• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey Freeman Navy Wool Blazer - any reviews?

nurktwin

Reaction score
Any reviews of the Hickey Freeman Navy Wool Blazer at Nordstrom? $795. Anyone have this? Thoughts on fit and build quality / materials?

_6101432.jpg

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may help if you link to the site so we can see the description and model name.

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
It may help if you link to the site so we can see the description and model name.
Hi - here's the link: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3093119 Classic notched-lapel blazer is secured by two bronzetone buttons, embossed to resemble British coins. Flap pockets; besom chest pocket; four interior pockets.Three-button cuffs.Center vent.Fully lined.Wool; dry clean.By Hickey Freeman; made in the USA of imported fabric.Men's Clothing.

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandamonium
I have a HF for Nordstroms blazer that's very similar, except it's 10% cashmere. Very nice drape, has held up very well. The coin design for the buttons do seem a little gaudy sometimes. The model is called Boardroom. Are you a 44R, by any chance?
Actually, the coin design on the above photo is muted in tone and not as bright and garish as the gold color buttons on many blazers...

nurktwin

Reaction score
Would the muted brass coin buttons be too dull to be considered an "authentic blazer?" Do blazers have to have the bright gold buttons to be considered a classic traditional blazer?

dks202

Reaction score
I own two of them, Boardroom model, 10% cashmere, full canvas. The price has been the same for several years. That leads me to believe it might be a lesser "Limited" model, half canvas or maybe even fused and not as much hand work as top of the line.

Still a decent jacket though.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At that price, I would suspect that it is their Ltd. line, meaning half-fused. I would not buy it a full retail, but pick it up on sale and you would have a nice buy.

nurktwin

Reaction score
what is the difference between fully fused and half fused?

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll get in a lot of trouble for this, but the difference probably won't matter to you. If it fits you well, buy it on sale and wear in good health.

pandamonium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dks202
I own two of them, Boardroom model, 10% cashmere, full canvas. The price has been the same for several years. That leads me to believe it might be a lesser "Limited" model, half canvas or maybe even fused and not as much hand work as top of the line.

Still a decent jacket though.

We have the same blazer. Nice.

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
Ok, I will chime in.

I have this blazer (or one very similar). Its the two-button, worsted wool, single vent, muted "coin" button blazer. Its very good. It does its job as a "classic navy blazer." That is, its not fancy or flashy, but it is well made (mine is fully canvassed/main line) and has held up nicely with lots of wear. I think the muted coin buttons are a very nice feature. Far from flashy or showy. It shows that its still a blazer, but they are not so shiny and gaudy like the brass ones.

Finally, I got mine new on eBay for ~$100 a few years back, so that definitely informs my review. That is, if I were to pay ~$800 for a navy blazer, I'd want to wait around on SF and find something a lot nicer. But, the HF for $100 and a little bit of waist suppression has served me well.

-EDIT- op, do a search about fused/canvassed and you will surely find an answer. Short story is that fused = a glued canvass, and fully canvassed = sewn in (usually by machine) canvass that allows it to "float" between the outer layer and the inner lining. Forms better to the body as you are wearing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics