• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College student budget fashion

mattt

Reaction score
I'm a jobless college student, but that's never stopped me from buying some decent clothes. Isn't that what student loans are for?
laugh.gif

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
I have a part-time, and I did the same *********** summer except I went for two designer pieces and some mass fashion stuff. I was speaking for the OP who doesn't have a job. Only difference is I haven't bought schoolbooks yet :p

Yeah, I was more speaking in general terms as in "it's totally possible to cop nice stuff as a student". Sounds like the OP needs to worry less about a wardrobe, and more about copping a new stream of income.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Campus part time jobs pay decent too. When I was an undergrad, I had classmates that worked 12-15 hours a week at the library and such, making no less than $11/hour.

fungz0r

Reaction score
Well it's not that I'm a completely broke ass student, I have enough money for tuition and food and going out for dinner once in awhile. I can afford to invest in quality clothing for a decent price, so I think APC jeans seem decent, along with a pair of boots since i live in a rainy city.

Thanks for all the replies though, seems like I should just go for slowly buying more and more, then seeing what fits me well and looks nice

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by captmomo
muji and uniqlo too.

IME muji clothes don't fit that great but they go into discount easily.

I'm a highschool student with basically no money, but i find some nice stuff at thrift stores (Can't really do B&S). Do you guys look out for sample sales? If so, how?

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
I think the best advice is to spend time on the board and research for yourself rather than have people give you instructions. There's some good advice here but there's also some advice that won't work for everyone. Spend some time poring over the stickied threads and learning about what sort of aesthetic people abide by here.

Most on-campus P/T jobs pay around $9-11/hr, right? So that means w/in a month you should be earning at least $500. Within 2 months, you should be able to afford a pair of CPs and a pair of APC NS. Alternatively, you could get several pairs of Gap denim, but the fit/quality will be inferior - it's your choice

EDIT: Oh, and best to go w/ fail-safe purchases at first (e.g. APC NS)

newinny

Reaction score
Have you considered inheriting a lot of money?

Also only buy Rick Owens.

dave333

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
There is not enough
ffffuuuu.gif
in the world

Get to the lax bro part at the end, I'm sure you'll enjoy

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
I'd like to chip into this conversationas well since I'm in my second year of undergrad.

Imployt was right to say that you definitely need a well-fitting suit. During the school year, you will undoubtedly have to wear a suit AT LEAST ONCE whether it's for an interview or event. You don't have to buy the suit now, but you should save up for the whole ensemble.

Also, follow his advice to invest in some nice sneakers. You can find CPs on sale in B+S for half their retail price, you just have to be patient. You can be frugal and buy all your clothes from fast fashion like H+M, but you can't skimp on footwear. Having a pair of CPs or any baller sneaker (that isn't outlandish) will set you above the chuck/nike running shoes wearing crowd.

Do not drop a wad of cash on everything at once. Your aesthetic WILL change. Like others suggested, be cheap on the basics so long as they fit you. Interesting pieces (with unusual fabrics or cut) will be where you want to spend money on. Styleforum's B&S and sufu's marketplace are your bestest friends. You will find designer clothing with price slashes that will make your head spin.

I want to emphasize once more, DO NOT BUY A LOAD OF **** NOW. You may regret your buys later. Go lurk on WAYWT to get a sense of what you like and then wait for similar items on B&S. That way you will save a lot more and be able to be a mid-level baller.

Piroshky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
I'd like to chip into this conversationas well since I'm in my second year of undergrad.

Imployt was right to say that you definitely need a well-fitting suit. During the school year, you will undoubtedly have to wear a suit AT LEAST ONCE whether it's for an interview or event. You don't have to buy the suit now, but you should save up for the whole ensemble.

Also, follow his advice to invest in some nice sneakers. You can find CPs on sale in B+S for half their retail price, you just have to be patient. You can be frugal and buy all your clothes from fast fashion like H+M, but you can't skimp on footwear. Having a pair of CPs or any baller sneaker (that isn't outlandish) will set you above the chuck/nike running shoes wearing crowd.

Do not drop a wad of cash on everything at once. Your aesthetic WILL change. Like others suggested, be cheap on the basics so long as they fit you. Interesting pieces (with unusual fabrics or cut) will be where you want to spend money on. Styleforum's B&S and sufu's marketplace are your bestest friends. You will find designer clothing with price slashes that will make your head spin.

I want to emphasize once more, DO NOT BUY A LOAD OF **** NOW. You may regret your buys later. Go lurk on WAYWT to get a sense of what you like and then wait for similar items on B&S. That way you will save a lot more and be able to be a mid-level baller.

In three of years of schooling I have never once needed a suit. A decent jacket and slacks/chinos with an OCBD will serve you fine.

But everything else counts. Do spend your money on footwear that will last (last being relative, but something 1+ years is ideal). You're likely going to get taller/fill out, but your feet size will very likely not change, so now's as good a time as any to invest in something that will be kind to your feet and be durable. Of course I'm not recommending a pair of Alden's, simply that if the $90 price tag of DB's or another boot/sneaker scares you, know that it'll last you quite a while. It is budget-smart to purchase items once for a little bit more than to have to keep replacing items.

Do shop smart, as in waiting to purchase those big price items during sale times (Christmas, July 4th, etc) and buying out-of-season if applicable. Do buy utilitarian, like others have suggested, you should find pieces and basics that can be worn multiple times throughout the week, so pick things that work well with the other pieces of your wardrobe (essentially, consider thoroughly how each item you purchase will work with all the other clothes you have).

Don't be afraid to invest in good outwear, especially if you live in colder climates, however, do consider how many seasons each item you're looking at will work well in (i.e., it may be better to buy that pair of chinos which can be worn in fall, winter, and spring v.s. those linen pants which'll only really work well in summer). Buy used when possible.

Write everything you want down, build outfits, and realize the items which don't really mesh. Develop a simple budget, and agree to only spend a fraction on clothes each month, because your desired aesthetic may change from month to month or even week to week.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^You might not have needed to wear a suit ever but it probably would've been nice if you had worn one on certain occasions.

Style noobs: get yourself a suit, even if it's from H&M, you should have one that fits so you can clown on all the fools at formals in their rentatux garbage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads