• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rubinacci Thread.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Tailor gives life to the cloth, the man gives life to the suit.

+1

Some guys are like zombies though so you will only see a nice suit walking. If there isn't any 'chemistry' between the man and the suit it doesn't make much sense to me.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Need, aye, but want?

The best things in life are free
But you can give them to the birds and bees
I want money

That's what I want
That's what I want
That's what I want

You love gives me such a thrill
But your love won't pay my bills
I want money

That's what I want
That's what I want
That's what I want

Money don't get everything it's true
But what it don't get I can't use
I want money

That's what I want
That's what I want
That's what I want

I want money
I want lots of money
In fact I want so much money
Give me your money
Just give me money
(To buy bespoke)​

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
No, it's not odd at all. Honestly, what you're saying is simply objectively wrong. The outermost point of your jacket shoulders should not necessarily match that of your own. They say so in GQ and Esquire, but it's rote idiocy--just like when they tell you "high armholes" and pick-stitching make a better suit. The real story is that it depends on your particular physique and the style of the jacket.

I read neither GQ or Esquire, and I still disagree with you. Bottom line: if the armscye is hanging a few inches off of your shoulder, I could give a **** what anyone says - it's going to look crazy and awful. Doesn't matter if the Rubi's think it looks acceptable. To me, they cut an unacceptably long sleeve - I'm sure it's not beyond them to **** up the shoulder every once in a while (as they did with Beppe) and to say it's deliberate, as well (and for you to believe it).

As for narrow shoulders being all over SF, I took a quick spin through the Foofing thread and could not find an obvious example of shoulders being cut too narrow. Again, probably just my un-discerning eyes again, but what I see WAY more of is shoulder pads protruding far off of the shoulder. I still need to see a clear cut example of narrow shoulders so that I can understand this concept.

Are Phat Guido's shoulders cut too narrow? Maybe some would say so, but, to me, they look basically flawless.

johnybob

Reaction score
wow, this thread pics look like poor cosplay to me
but maybe im jealous of midget asians spending thousands to look like a white person...

p.s. im midget asian myself, so no hate pls

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnybob
but maybe im jealous of midget asians spending thousands to look like a white person...

Someone needs to sig this.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnybob

Forgiven since it is your 4th post, but 4 might bring you bad luck also
smile.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Someone needs to sig this.

it's tempting...

johnybob

Reaction score
actually, that's my friend, he used my account
i'm between us 4 and us 3 in shoes

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS

Money don't get everything it's true
But what it don't get I can't use

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
I read neither GQ or Esquire, and I still disagree with you. Bottom line: if the armscye is hanging a few inches off of your shoulder, I could give a **** what anyone says - it's going to look crazy and awful. Doesn't matter if the Rubi's think it looks acceptable. To me, they cut an unacceptably long sleeve - I'm sure it's not beyond them to **** up the shoulder every once in a while (as they did with Beppe) and to say it's deliberate, as well (and for you to believe it).
Rubinacci cuts an unacceptably long sleeve but Sciamat cuts an acceptably poofy sleevehead?
smile.gif
Here is the simple truth: it takes zero added skill or effort to cut sleeves half a centimeter shorter, so not doing so implies a conscious choice. Moreover, there is no settled debate as to how much shirt cuff one should show. Some say only a silver, if at all. As for the armscye issue: a number of very reputable bespoke tailors are known to extend jacket shoulders. Are they simply too incompetent or lazy to do otherwise? My opinion on this issue is based on what looks good to me, speaking to more experienced bespoke clients, and learning from tailors themselves. If you aren't getting your rules from GQ or Esquire, what on earth inspired your theory of shoulder fit? Honestly, it sounds bizarre to me--not unlike when someone asserts that trousers should never have pleats or that jacket length should be measured with respect to some point on one's hands. If I recall, you are a fan of Luca Rubinacci's suits. Care to wager how much shoulder extension he's got? This isn't a fair bet.
Originally Posted by Bull
As for narrow shoulders being all over SF, I took a quick spin through the Foofing thread and could not find an obvious example of shoulders being cut too narrow. Again, probably just my un-discerning eyes again, but what I see WAY more of is shoulder pads protruding far off of the shoulder. I still need to see a clear cut example of narrow shoulders so that I can understand this concept.
One of my most frequent fixes is to extend the shoulders. When they are too narrow, arms bulge and waists disappear.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm not even sure what you're getting at when you say "more revealing." No doubt I will be called arrogant or blind for saying so, but I think a large part of the problem is that many people simply don't know what they're looking at and have no idea how to assess a suit's fit.

All it takes for a suit's fit to garner widespread praise on SF are "high armholes" and a cinched-in waist. That's a pretty low and misplaced bar.

Allow me: this post does indeed come across as a bit arrogant. Not blind, just a bit arrogant.

Originally Posted by teddieriley
Meow Meow's Liverano is probably one of the best SC's I've seen posted on SF ever. But that's just my opinion, of course.

It's indeed just your opinion, but you're not alone in holding it.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I think it's more because on a RTW coat, extended shoulders genuinely ARE a sign of "too big" because of the way RTW block patterns are cut. The whole architecture of the coat--every other dimension--is based on the sizing of the shoulders. The rest will not only look but actually be "too big." You can cinch in the waist to accomodate for that but that's about all you can do.

Whereas with bespoke the extended shoulder is part of an overall whole that is more fitted to you; not just the waist but the chest, the length, the skirt, the back, the sleeve width, and on and on. I suppose someone could design a RTW block pattern that achieves this, and maybe someone has, but I don't know of any current examples.

Keep in mind also that extended shoulders can be made (roughly speaking) in one of two ways. Either they are meant to droop down or they are quite padded and sort of "stick out." The latter is really uncommon these days but was all the rage in the late '30s through the mid '40s. It's a very agressive look. Check out those suits and you will see that the rest of the coat is quite fitted. They don't look "too big" but they do look exaggerated, taste-wise, by today's standards.

Some Kiton jackets have extended shoulders, but not even close to the degree of extension on bespoke.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulder boards look great.

I'm amazed anybody would argue somebody like the older gentleman in the photo would look better with narrower shoulders. He'd end up looking like an egg.

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

Dude, that's genius!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads