• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wine & Spirits for a Wedding Reception

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bowmore 25 is divine. A bottle of that will go quickly.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
I hope its no where near 50k! I agree with your feelings about the sushi. I have been told by countless people that the Asians there will be looking forward to seafood. We agreed on no cooked fish/seafood as due to odor. There will be a smoked salmon display. Maybe I can cut out the sushi and just add more shellfish. I will make sure the Brie and Cheese display are together. Thanks for catching that. I will add a salad bar too.

I am not much of a seafood eater (though I eat sushi if it's good quality) and you're right, Asians will be looking forward to the seafood. I know you said no cooked seafood, but king crab legs or something in your dinner choices would be easy to get ahold of and likable, langoustine or something like that, maybe. I've forgotten what it's like to live in the Midwest and not have tons of seafood, because now I live in Asia and am constantly surrounded by it and don't even like seafood that much...

I think people will also want some modicum of vegetables, so beyond a salad with a couple dressings, one green for 6 or 7 meat stations could be bumped to maybe two, like a summer squash dish, haricots verts, and then a light rice dish like a more simple pilaf would please them, I think the Asian guests would probably go for a little rice sooner than the potatoes. They may also appreciate a soup if it were possible, even it were something simple like tomato-basil or something like that. It'd make for more rounded meal.

Along the same lines, Asian people eat fruit as dessert, so a nice fruit display with your dessert offerings would be nice for them and everybody, say, melons, some tree fruits, grapes, oranges, etc.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This information is useful for the belated reception that my wife and I will host for our wedding back in June!

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
For scotch I would get a couple that will add up to ~$500. They are also relatively local to you.

Bowmore 25 - http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/stor...Y-312p7916.htm

For vintage port you should look for something from 1955. It is the oldest stellar vintage in your price range.

I have never tried the Bowmore, so I will add it to the list. Thank you.

Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I am not much of a seafood eater (though I eat sushi if it's good quality) and you're right, Asians will be looking forward to the seafood. I know you said no cooked seafood, but king crab legs or something in your dinner choices would be easy to get ahold of and likable, langoustine or something like that, maybe. I've forgotten what it's like to live in the Midwest and not have tons of seafood, because now I live in Asia and am constantly surrounded by it and don't even like seafood that much...

I think people will also want some modicum of vegetables, so beyond a salad with a couple dressings, one green for 6 or 7 meat stations could be bumped to maybe two, like a summer squash dish, haricots verts, and then a light rice dish like a more simple pilaf would please them, I think the Asian guests would probably go for a little rice sooner than the potatoes. They may also appreciate a soup if it were possible, even it were something simple like tomato-basil or something like that. It'd make for more rounded meal.

Along the same lines, Asian people eat fruit as dessert, so a nice fruit display with your dessert offerings would be nice for them and everybody, say, melons, some tree fruits, grapes, oranges, etc.

Thanks for the heads-up. I will make sure there is rice there. In regards to Cooked crab and the "exotic" vegetables you mention, Hilton does not offer it, but I can ask.

Here is something I can add:
CruditÃ
00a9.png
s
A selection of Garden Vegetables, served with Creamy Gorgonzola and Chive Dip
$3.95 Per Person

Originally Posted by gomestar

I agree. All of the vintage Champs is great but IMO can be an unnecessary money drain. Serve it for the first few glasses, then have the inexpensive MV or even cheaper Cava poured for the rest of the night.

Good idea!

Perhaps consider some Pinot Noir? Not only is it the "hot" grape, but it is very versatile with food and with a wide range of personal tastes. Spend $100/bottle on something from Burgundy, no need to creep to the $250 level.

I will look for some PN to add. What do you recommend from the Burgundy region?

I'm going to impose my highly opinionated beliefs here and suggest a bottle from Didier Dagueneau for yourself or the special guests (you wont be able to find enough for the whole party). You will be able to tell the difference between swill and a Didier. His '05 Pur Sang or '04 Silex were particularly memorable and rank among the very best wines I've ever tasted.

I remember the write up that you and Manton did! I will get in touch with the Hilton and see how much they will charge per bottle. They won't even let me supply my own alcohol.

For the others, you don't need to do up to $200 a bottle. A $40-50 bottle of premier cru Chablis or Puligny-Montrachet or Meursalt (all of these are white burgs) will be great wines that are versatile with food and widely enjoyed by all palates.

I will add it to the list. Looks like I have to do a lot of shopping to try all of this stuff out
worship.gif

I'd personally avoid California Chardonnay. Odds are it will be overoaked and have too much secondary malolactic fermentation going on and will thus overpower any decent seafood you serve (but perhaps you may want this?
blush.gif
)

laugh.gif
Advice for ld1111111111111111111111111111111111134

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One last thing. What do I do about demi-sec Champagne? Rose is not sweet enough for my mother in law. In fact she asked me yesterday how much Asti I was going to have there
facepalm.gif

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One last thing. What do I do about demi-sec Champagne? Rose is not sweet enough for my mother in law. In fact she asked me yesterday how much Asti I was going to have there
facepalm.gif

Veuve Clicquot I think you'll like the Bowmore a lot, old Bowmores are incredible.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You could get Taittinger's demi-sec.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One other thing, is this event in PA or NJ? I ask because PA has some hellish liquor laws and you might have a hard time getting all this stuff into the state.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
One other thing, is this event in PA or NJ? I ask because PA has some hellish liquor laws and you might have a hard time getting all this stuff into the state.

In Ohio
frown.gif

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Columbus, Ohio
frown.gif

Oh haha, I thought it was the Easton area of PA-NJ!

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I

They won't even let me supply my own alcohol.

Um, have you gone over the alcohol with them yet?

I've run into issues where hotels/venues/catereers will only work with a few suppliers, limiting what they can and can't get.
I'd assume they'd probably add a cork fee at the least, if not a substantial price increase.
Granted, this is all based on my limited experience event planning and selling wine, in another part of the country, years ago, but you might want to go over it with the hotel just to be safe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads