• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belt too tight, belt too loose

rastapunk8

Reaction score
Ugh.

I got three new pairs of pants from Thick as Thieves a few months ago. They fit perfectly. In fact, they fit too perfectly.

They fit so perfectly that my belts (including a new one I just bought to try and rectify this issue) are too loose on the notch I usually use, or too tight when I try to go to the next notch. Under the normal notch, my belt is so loose it literally hangs a half inch from the top of the pants. Under the next tightest notch, my belts are so tight that the pants slide down underneath them.

What the heck can a guy do here?

Currently I just don't wear a belt with these pants. The no belt look works better when wearing suits, but I don't have matching jackets (just pants), so I'm wearing pants and a dress shirt without a belt. Seems odd to me.

Apparently my waist size is right in the middle of the two notches on my belts. Short of digging a new hole on these belts in between these two notches (which I will not do), what the heck can I do here? No belt is going to fit just right.

I'm a sad panda.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a d-ring style belt that doesn't require holes.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have it shortened from the buckle by an amount approximately equal to half the distance between the two holes, then it should line up nicely with one of them.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
If you have it shortened from the buckle by an amount approximately equal to half the distance between the two holes, then it should line up nicely with one of them.

Isn't it easier to just punch an extra hole between the other two?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
1245368477485__NelsonWoodSh_WoodShims_SF_0.png

confused.gif

- B

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
Isn't it easier to just punch an extra hole between the other two?

Easier, yes. But it will also be a bit odd having an extra hole inbetween the usual ones. Shortening from the buckle would be more 'correct'.

GBer

Reaction score
Depending on the quality of the belt, use a Swiss Army knife. If it's really nice or you have a strange belt hooking mechanism, take it to a pro.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

Answer. Poking a hole between holes will ruin the belt.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black & Decker Workmate, Stihlsaw, Angle Grinder, Chainsaw, Hobbyist Air Compressor , Airless Spray Unit and Graco Golden Gun, Full Set Artisan Woodworking Chisels , Leaf Blower and Two Pack Epoxy Glue and your good to go mate !! Cant you do bugga all for yourself FFS
plain.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Buy a d-ring style belt that doesn't require holes.

Well, it depends on your budget. While a D-ring on a suit is very Luca, what if he wants something dressier?

A bit pricey would be a Roland Iten mechanical buckle:

[click pic for more]

For considerably less, you could get a Kielty T-2:

[click pic for more]

At the bottom of the heap, you can get the plain Jane slide buckle. A version is 1.25" for the collegiate-averse can be had here:

[click pic for more]

In all cases, look Ma! no holes!

- B

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Answer. Poking a hole between holes will ruin the belt.

I fail to see how it would ruin the belt. While it might look odd viewed up close, when wearing it nobody would--or even could--notice the extra hole. Or am I missing something?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads