• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Half marathon in 6 weeks?

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a half marathon that I'd like to run. It takes place in 6 weeks.

Currently, I run 2-4 times per week, getting a 5.5 miler in every weekend and approximately 3.5 miles in my regular run. I struggle to find the time to run as often as I'd like, so I have been trying to go in the mornings. This would be a good way to get in that groove and I think a half marathon is achievable.

Are there any 6-week preparation schedules?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oh, dear. Have you already signed up?

short answer: yes, it is. But the aftermath can be pretty bad, depending on your durability among other things. I do not know of any training schedules, though, but if you add 1.5 miles to your weekend run each weekend that ought to get you there.

Also, it depends on what sort of time you want to finish in. If you're not averse to walking parts of the race...that's an option.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not signed up. I'm not committed to doing this, but am wondering if it is possible. This website proposes a 6-week schedule: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/army/half marathon.htm And judging by the distances and times per week, it seems like something I can handle. I would not be running for any competitive time, just completion. I would expect to pause and walk at times.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
I have not signed up. I'm not committed to doing this, but am wondering if it is possible.

This website proposes a 6-week schedule:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/army/half marathon.htm

And judging by the distances and times per week, it seems like something I can handle.

I would not be running for any competitive time, just completion. I would expect to pause and walk at times.

Conventional wisdom says you tackle a few 10-k races first, and slowly build your mileage. Some people can get away with bucking it, but they're unusually durable or light or have a long running background.

That said...pausing and walking will probably get you to the finish, but you probably won't care for the experience.

runner-guy

Reaction score
I think I'm going to try my first half marathon in October. I normally run 5K and 10K races and I ran a 10 mile race last summer, so I already have some preparation. I usually run 6-7 miles 4 days a week, and I plan on increasing my mileage for at least one long run per week. I'm also doing a 10K in September so that will help me prepare for it also.

I would suggest increasing each of your runs 2-3 miles each and I think you will be okay. You don't have to make your longest run 13 miles, but if you can get to maybe 9 or 10 miles I think you'll be alright. Just be sure to give yourself enough rest. You don't want to get injured.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW, I'm scheduled for a January half but am considering a half that's coming up in 6 or so weeks. I've been averaging 25+ miles/week for the past three weeks and will be running 8 this weekend.

.bishop

Reaction score
start practicing run/walk

run 4 walk 1 run 4 walk 1 and run the rest.

dont think you HAVE to run the entire thing. you can do it.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd say do it... its the staten island half this oct 10 right? they'll be like 20,000+ runners since it will be treated like a training run for the eventual NYC marathon in nov.

but just run to finish it. I'll be running the staten island half too but to finish to qualify for the 2011 NYC marathon. (it will be on of my last races for the 9+1 qualification program).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
You could probably complete a half marathon tomorrow, if you really wanted. But what do you hope to gain from this?

+1

If you can run 5.5+ on a weekend...I don't see why you wouldn't be able to run a half marathon.

It might not be pleasant and you might not be fast...but 6 weeks from now sounds completely doable.

airblaster503

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
FWIW, I'm scheduled for a January half but am considering a half that's coming up in 6 or so weeks. I've been averaging 25+ miles/week for the past three weeks and will be running 8 this weekend.

This is more realistic, I am running a half on Oct. 24th, so roughly 8 weeks away and have been around 25-30 miles per week with no long runs over 9 miles. I am looking to bump my mileage up to around 40-45 in the next couple weeks and try to hold it there for about a month. For the OP he has been running only 15 miles per week, while it is possible I think he would dread it by the last few miles. He needs to get out there and increase the distance of at least his long run on the weekend to about 10 miles just to get used to being on his feet longer than what he is now.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ran 8.6 yesterday and I'm going to go out and do another 5.5 this morning.

At the end of yesterday's run, I'd say I probably could have gone another mile or two but asking me to go another five would have been difficult.

I still haven't registered, but it's in the back of my mind. I'm not on any kind of training schedule, just trying to run as much and as often as I can.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
I ran 8.6 yesterday and I'm going to go out and do another 5.5 this morning.

At the end of yesterday's run, I'd say I probably could have gone another mile or two but asking me to go another five would have been difficult.

I still haven't registered, but it's in the back of my mind. I'm not on any kind of training schedule, just trying to run as much and as often as I can.

You can do it no problem. Before I ran my first half, the longest run I did was 6 miles. And I ran that half in 1:31.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
That said...pausing and walking will probably get you to the finish, but you probably won't care for the experience.

This is my strategy, too. I haven't been running in the last 2-3 weeks and apparently I'm signed up for a race on 10/24.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can be done....you need a few long runs that are close to 13.1, like 12.5 or better.
I was up over 22 miles on my longs, had to take off 8 weeks before a half, and did only 2 runs in 8 weeks and still ran the half in under 2 hrs.
The long run is king for your endurance.
Anyhow, 13.1 is pretty much doable no matter what. anything over 18 requires some real training.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads