• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea how the Wabashas would hold up in the snow and rain?

The boots, not the chukkas.

Brinbro

Reaction score
Found a great local place with a ton of Red Wings for dirt cheap prices. I'm willing to proxy if you guys are interested, here's what I know is there:

The Round Toe in black and sand mojave, both size 9D: http://workingperson.com/products/22...4&ci_sku=10396

And also the Work Chukka in maybe a 9D as well: http://www.zappos.com/product/7524883/color/257560

Pm me if you're interested, prices should be around $100+ shipping and I'll be able to scope out their other pairs and sizes if I go back (it's about 30 mins away).

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay. This is a somewhat asinine question, but I'm looking for a second opinion. I'm thinking about getting a pair of 875s. However, I know that they are a very thick/chunky boot. I'm only 5'2" and would be getting a size 6 or so. I'm worried that they will look disproportionate to my frame though. Anyone think this would be a problem?

calloyaddy

Reaction score
Got the Wabasha boots: just sno seal them. Tha canvas is treated. Should be okay. I'm switching between these and the Katahdin's.

J_Stallz

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of Red Wing 1907s and they are very uncomfortable to the point that I just cannot wear them without the back of my heels blistering severely. Inside the boot behind the heal is a leather lining that is bare, unlike the lining in the tow box, which is a nice soft leather.

I cant help but feel that the boots i purchased were improperly made, maybe even factory seconds. Included is a photograph illustrating my point. (sorry for the camera positioning, i took the photo with my Mac's camera) Notice the bare lining on the bottom left inside the boot, and the soft leather lining on the right. Any 1907 owners have the same problem?

-JStallz

mossmadness88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J_Stallz
I just picked up a pair of Red Wing 1907s and they are very uncomfortable to the point that I just cannot wear them without the back of my heels blistering severely. Inside the boot behind the heal is a leather lining that is bare, unlike the lining in the tow box, which is a nice soft leather.

I cant help but feel that the boots i purchased were improperly made, maybe even factory seconds. Included is a photograph illustrating my point. (sorry for the camera positioning, i took the photo with my Mac's camera) Notice the bare lining on the bottom left inside the boot, and the soft leather lining on the right. Any 1907 owners have the same problem?

-JStallz

It isn't a defect, that is how they are suppose to look. Does your heel slip up in the back when you walk?

J_Stallz

Reaction score
Yes it does, that is the cause of the blistering.

Is that due to the boots being brand new and not yet broken in or is it because the boots are too large?

themselves

Reaction score

Is that due to the boots being brand new and not yet broken in or is it because the boots are too large?

probably a bit too large, which leads to heel slippage. if you can't return them, maybe try thick socks, or one of those silicone insole thingies

mossmadness88

Reaction score

Yeah, they are too large. The insole that comes in that particular pair of Red Wings is real cheap. I would try a thicker pair of socks, and/or switch out the insole. But don't go with a gel one. They are cheap and thin out real quick, so you might eat up some room in them for a couple of weeks, and then once the gel thins out, you will be back to having the same problem. Get a thick, high quality insole. Something made of a sturdy memory foam or urethane.
Also, did you buy them from an actual Red Wing??? All Red Wings come with a 30 day comfort guarantee. So you can take them back and switch them for a better fitting size.

augustskies

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt
Anyone have any idea how the Wabashas would hold up in the snow and rain?

The boots, not the chukkas.

images_onFigure_30_30487_30487_BR6682_d1_tif_77d60b38fdc11859.jpg

+1 to this question. If I applied some Sno-Seal to a pair of these boots, would it hold up well in the snow and rain?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads