• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats wrong with a black suit?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wideknot
Or if you are in finance, banking, law, design, manufacturing, consulting, education, or even a blues musician . . .

Even if you are in banking (or similar), it's definitely not recommended to go to an interview in a black suit.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing is "wrong" with wearing a black suit. It is just the impression you give off by wearing something that for conservative people is a funerals only suit. In Asia there is less of a stigma against black since the traditional funeral attire there is white. But until such a time as we no longer wear black suits to funerals, the young guy coming in a black suit will remain the laughing stock of the firm. To note, you are better off with varying shades of gray or navy blue if you plan on working in it.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
Certain cultures prefer different colors for different occasions.

Yeah, I found that out the hard way last year. I was in Japan and got myself invited to a wedding. I am not Japanese nor do I have any Japanese ancestry. I didn't know men typically wear black suits to weddings, so I showed up in my Thick As Thieves charcoal pinstripe suit. I think I was the only male there who wasn't in black.
facepalm.gif

I am considering purchasing a black suit only because I have been attending a lot of funerals lately.
frown.gif
Two in the last 18 months, to be precise. I guess as I get older I will have to buy one as more people pass on. I find that most people (myself included) are unable to match black suits properly with other black clothing and accessories. I think part of the problem with black suits is that most people don't know how to pair them correctly; the execution is lacking and it ends up looking bad.

mimile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wideknot
Your assumption that black cannot be worn to as many occasions as charcoal or navy is only an assumption. If you look good in a black suit, wear it anywhere you want to look good.

+1

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For me, charcoal and navy are business staples. Fine in the workplace but a bit square after hours.

Black suits seem bit too 'severe' for the office unless you're in a creative field, but would be my default choice for an after hours function, especially in winter and/or after dark.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In real life, most people can't even tell the difference b/w a black suit and a dark navy suit.
They are functionally equivalent, esp. in "mid/low light", like at a lounge or indoor event at night.

Find yourself a black suit of B&S, and get a great deal on it.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black looks best at night. I would wear a black suit at night without thinking twice about it.

nexus

Reaction score
I work in law and I can't remember the time I saw anyone wear an all-black suit. A fair bit of black pinstripe, though. One of my favourite staple suits is black with subtle burgundy and beige pinstripes.

That said, I HAVE seen people who happen to look fantastic in all black. I think it really requires the right complexion and body type for it to be successful - or maybe a personality so charismatic that you don't even notice the funereal image.

hazelmaeby

Reaction score
To the average North American, it often looks like a uniform for some service jobs: restaurant staff, security guard, etc. Similar with the Hasids here in Miami. It looks like a uniform.

Though I've seen plenty of secret service agents and none I can recall in black. The whole point is not to look uniform, to blend in. They wear plenty of unassuming tones, some dark, some light. I'm sure some wear black, but not all.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PatSharpX
Black suit = funeral. I don't think it fits in any other occasions.
I am thinking about using a black jacket (in lieu of a black Dickies shirt) as a covering for my referee stripes when my duties require it, but that would put it into sports wear, and not menswear. We also choose black as we ref in low light and wish to not to stick out.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hazelmaeby
Though I've seen plenty of secret service agents and none I can recall in black. The whole point is not to look uniform, to blend in. They wear plenty of unassuming tones, some dark, some light. I'm sure some wear black, but not all.

Some FBI agents I've talked to were in black suits.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^I had one like this. It was a great suit that drew many compliments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads