• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know it makes me really lowbrow, but I really like the 2006 Cambria Julia's Vineyard Pinot. Popped another bottle last night. I've had something like 2 cases of this wine since about 2008. I've had some bottles that weren't that good, but for the most part it's really been hard to beat for a $20 Pinot.

Sadly, the 2007 version of this that I had really sucked. I have 3 more bottles of the 2006 in the cellar.

Odd to me how controversial this wine is. One of the magazines (Wine Enthusiast, I think) made it its WOTY last year, but other people are pretty vocal about not liking it at all. Put me in the camp of liking it a lot.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well, had a few bottles of wine this week. Best kind of wine too; wine on someone else's expense account
smile.gif
1990 Opus One. I always look askance at Opus, as I feel it's what people that really do not know much about wine buy to show they are spending money on wine. Well, it was incredible. Still lot of fruit, I got vanilla some faint oak. Incredibly complex and very easy to drink. 03 Kosta Browne Kanzler Vineyard. Yeah, these guys deserve their fame. Never had a combination of such powerful fruit yet good acid and tannin. Structure was still strong and it was very complex. Still spicy on the finish. Just for Gome, 07 Pur Sang. Yes, I got to taste his last bottling. We really lost a genius at wine making there. So layered. Peach stone, minerals, and citrus rind. Okay, last one worth writing about. 03, Alder Springs Vineyard, Patz and Hall Pinot. Here's the real kicker: it was a Jeroboam. Reportedly, the only known one to exist. 1.5k. Very rich, plush, smooth and complex. Deep smoke. There were six of us drinking the Patz and Hall, with a glass going to the Somm and Chef too.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Well, had a few bottles of wine this week. Best kind of wine too; wine on someone else's expense account
smile.gif

1990 Opus One. I always look askance at Opus, as I feel it's what people that really do not know much about wine buy to show they are spending money on wine. Well, it was incredible. Still lot of fruit, I got vanilla some faint oak. Incredibly complex and very easy to drink.

03 Kosta Browne Kanzler Vineyard. Yeah, these guys deserve their fame. Never had a combination of such powerful fruit yet good acid and tannin. Structure was still strong and it was very complex. Still spicy on the finish.

Just for Gome, 07 Pur Sang. Yes, I got to taste his last bottling. We really lost a genius at wine making there. So layered. Peach stone, minerals, and citrus rind.

Okay, last one worth writing about. 03, Alder Springs Vineyard, Patz and Hall Pinot. Here's the real kicker: it was a Jeroboam. Reportedly, the only known one to exist. 1.5k. Very rich, plush, smooth and complex. Deep smoke.

There were six of us drinking the Patz and Hall, with a glass going to the Somm and Chef too.

wow.gif
We're not worthy.
worship.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Just for Gome, 07 Pur Sang. Yes, I got to taste his last bottling. We really lost a genius at wine making there. So layered. Peach stone, minerals, and citrus rind.

worth quoting again, awesome score!! The '07 Silex needed time, and I'm sure this does too ... but what a bottle he made.

Didier is
worship.gif

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
Piobare drinking wine from the Loire?!? I jealous!!

I enjoyed a bottle of this a couple years ago - 2005 vintage maybe? also on someone else's dime! - and it was just glorious. Herbal, citrus, saline Pouilly-Fume heaven.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ricardo Malocchio
I enjoyed a bottle of this a couple years ago - 2005 vintage maybe? also on someone else's dime! - and it was just glorious. Herbal, citrus, saline Pouilly-Fume heaven.

the 2005 Pur Sang is an epic wine. One of the best ever IMO

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ricardo Malocchio
Piobare drinking wine from the Loire?!? I jealous!!

I had the 05 also. Head to head with the 07 Merry Edwards, another rarely rated 96 SB. If you search the thread, I believe there are some extensive notes by several of us on the 05 Pur Sang.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Bought a few things today, as there was a 99 cent sale on second bottles. Two most interesting things are the Bordeaux and the Auslese.

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmsmith
Heading out for drinks and food and was looking for a wine rec from this list: http://www.stagewinebar.com/Red-Wines-Jan-2010.pdf

Trying to keep it under $45 for my student budget, not much on this list I've had before so I'm a bit clueless/unsure.

Tough list to keep it under $45 on. I've not had any of these, but would consider the Leceranas Garnacha, the St. Cosme Cotes du Rhone, Syrah and Beronia Rioja Reserva, Tempranillo/Mazuelo/Graciano. I've had the Seghesio Zinfandel but that's over your budget.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tough list to keep it under $45 on. I've not had any of these, but would consider the Leceranas Garnacha, the St. Cosme Cotes du Rhone, Syrah and Beronia Rioja Reserva, Tempranillo/Mazuelo/Graciano. I've had the Seghesio Zinfandel but that's over your budget.

That Altesino Rosso might be worth a flyer.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Guiz, I might be a bit wined out. A couple glasses of Tobin James Zin, two glasses of 00 Grgich Cab, several glasses of Robert Craig Affinity last night. Toss in several Hendricks and tonic and I'm not sure if I'm doing wine for dinner tonight or not.

I am making sure I limit myself to no more than seven glasses at the vintner's dinner this Thursday.

frown.gif

cmsmith

Reaction score

Originally Posted by Cary Grant
That Altesino Rosso might be worth a flyer.

Thanks for the recs. Actually ended up elsewhere last night; had a cheap Argentina malbec, Dona Paula Los Cardos that was okay, and then Katnook founder's block Shiraz that I quite liked, nice fruit up front on it, lots of red berries. Would probably have it again.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i stick wines in my fridge (it's summertime). should i get a small wine cooler?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I personally don't think a wine cooler would be necessary. As long as you let the wines come to the proper temp before drinking them, it won't make much of a diference. Unless you're planning on putting them down for more than a year, the difference between fridge and wine cooler would be negligible (it's only 20 degrees). That said, I love my 12 bottle vinotemp and wish I had been prudent and bought a 24 or larger. They are nice to have, but unnecessary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads