• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
actually i've been wondering that. should i start collecting now? when did you guys start collecting wines?

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont think you should. I have not been active in this thread recently but from what I gather, you are rather young in your wine drinking career. Over time your pallate is going to change significantly and you dont want to spend big bucks on a collectors wine, only to find out a couple of years down the road you cant stand that style of wine anymore. Personally, I think you should spend your money on wine and keep on drinking, learning and exploring. Only then will you know what you truly like and what you would want to put away.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I dont think you should. I've have not been active in this thread recently but from what I gather you are rather young in your wine drinking career. Over time your pallate is going to change significantly and you dont want to spend big bucks on a collectors wine only to find out a couple of years down the road you arent into that type of wine anymore. Personally, I would just spend your money on wine and keep on drinking, learning and exploring. Only then will you know what you truly like and what you would want to put away.

This is good advice.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is true. it's just that i keep reading about wines that need 10, 20 years of aging and i'm wondering if i start collecting when i get a job (hopefully as a doctor) i'll be 40, 50 when i finally get to drink them

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
this is true. it's just that i keep reading about wines that need 10, 20 years of aging and i'm wondering if i start collecting when i get a job (hopefully as a doctor) i'll be 40, 50 when i finally get to drink them

Drinking wine at 40 is not that bad. Trust me.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I dont think you should. I have not been active in this thread recently but from what I gather, you are rather young in your wine drinking career. Over time your pallate is going to change significantly and you dont want to spend big bucks on a collectors wine, only to find out a couple of years down the road you cant stand that style of wine anymore. Personally, I think you should spend your money on wine and keep on drinking, learning and exploring. Only then will you know what you truly like and what you would want to put away.

this.

However, a small wine cooler/fridge isn't a bad idea. Not for long term storing, but rather for ensuring proper temperatures are maintained for both short term storing and drinking. Unless you're a baller at 312 College Ave (or whatever it is), odds are your apartment fluctuates in temperature quite a bit. This generally isn't the best for wines, but if it's not over a long period I wouldn't worry too much. I like mine because the whites and reds are always served at a consistent temperature and IMO this can make a big difference (especially in the heat of the summer or the cold of the winter). I'm sure Target has a 6-bottle holder for like $60.

Which reminds me, drink you whites closer to room temperature. Fridge temp (and even wines that have been out of the fridge for a while) will be too cold and all of their subtleties will be masked by the cold.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
oh, and Saturday we went to a small dinner party. 5 total wines were served, but none were brilliant.

First was Oyster Bay SB (from NZ). This was fine, but just a touch over the top for me (my complaint with many of the NZ Saub Blancs lately).
Then was the Gru-Vee Gruner Veltliner from Austria. I've had this before but still found it a little boring.
Then a Rose from Provence. Awful, it tasted like tart water. I forgot the producer.
Next a Pinotage from Cali - this was rather nice and welcomed after the plunk before it.
Finally a Cote du Rhone. Also rather nice and a good way to end the night.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've had the Oyster Bay. I don't remember anything being over the top, Gome. What was it for you? I seem to remember a lot of citrus and maybe grassy?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
too much of that green, citrus, and a touch higher sugar content. Made the wine out of balance IMO.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I bought my first two cases of lay-down wine within a week of my 21st birthday.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
too much of that green, citrus, and a touch higher sugar content. Made the wine out of balance IMO.

Maybe bottle variation? I seem to remember the grass and citrus but didn't think that for an NZ SB it was bad. Some I've had remind me of a big field that has just be cut.

Originally Posted by Manton

You are not normal. I mean that in the nicest way.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

Wines were a lot cheaper in the early 1900's.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Maybe bottle variation? I seem to remember the grass and citrus but didn't think that for an NZ SB it was bad. Some I've had remind me of a big field that has just be cut.

not bottle variation, just personal taste. Because I drink far more whites from the Loire, Italy, and Austria, the mildly grassy SB's seem over the top to me anyways. Two years ago, when I drank a lot more Kiwi wines, I likely would have disagreed.

cmsmith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I've had the Oyster Bay. I don't remember anything being over the top, Gome. What was it for you? I seem to remember a lot of citrus and maybe grassy?

I had this a while back as well, there was a lot of citrus in it. There's certainly enough other NZ SBs that I liked a lot more.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some recent purchases for my cellar... now I just have to exercise enormous patience...

How do you say yum, yum, yum in French?

l1010204medium.jpg

l1010205medium.jpg

Domaine Tempier is a very good Bandol producer - here are three of their reds - La Tourtine, La Migoua and Classique.
l1010207medium.jpg

Case of each of these to enjoy with my kids (their birthyears)
l1010209medium.jpg

2006 Bordeaux sampler
l1010210medium.jpg

l1010211medium.jpg

l1010212medium.jpg

l1010213medium.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads