• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Despos Thread

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm not disgusted by you, but I'm also not feigning my frustration. You launch criticisms that don't appear to have any objective basis, throwing around terms like "shoulder seam" and "drape" without knowing what they mean, and sending up rules of fit that are merely figments of your imagination. Meanwhile you attach adjectives like "sexy" and "fantastic" to something like a lapel without being able to explain what actually makes it special to you.

Have you considered that I agree with Vox a lot more than I agree with you simply because Vox is right a lot more than you are?

As for drape, I'm not the first to cast doubt on this squishy concept. As for what I find sexy, how can it ever be concretely described? It's intangible - and is based upon a look in total and its commensurate aesthetic qualities. As for your fandom of certain SFers, I am by far not the first to document it, but to say that these mancrushes are "right" is hilarious - the vast majority of what we discuss here is subjective, which means that, by definition, there is no right and wrong.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I would wear that polo, and if I did, it would rock without apology. It's one of the classic configurations for one. dopey, afaik, was toying with getting a tie front polo made. - B
Personally, I feel coats like that belong in a older, more elegant age. I'm not sure how the Hoi Poloi would react to the belt in these egalitarian albeit less elegant times. However, if one is driven about in the back of a Royce, what need not concern oneself with the 'opinions' of mere street urchins. You understand.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Personally, I feel coats like that belong in a older, more elegant age. I'm not sure how the Hoi Poloi would react to the belt in these egalitarian albeit less elegant times.

However, if one is driven about in the back of a Royce, what need not concern oneself with the 'opinions' of mere street urchins.

You understand.

smile.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
As for drape, I'm not the first to cast doubt on this squishy concept.
It's not a "squishy concept." The dispute is over whether drape looks good and whether it can be an effect of good tailoring. Most of the avid participants in the debate at least understand what drape means. The Despos coat exhibits no drape. So, when you say it has too much drape, and associate your meaning of drape with what others are talking about, it sounds an awful lot like you simply don't know what drape is.
As for what I find sexy, how can it ever be concretely described? It's intangible - and is based upon a look in total and its commensurate aesthetic qualities. As for your fandom of certain SFers, I am by far not the first to document it, but to say that these mancrushes are "right" is hilarious - the vast majority of what we discuss here is subjective, which means that, by definition, there is no right and wrong.
You can call whatever you want "sexy" or "fantastic" or "orgasmic" or whatever. But you don't seem to have a handle on the basic objective measures that determine how well a suit is tailored. So, when you denounce shoulder extension as bad tailoring, but don't have a basis for such a judgment, and then go on to talk about a sexy lapel without reference to anything tangible, it appears that you're just blowing hot air. Perhaps what you're missing is that much of what we discuss here isn't subjective.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
It's not a "squishy concept." The dispute is over whether drape looks good and whether it can be an effect of good tailoring. Most of the avid participants in the debate at least understand what drape means. The Despos coat exhibits no drape. So, when you say it has too much drape, and associate your meaning of drape with what others are talking about, it sounds an awful lot like you simply don't know what drape is.

Tuttofattoamano on "drape":

"Founded in 1906 by Frederick Scholte’s undercutter, Per Anderson, the house has been fairly faithful to their house cut of a soft, draped coat. Depending on which sources you consult, this can mean all sorts of things. I admit that I am not a fan of what I have seen from them, namely overly wide, droopy shoulders and lumpy, messy chests, not to mention the backs and the sleeves which I think could be improved a lot."

Foof - don't mind him, though, he's just a tailor. You know, a guy who - um - does this **** for a living. Unlike you, who are a...wait, what are you again? A Rubinacci-owner. Ah. Carry on...

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Another drape argument...

HomerSimpson2.gif

bored+baby.bmp

yawn.jpg

Yeah, shame on me. I'll give myself an obligatory fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu (
ffffuuuu.gif
) and move on.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what happens when 2 lawyers disagree. Should someone start a Brown law vs Northwestern law?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
This is what happens when 2 lawyers disagree. Should someone start a Brown law vs Northwestern law?
No, way to Bleak House.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe that Foof attended the U of C, a very fine institution, for law school. He went to Brown for college; I went to the same school as this chap...

459px-Bill_Clinton.jpg

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tuttofattoamano on "drape": Depending on which sources you consult, this can mean all sorts of things.

Foof - don't mind him, though, he's just a tailor. You know, a guy who - um - does this **** for a living. Unlike you, who are a...wait, what are you again? A Rubinacci-owner. Ah. Carry on...

To be fair, the rise of the internet and discussions like this one lead to a multitude of "sources" that don't really know what they're talking about, so this is true of many subjects.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to the same school as this chap...

459px-Bill_Clinton.jpg

confused.gif

(...)I've interviewed on behalf of my firm at Northwestern Law (my alma mater) for the past four years, and here are my thoughts on the matter, based on my experience, year after year
frown.gif
...)

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
confused.gif

Right:

Bull: Georgetown (college), Northwstern (law).

Foo: Brown (college), U of C (law).

If I have said anything to the contrary during the duration of my membership here, please let me know, as it means that someone has hacked my account and is posting as me
smile.gif

Usul

Reaction score
Right:

Bull: Georgetown (college), Northwstern (law).

Foo: Brown (college), U of C (law).

If I have said anything to the contrary during the duration of my membership here, please let me know, as it means that someone has hacked my account and is posting as me
smile.gif

Is this to mean Foo>Bull ?

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads