• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown in Town.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I want a brown suit but I'm at odds at what to make up. I want to be able to maximize its use so I'm leaning towards a 2/3 season fabric - possibly a 9/10 oz nailhead from Smiths? On the other hand I'm in love with the idea of a brown glen check or houndstooth in flannel as impractical it would be for me in Atlanta. If you had to get just one brown suit, what would it be and why?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
So I want a brown suit but I'm at odds at what to make up. I want to be able to maximize its use so I'm leaning towards a 2/3 season fabric - possibly a 9/10 oz nailhead from Smiths? On the other hand I'm in love with the idea of a brown glen check or houndstooth in flannel as impractical it would be for me in Atlanta. If you had to get just one brown suit, what would it be and why?
The Brown chalkstripe that Voxsartoria has ordered. The bastard. Totally useless in Georgia though. Have you considered Brown linen?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
The Brown chalkstripe that Voxsartoria has ordered. The bastard.

Totally useless in Georgia though.

Have you considered Brown linen?

I don't know George - I just don't think I would like it - I want to be able to wear it to business meetings - linen may be a bit too far for the clients I deal with. There is an attractive brown with wheat accents in the H&S Crispaire book that I was drawn to but I'm not entirely sold on it. At a minimum, I want some variation or texture - nailhead, pindot, houndstooth, etc.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently ordered a milk chocolate brown mohair from Rubinacci. I think it's 9 oz. I wanted a brown suit that I could wear in the heat of southwest Louisiana.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Biil...

There are some incredible brown nail heads in the Lesser 9.5/10oz and 13oz books. I have both and wear them to work regularly with no issues. I also just had a brown POW form the Lesser Superfine Tropical book made up that is awesome, though somewhat less versatile.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Lesser 9.5/10 brown nailhead. It's gorgeous. It's dark, Flusser would call it "charcoal brown." It's a great three season suit. The cloth is about the best made of any kind there is. The pattern is interesting without being loud or hard to coordinate.

/Thread.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I don't know George - I just don't think I would like it - I want to be able to wear it to business meetings - linen may be a bit too far for the clients I deal with. There is an attractive brown with wheat accents in the H&S Crispaire book that I was drawn to but I'm not entirely sold on it. At a minimum, I want some variation or texture - nailhead, pindot, houndstooth, etc.
Well, Mr V's suit is a Minnis flannel, which may get a bit toasty in Georgia. I think Minnis do a Fresco in Brown so that's something to consider. I think Glen plaids look good in brown, have a look at Scabal, there are a few in the Lifestyle book which feel like lightweight flannels. I think with Brown you need texture, a pattern or an interesting weave. Brown twills or plain weaves do not look good IMHO, too uniform looking. Nail heads, birds eyes, glen checks, stripes etc.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There is no brown Minnis fresco. I have a lovely brown fresco 3-ply from the despised Tip Top but I don't know who made it.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
There is no brown Minnis fresco. I have a lovely brown fresco 3-ply from the despised Tip Top but I don't know who made it.

I also have a brown fresco-like H&S cloth, though I believe that has also been discontinued.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0518 says dark brown. However, it's been a while since I looked at that book so I'm not sure how dark or how brown it is.

BBC

Reaction score
My "brown in town" suit is a Hickey Freeman light brown herringbone with a subtle pinstripe in a light tweed.

Here's an old pic
sdfg008.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
0518 says dark brown. However, it's been a while since I looked at that book so I'm not sure how dark or how brown it is.

Hmm, I see it on the web but Jodek apparently has pulled it from the books in NYC. That generally means it ran out at some point in the past.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm, I see it on the web but Jodek apparently has pulled it from the books in NYC. That generally means it ran out at some point in the past.

I don't recall having seen it the books either.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One from the Scabal Lifestyle book.
glencheck1dx4.jpg

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Succumbing to one of this Forum's most esteemed participant's unrelenting -- if misplaced -- entreaties about adding a brown city suit to my wardrobe, I did have one made up in a Lumb's golden bale dark brown. Lovely fabric. And I know I have worn it at least once
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads