• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 4

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monaco
They were? I only remember her stealing $5 from him and thats pretty much all the interaction they had...

I thought the entire series has been good so far but the awkward moments are soooooo cold, makes me just go WTF!

I remember that he taught her to drive. Seems like there were a couple other of examples, e.g., eating ice cream together while he told her war stories. Regardless, when he died she was in major grief and the adults around her pretty much ignored ignored it. Then they named the baby after him and gave him his room and she thought that he was Gene's ghost.

Recognized the flashbacks instantly b/c Roger's hair wasn't as gray. Also think that Don took advantage of him while he was drunk - given that it was 10 in the morning when he asked him out for a drink, he may have even planned it out in advance. Either Roger can't hold his liquor or Don's better at it - he drank Roger under the table in another episode, too. Also agree that it's wierd to see Don smile, let alone be jovial and kissing up to clients.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don is really losing it. I'm glad they're showing some of the consequences of the level of drinking these people do. Some people can manage it but there were a lot of casualties along the way. My dad is a contemporary of this group - just a tad younger than Don (probably closer to Campbell and Cosgrove's age) and a lot of his friends and colleagues died young, had their lives collapse or got sober. He stopped drinking in the early 70's and he'd certainly be dead now if he hadn't. Lost Weekend indeed. Very curious where they're going with this, because Don is on a serious downward spiral.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick

+1 on the Art Director, I thought I passed out watching a previous episode or something...

I think many of the new characters get introduced with little fanfare. Wasn't Sopranos like that too?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beetleything

Pete Campbell, what an insecure douche!

Pete was whining but he deserved to be consulted directly (ahead of time) since he's a partner and at the moment the only one pulling in new business. You could tell Lane developed some respect for Pete for standing up for himself.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Also, that ending was ambiguous: did Sterling actually hire Draper or did Don take advantage of him as a forgetfull drunk? Was this confirmed in earlier seasons?

I guess there is some ambiguity. I interpreted it as Don seeing that he could make something up, and give it a shot. In other words, Roger had shown no interest in hiring him, and Don was eager to work there, so he has a plan to show up at the elevator and act like he was hired. If he was really hired, as in he got a drunk offer from Roger, he wouldn't have needed to time his arrival to be there when Roger was at the elevator. Or, knowing Roger was drunk, and possibly forgetful, he figured he better remind him at the elevator. Ok it is totally ambiguous, but I'm going with the "No Offer/Don Has a Plan to get his foot in the door" scenario.

Didn't Kramer on Seinfeld do something similar, just start showing up for work?

My favorite quote was:

"Can I buy you lunch?"
"I'm not hungry, I just ate a jar full of olives!"

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
I guess there is some ambiguity. I interpreted it as Don seeing that he could make something up, and give it a shot. In other words, Roger had shown no interest in hiring him, and Don was eager to work there, so he has a plan to show up at the elevator and act like he was hired. If he was really hired, as in he got a drunk offer from Roger, he wouldn't have needed to time his arrival to be there when Roger was at the elevator. Or, knowing Roger was drunk, and possibly forgetful, he figured he better remind him at the elevator. Ok it is totally ambiguous, but I'm going with the "No Offer/Don Has a Plan to get his foot in the door" scenario.

Don had a wonderfully smug look when he got on the elevator, so I'm leaning towards the "Don lied to Sterling and said he had been offered a job" interpretation here.

Gorthaur Melwasul

Reaction score
I really enjoyed the flashback with Don and Roger....and Joan
Pete is a grown man and i like the way he moves for the compagny.
Peggy is not afraid of Don anymore.
The next generation is growing when the actual one is sinking.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
Don had a wonderfully smug look when he got on the elevator, so I'm leaning towards the "Don lied to Sterling and said he had been offered a job" interpretation here.

This. No question.

I thought the scene where he went to bed with the brunette and woke up with the blonde waitress who was calling him Dick was a stroke of genius. Shows just how out of control he's getting.

Peggy is growing a pair. Calling the new art director on his bullshit by stripping down naked and then working that way until he got too uncomfortable and had to get dressed. Standing up to Don. "Fix it."

I also thought she had the best line of the night. When they were pitching the new campaign for Vicks and the art director said "It's pretty much exactly as I pitched it" and she looked straight at him and said, "Yeah I only changed one tiiinnny, little thing." Genius.

office drone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beetleything
The going to bed with one girl and waking up with another was good editing and showed him losing grasp of time and his self..

That part was priceless, b/c when you see the blonde Doris show her face, you're just as confused as Don is, just as you remember that the girl they showed before was a brunette..LOL.

Originally Posted by borderline
Didn't Kramer on Seinfeld do something similar, just start showing up for work?

I think it was George, and being the modest guy he was, he took the smaller office.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
+1 on the Art Director, I thought I passed out watching a previous episode or something...

It could have been worse. You could have passed out and woke up with a different woman.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I also thought she had the best line of the night. When they were pitching the new campaign for Vicks and the art director said "It's pretty much exactly as I pitched it" and she looked straight at him and said, "Yeah I only changed one tiiinnny, little thing." Genius.

That was a great line.

I was momentarily happy, as I thought we were going to get an entire episode without Betty. Almost, but not quite.

Campbell is a weasel but he had the right of it with Lane. As partner, he should have been consulted, and I think he was almost justified in setting the tone with Cosgrove.

I'm trying to figure out why Don is living in such a crappy apartment. Betty is remarried, so no alimony. I can't imagine child support is that much. It puzzles me.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

I'm trying to figure out why Don is living in such a crappy apartment. Betty is remarried, so no alimony. I can't imagine child support is that much. It puzzles me.

Don is Dick Whitman, a bum.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ballsy Pete is really an improvement. The scene where he leaned back in the chair and looked at Cosgrove like "yeah, that's right" was a nice touch.

Best line: "I always liked chocolate ice cream but my mother made us eat vanilla because it didn't stain anything."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads