• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belt too tight, belt too loose

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New stress point creation>rip>r.i.p.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

confused.gif

- B

Merkurial as always.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
I fail to see how it would ruin the belt. While it might look odd viewed up close, when wearing it nobody would--or even could--notice the extra hole. Or am I missing something?
It's like if you wore womens underwear. Nobody's gonna see it, but that doesn't make it any less wrong.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
It's like if you wore womens underwear. Nobody's gonna see it, but that doesn't make it any less wrong.

Cary Grant did it.
laugh.gif

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
It seems like an odd situation, but I am suffering a similar issue right now.

I have a casual leather belt from Orvis that I wear with jeans and chinos. It is about 5 years old and I love it. It was not super expensive, but it would be hard to replace. Over the past year, as I have acquired more pants in my actual waist size, I have noticed that I am in between notches. My belt begins to ride lower than the button if i wear it on the usual notch, and if i go to the next, it looks awful b/c the front of the belt has this major wear pattern from using the original notch for 4+ years.

It doesn't look right, and I am going to have to get a new belt. Sad stuff.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
If you have a belt with a removable buckle, remove the buckle and cut some of the excess leather off of the end of the belt (the part that the buckle fastens to). That should shorten your belt enough to at least minimize the issue.

Loupe

Reaction score
A bit pricey would be a Roland Iten mechanical buckle:

A bit pricey?!? At $15,000, I should say that puts it squarely out of my reach...

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This post deserves a Nobel Prize.
cheers.gif

Well, it depends on your budget. While a D-ring on a suit is very Luca, what if he wants something dressier?

A bit pricey would be a Roland Iten mechanical buckle:

[click pic for more]

For considerably less, you could get a Kielty T-2:

[click pic for more]

At the bottom of the heap, you can get the plain Jane slide buckle. A version is 1.25" for the collegiate-averse can be had here:

[click pic for more]

In all cases, look Ma! no holes!

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loupe
A bit pricey?!? At $15,000, I should say that puts it squarely out of my reach...

Will at A Suitable Wardobe will be offering the Iten buckles on his site shortly.

The price will be the same, starting at $15K, but shipping will be free.

In the US.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
This post deserves a Nobel Prize.
cheers.gif

I want one of the Nobels that are harder to get than the Peace Prize one, though.

- B

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want one of the Nobels that are harder to get than the Peace Prize one, though. - B
how about the Lenin peace prize? Much harder to get than the Nobel one. I'm surprised no one mentions buying hole punching tools, the very thing belt makers use to put those perfectly round holes in your belts to begin with. These punch tools also allow insertion of spiffy and double cap rivets, which often time hold the buckles together without the need for stitching. They go for under $10 dollars for a set and are great investment, just like a case of watchmaker's Bergeon screwdrivers for odd eyeglass repairs. I cry whenever I see a guy takes a flat tire to a bike shop. These are the little things that should come as natural as getting a boner.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
These are the little things that should come as natural as getting a boner.

You have just answered you own question

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads