• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me with what to wear. 6ft, 265, elite level powerlifter

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
facepalm.gif
-_- goddamnit people. y'all honestly cannot be this dumb. he's clearly a sock puppet/troll and his post was written in sarcasm because of all the damn threads that pop up about clothing for "muscular" guys. please i mean for chrissake look at his username

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bro, stop baggin on this thread.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somedumbmeathead
Basically what are things I should avoid based on being a big muscular non fat guy.
I'm only 200 pounds and don't compete in anything, but I'd say for one thing avoid things that make you look no different than just a typical fat guy - boxy suits, shirts that are 10 inches too big around the waist etc. Though shirts are easily altered to make them narrower around the lower part of the torso.

If you need suits, you will need a decent tailor.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
Yeah, common knowledge that all 265er powerlifters are fat.
facepalm.gif
Konstantin-Konstantinovs.jpg
I'm not saying the OP is built like Konstantinov, but i think the way you dismiss his claim that he is "non-fat" as an outright impossibility is ignorant.

He has very little drop, put clothes on him and he'll look like any medium-build skinny-fat person

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you dudes saying he will need a tailor and ****, come on. He ain't gonna be doing BoO XXL's and tapering them. He should be wearing workwear, honestly. Flannels, white tees, heritage jeans, boots that are to scale with his figure....

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this quote by the founder of APC, Jean Touitou, sums up my opinion on this well.

"Nowadays, people work out way too much, and they look like invaders from another planet. A guy who works out two hours a day—focusing on his chest because he thinks it’s sexy—you can’t dress him, even if you send him to the best designer or stylist in the world."

So yeah, just give up now, before you've wasted a bunch of money and still look like ****.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
He has very little drop, put clothes on him and he'll look like any medium-build skinny-fat person

ummm his drop is probably around 13" or more. Look at his lats. Sure he's got a large rib cage and core, but there'd still be a huge drop if you put a measuring tape around his chest and then waist.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
I think this quote by the founder of APC, Jean Touitou, sums up my opinion on this well.

"Nowadays, people work out way too much, and they look like invaders from another planet. A guy who works out two hours a day"”focusing on his chest because he thinks it's sexy"”you can't dress him, even if you send him to the best designer or stylist in the world."

So yeah, just give up now, before you've wasted a bunch of money and still look like ****.

...that's wrong.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get your eyes checked, please.

Also, this guy's overarm measurement is another issue. Even if he didn't have much of a drop from chest to waist (and he does, probably 12 inches or more), his overarm measurement is going to require sizing any RTW to his shoulders, not his chest. His effective jacket chest measurement is probably his overarm measurement minus about 7 inches, not his actual chest measurement.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
ummm his drop is probably around 13" or more. Look at his lats. Sure he's got a large rib cage and core, but there'd still be a huge drop if you put a measuring tape around his chest and then waist.
And proportionally that amounts to looking like he has very little drop. If I multiplied my measurements by 2, I'd have a 16in drop but it'd still look the same as an 8in drop because everything else would be proportionate.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And proportionally that amounts to looking like he has very little drop. If I multiplied my measurements by 2, I'd have a 16in drop but it'd still look the same as an 8in drop because everything else would be proportionate.

yup, except i don't think he's twice the size of an average person with a 6 inch drop. Not in height, and not in the waist measurements at least. Probably a 50 inch chest and maybe 35 inch waist.

He doesn't look like he has no drop here, and if you put him in a shirt with back darts you'd also think he's got a big drop.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe I should start power lifting...I too have a pretty big rib cage--I will just grow my muscles to fit it!

StarterStyle

Reaction score
SDMH, myself and my powerlifting buddies have pretty much given up on finding woven shirts that fit. Not even the finest tailoring can give me a flattering shirt that doesn't turn into a prison when I try to reach out in front of me

Glueeater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion

"Nowadays, people work out way too much, and they look like invaders from another planet. A guy who works out two hours a day"”focusing on his chest because he thinks it's sexy"”you can't dress him, even if you send him to the best designer or stylist in the world."

this was disappointingly ignorant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads