• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jackets at thrift stores

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
I've made the decision to check out some thrift stores to see what I can find in the realm of leather jackets, however, I haven't been to a thrift store in ages, so I have a question:

What are the odds of finding a leather jacket in size XS? Best fit for me for outwear. What about size S? I *might* be able to get a decent enough fit.

The closest store I'm going to try out is a Goodwill, however, it's quite a far drive from my house, so I wanted a general idea of if the trip would likely even be worth it looking for such small sizes.

Thanks in advance guys!

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foryoureyesonly
What are the odds of finding a leather jacket in size XS?

It is impossible to answer your question, but the chances are pretty slim. You want to find a nice leather jacket, in the right size, at a good prices and not too thrashed about with just one single visit to a Goodwill shop. You might have difficulties finding the right jacket by visiting a single men's fashion shop, willing to pay full price.

Your chances to find the right, small size depends also where you live. If the majority of men in your part of the world are petite (Asia), you'll have more chances than if you live somewhere where the majority of men are shaped like brick-built **** houses.

But then, who knows.......you might be first-time lucky. - Good luck!

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
It is impossible to answer your question, but the chances are pretty slim. You want to find a nice leather jacket, in the right size, at a good prices and not too thrashed about with just one single visit to a Goodwill shop. You might have difficulties finding the right jacket by visiting a single men's fashion shop, willing to pay full price.

Your chances to find the right, small size depends also where you live. If the majority of men in your part of the world are petite (Asia), you'll have more chances than if you live somewhere where the majority of men are shaped like brick-built **** houses.

But then, who knows.......you might be first-time lucky. - Good luck!

For some reason I didn't even take into consideration the size of the men in my area--they're mostly mountains of men, *sigh*. If only one of their children wore an XS or S, but then most children don't wear leather jackets. Hmmm...my hopes are going down the drain.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E-bay is a better bet. There's very little S stuff at thirft sotres generally, much less XS, unless you check the kids for children's 16 or 18 stuff. And leather jackets see quickly, both to people who really want one and to people looking to flip on e-bay.

mic

Reaction score
Effective thrifting takes a commitment. Basically, you have to go every week, expecting to find nothing, and eventually you are likely to come out with some good pieces.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
E-bay is a better bet. There's very little S stuff at thirft sotres generally, much less XS, unless you check the kids for children's 16 or 18 stuff. And leather jackets see quickly, both to people who really want one and to people looking to flip on e-bay.

+1 i'm hard to fit, too. i can find great sweaters, etc., at thrifts, but for jackets and suits, i have to go to EBay, or, occasionally B&S. i still love thrifting, just for the hunt of it.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mic
Effective thrifting takes a commitment. Basically, you have to go every week, expecting to find nothing, and eventually you are likely to come out with some good pieces.

This.

You will find one eventually.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
This.

You will find one eventually.

actually, in my experience, you may not. but you'll find lots of great stuff along the way and have lots of fun.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've gone to thrift stores multiple times and found nothing of worth. 2 weeks ago I went and found 5 articles of clothing that I'm throwing in to the regular mix.

It's just luck when you find something, but it costs nothing to browse. So just keep up the searching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads