• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Despos Thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I always like this Despos number that was posted on AAAC a few years ago:

359n1ac.jpg

2nlxzlv.jpg

- B

A bit of drape there, but still surprising that you like it considering the structure.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
A bit of drape there, but still surprising that you like it considering the structure.

I am able to like things that I do not typically wear myself.

I realize this makes me a bad candidate for Internet religious wars.

- B

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This suit was made for me by a Mystery Bespoke Chicago/Dallas Tailor (or MBC/DT, for short). I will not be revealing his name, however as I don't think that such things are appropriate on such a public website. It is my only MBC/DT creation to this point although I hope to commission many other things in the future.
WAYWN085.jpg

WAYWN087-1.jpg

Let me also weigh in on the fact that Despos (who may, or may not have any relationship to the MBC/DT) is a GMF.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for creating such an important thread.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
Thank you for creating such an important thread.

Damn. That's almost a dopey-level sentence.

Well done.

- B

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
all the accolades you have heard about him are well deserved.
i am not a customer of his.
but will visit him on occasion when i am in chicago.
he is a good person and a good tailor to know.
i last saw him several months ago, and i dont think he changed since then.

stop in and visit him. you might see other members there.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
359n1ac.jpg
2nlxzlv.jpg
- B

He likes a strong shoulder line doesn't he?

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The severe lack of Despos pics out there indicates that Despos' clientele is way too busy running the world to **** around posting pics of their new patch pocket 3Bs in a totally kewl bolt of cloth from the Unfunded Liabilities thread.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
The severe lack of Despos pics out there indicates that Despos' clientele is way too busy running the world to **** around posting pics of their new patch pocket 3Bs in a totally kewl bolt of cloth from the Unfunded Liabilities thread.

There are actually quite a few Despos pics, just not recently.

This is not to say that his clients are not busy running the world...I don't know how many Chinese and Saudi customers he has.

- B

literasyme

Reaction score

359n1ac.jpg

I like these -- not what I'd choose to wear, given the amount of structure, but very nicely shaped. One thing, though: clearly, the wearer (and/or Despos) decided to keep the sleeves that short. I'm fairly certain that if this were an RTW suit, people would say they're too short. No?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
I like these -- not what I'd choose to wear, given the amount of structure, but very nicely shaped. One thing, though: clearly, the wearer (and/or Despos) decided to keep the sleeves that short. I'm fairly certain that if this were an RTW suit, people would say they're too short. No?

That's always the problem with posting these sorts of pictures. You never know what is the tailor's work, what is the wearer's instruction and what is just plain-old bad photography.

What's important to know is that Chris is extremely attentive to detail. He will see a million little things that you won't notice about fit and won't call it finished until he's completely satisfied. I don't think anyone would call the sleeves on the jacket I posted too short. They would call the photography extremely poor, but that's on me, not on Chris.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
That's always the problem with posting these sorts of pictures. You never know what is the tailor's work, what is the wearer's instruction and what is just plain-old bad photography.

What's important to know is that Chris is extremely attentive to detail. He will see a million little things that you won't notice about fit and won't call it finished until he's completely satisfied. I don't think anyone would call the sleeves on the jacket I posted too short. They would call the photography extremely poor, but that's on me, not on Chris.

Yep.

If you look at the many yachtie Despos pics, y. tended to wear his sleeves longer.

Sleeve length and pants break seem like logical places to yield first to a customer who has different preferences than the tailor.

- B

literasyme

Reaction score
I agree -- and I didn't mean to call Despos out in any way. On the other hand, the shortness of the sleeves in those photos (not yours) is obviously real and has nothing to do with a lack of photo skills. My point wasn't that those sleeves are too short per se -- I do believe sleeve length is a matter of personal choice -- but that if this weren't a bespoke suit, people would consider them too short, a reaction the same sleeves do not seem to get because the garment is custom-made.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short sleeves can have a lengthening effect on the arms. It looks great IMO. All of my coats have shortish sleeves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads