• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

6'1, 130 pounds, time to suit up!

NotsoStylish

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm in need of a suit by next month, and I don't want to look like an idiot in big baggy suit like I usually do... I'm 6'1 and 130 pounds.. as muscular as can be at my weight, and I don't have a huge amount of money to spend, >$500 is a nono for a poor college student
facepalm.gif
Anyways, I live in the San Francisco bay area, where can I go to find the best looking suit for a rail-thin guy? And yes, I've used search a bit to no great results. And thank you!
smile.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
you should go something with a designer. try a mid level one like theory or john varvatos usa, they do make a decent suit, and the cut is very slim for these two makers. should you be a 36 or 38, they do have a size for you. gilt and other sites had sales that brought their suits down to as low as 200 dollars. go check a bloomingdales too

NotsoStylish

Reaction score
Ack, I just measured myself and I'm roughly a size 34
facepalm.gif
, haha thank you though I will visit Bloomingdales and I really like the look of those theory suits without the $900 price tag

Anybody else have any suggestions for me?
blush.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You have a 34 chest? I really don't mean this as a joke, but that seems very hard to imagine. I used to be an absolute beanpole at 6'2 and around 150 in my more gangly and awkward years, and even then, I had a 38 inch chest.

You might want to look into retailers that sell suit separates. I think Brooks Brothers still does, but I'm not 100% sure. Any jacket you buy will no doubt come with pants that are way too short for you. Not to mention sleeves that will be too short for you, which is a slightly more annoying problem.

Ultimately, no matter what you buy, it will probably need anywhere from $25-100 worth of alterations to fit reasonably well. So factor that into your cost, too.

dv_indian

Reaction score
Spend $200 to buy beer and junk food. Eat, drink and bulk up a little. Then buy a suit for $100 from a thrift store. With the remaining $200 you can buy text books.

NotsoStylish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
You have a 34 chest? I really don't mean this as a joke, but that seems very hard to imagine. I used to be an absolute beanpole at 6'2 and around 150 in my more gangly and awkward years, and even then, I had a 38 inch chest.

You might want to look into retailers that sell suit separates. I think Brooks Brothers still does, but I'm not 100% sure. Any jacket you buy will no doubt come with pants that are way too short for you. Not to mention sleeves that will be too short for you, which is a slightly more annoying problem.

Ultimately, no matter what you buy, it will probably need anywhere from $25-100 worth of alterations to fit reasonably well. So factor that into your cost, too.

Well I am a skinny beanpole heh, but that's a good point, I doubt they have size 34 suits for my lanky arms and legs...
I've never had a suit altered or tailored before.. if I buy the suit in pieces somewhere, where can I get it altered to fit perfectly? Sorry, I just have no experience with these things
plain.gif

dv_indian -- Haha, I try to bulk! but I end up losing weight falling back into old eating habits, but that's a topic for a bodybuilding forum
laugh.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NotsoStylish
Well I am a skinny beanpole heh, but that's a good point, I doubt they have size 34 suits for my lanky arms and legs...
I've never had a suit altered or tailored before.. if I buy the suit in pieces somewhere, where can I get it altered to fit perfectly? Sorry, I just have no experience with these things
plain.gif

dv_indian -- Haha, I try to bulk! but I end up losing weight falling back into old eating habits, but that's a topic for a bodybuilding forum
laugh.gif

A good tailor can work small miracles. But certain feats are beyond the ability of even a miracle worker. These would generally include adding fabric to, or lengthening, anything beyond what "hidden" extra fabric there may be to let out -- which often isn't much. Other near-impossible things would be trimming a suit that is more than a size too big down to your size. Finally, altering the width of the shoulders is extremely hard to do. There are some tailors who can pull off the degree of surgery required, but their services will not come cheap.

My best advice would be to find a suit that fits perfectly in the shoulders and, one hopes, reasonably well in the chest. That way, the hardest parts to alter don't need to be altered. From there, you can do a lot about the waist of the jacket and the length and width of the pants.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NotsoStylish
Kinda makes me nervous about buying something online though
I would strongly advise against buying online in your situation. You need to go into a store, try stuff on, and figure out a decent starting point in terms of fit and size. Unfortunately, God did not give you the easiest body type in the world to fit into RTW suits. This means that you will absolutely need some trial and error fitting.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the few times I would ever recommend indochino. Theres no way you'll find a 34 chest with long ass arms.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv_indian
Spend $200 to buy beer and junk food. Eat, drink and bulk up a little. Then buy a suit for $100 from a thrift store. With the remaining $200 you can buy text books.

This.

myke

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
I'd suggest checking out ehaberdasher.com, and looking at the benjamin model. It's in your price range and it should be a great buy for you. You'll have to figure out the size for yourself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads