• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Nice 120 mile ride today... spun and tipped over while turning and parking on gravel
facepalm.gif
but managed to save it an inch away form the ground
worship.gif

Good save! Went on a 90 miler with my brother and some friends. Rode to my brothers and from there rode across and around Napa valley. For you Bay Area heads, we took highway 37 toward Napa, then 121 to 116. First stop was Carneros deli for a samich and to rest our numb hands. Final destination was a bar called Ernie's Tin Bar or something like that. Left to right: My Honda '75 CB400F, my homeboy's '72 Honda CL350, my bro's gf's 250 Ninja and my bro's immaculate, frame up fully restored '76 Yamaha RD400. We headed back toward my bro's house but on the way stopped at Domaine Carneros. View from the veranda. Very touristy but its very beautiful. Awesome ride! The only thing that sucked was I had to ride 80 West to get home. Not a highway bike by any means. Overall, great day.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Salad

Great looking bikes, sounds like a good day out..

As for me? Still waiting for ****** to get some feeling back after 3 hours on my '48
ffffuuuu.gif

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8

As for me? Still waiting for ****** to get some feeling back after 3 hours on my '48
ffffuuuu.gif

Well, 3 hours and all...

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ffffuuuu.gif

Damn, a '48? A '48 what? Harley? Indian? Triumph, Vincent or Velocette? Sounds too cool. I'm especially fond of single seats, springer front ends, hand shifters.....etc. I love old bikes. If only I had endless money and a warehouse.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picked this up today, Sportster 48

4831412832.jpg
fbhd42137259.jpg

fbhd22151273.jpg

fbhd32130333.jpg
4861384438.jpg

Damn, a '48? A '48 what? Harley? Indian? Triumph, Vincent or Velocette? Sounds too cool. I'm especially fond of single seats, springer front ends, hand shifters.....etc. I love old bikes. If only I had endless money and a warehouse.

Sorry, see above, should have said "Forty Eight" and not '48..
laugh.gif

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's that tank on the 48 treating you? Isn't it like 2 gallons? I get annoyed with my range, and I have over 4 I believe...

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
How's that tank on the 48 treating you? Isn't it like 2 gallons? I get annoyed with my range, and I have over 4 I believe...

Yeah, range is about 100 miles or so but after 100 miles on most bikes, I am ready to give ****** a rest and stretch my legs anyway, so I have not found it to be limiting at all. I know of some guys who have swapped out the peanut tank for the larger Nightster tank, but that extra gallon or so of fuel really messes with the lines, so I doubt I'll do it. If I want a bike with a greater range, my Bonnie fits the bill..

bubbleboys

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I gotta call you out on this. A hand shifter is the most marsupialed thing ever. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact. A hand shifter is a one-way ticket to a grave. There's a reason it's called a suicide shifter. I can appreciate a vintage motorcycle as much as the next guy but ending up in the ER because you're unable to properly swerve the motorcycle because your left hand is off the handlebar trying to shift doesn't make you "cool". It makes you dead, in a coma, large financial debts/wrecked, take your pick. Note: There's a reason you won't find a hand shifter on any fairly modern motorcycle, even a cruiser. Not to mention, hand shifter just screams poser/douche IMO (this is an opinion) (exception if you're Jay Leno).

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of range, so the new saddlebags are on, love them - they make the bike soo much more practical. Should be getting a tourpack and a windscreen later this week and I'll be ready for some light touring.

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first time posting in this thread and I was hoping to get your guys' feedback on the matter of beginning to ride. I've been wanting to start riding for the past year and I'll finally get to opportunity to purchase my own bike with me moving out of my parents' house. Bike would be for just commuting around the city and perhaps longer rides out to LA and SD (1 hour and 2 hrs respectively).

I've been eyeing Triumph's Bonneville and was wondering if there were any other good starting bikes to consider and any drawbacks associated with them.
Thanks!

rohde88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by itsjustadrian
I've been eyeing Triumph's Bonneville and was wondering if there were any other good starting bikes to consider and any drawbacks associated with them.
Thanks!

Just the poser factor and the fact you can't throw a rock without hitting a Triumph down in SoCal....

.bishop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rohde88
Just the poser factor and the fact you can't throw a rock without hitting a Triumph down in SoCal....

get what you like and what you'll enjoy. sit on the bike and see if you can find somewhere to ride one. who cares what other people think?

it's your bike in the long run, and you'll be putting on the miles.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm semi-seriously considering a bike and those 70s Hondas do it for me... nice pics.

Good save!

Went on a 90 miler with my brother and some friends.
Rode to my brothers and from there rode across and around Napa valley. For you Bay Area heads, we took highway 37 toward Napa, then 121 to 116. First stop was Carneros deli for a samich and to rest our numb hands. Final destination was a bar called Ernie's Tin Bar or something like that.

Left to right: My Honda '75 CB400F, my homeboy's '72 Honda CL350, my bro's gf's 250 Ninja and my bro's immaculate, frame up fully restored '76 Yamaha RD400.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itsjustadrian
Hey guys, this is my first time posting in this thread and I was hoping to get your guys' feedback on the matter of beginning to ride. I've been wanting to start riding for the past year and I'll finally get to opportunity to purchase my own bike with me moving out of my parents' house. Bike would be for just commuting around the city and perhaps longer rides out to LA and SD (1 hour and 2 hrs respectively). I've been eyeing Triumph's Bonneville and was wondering if there were any other good starting bikes to consider and any drawbacks associated with them. Thanks!
If you have never ridden a bike before, sign up and take the MSF beginner course. Search this thread for 'msf' for more beginner tips, but I firmly believe everyone should start there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads