very pleased. Very well built and designed, very light, with tons of storage compartments. It is also reasonably priced (I paid less than $200 for each) and it comes with a lifetime warranty that even covers damage caused by the airline. Google search "Eagle Creek Tarmac reviews". The reviews are nearly all positive. www.eBags.com (not eBay) is also a good place to read reviews.
I also read good stuff about Briggs and Riley, but they are VERY expensive.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scuttlebutt
Briggs and Riley. Unlimited lifetime warranty. Wear and tear and baggage handler damage included.

/Thread

Originally Posted by roderickpike
+1 for Briggs & Riley and its lifetime warranty. Read about hard shell v/s soft shell luggage @ http://tinyurl.com/24jvvvw. Hope this helps.

+1. I have one carry-on, one rolling garment bag and one large suitcase. Been very pleased with them.

jfranci3

Reaction score
Soft shell all the way.

First - most soft shell bags have an internal hard shell on 5 of the 6 sides.
Second - Hard shells scratch and look like crap.
Third - soft shells expand when you need to more in your bag and flex when you need to cram the bag in somewhere.

As for brands... it doesn't really matter. Here's what breaks :
1) Wheels : they get gunked up
2) Zippers: the tabs break off
3) the expanding handle. particularly the mechanism.

here what to look for:
1) Non-black. Get something business-like but not black. Everyone has black. Khaki, green, blue, are, brown. I've got a khaki, it gets dirty, but no one walks off with it and I can spot it right away.
2) 2 polled expanding handle. When you lift your bag with the handle expanded, your elbow goes right through the handles. There's a trend of a single pole, which means your elbow hits it, making it hard to carry.
3) bad balance. Is it stable standing up? with stuff on top? Throw some crap into it at the luggage store and see if it's tippy.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raul_J
Traveling internationally to a large city for two weeks. Better to buy soft or hard luggage? Any specific luggage brand to look for?

What's the content? The whole point for going hard shell is for protection of fragile goods.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's going to be checked luggage... I recommend Briggs & Riley. It looks so darn boring ... but it makes it through the baggage handling with flying colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads