• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mickey711
On a related topic, whose reviews do you guys read/watch/listen to? I think I'm only following Yahtzee atm. I miss Seanbaby
frown.gif

Honestly? None. My two reasons: Game "journalists" or "reviewers" aren't great writers, and lots of websites also engage in payola. Lots. You're better off talking to like-minded gamers. Or ask Brian SD, dusty, or some of the other posters on here--SF gamers have good taste that run the gamut (we skew slightly towards RPG).
Originally Posted by fffffut
i love soc, too bad i dont have a ps2 anymore
frown.gif
im hoping theyll make a trilogy pack with ico, shadow of the colossus, and the last guardian, which also looks great

Some months down the road, once I'm bored with Halo Reach, I'm going to regret selling my 360. I'll be matchmaking for the millionth time while PS3 gets The Last Guardian, Journey, and something like Uncharted 3.

mickey711

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rathbone
Looks like Dragon Age: Origins to me.

Yep, that's correct
smile.gif

Originally Posted by breakz
Honestly? None. My two reasons:

Game "journalists" or "reviewers" aren't great writers, and lots of websites also engage in payola. Lots.

You're better off talking to like-minded gamers. Or ask Brian SD, dusty, or some of the other posters on here--SF gamers have good taste that run the gamut (we skew slightly towards RPG).

Some months down the road, once I'm bored with Halo Reach, I'm going to regret selling my 360. I'll be matchmaking for the millionth time while PS3 gets The Last Guardian, Journey, and something like Uncharted 3.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't being very clear in my previous post. I'm not really talking about reviewers whose opinions you consider to be a major factor towards deciding to play a game, rather, "reviewers" in the vein of Yahtzee and AVGN whose primary aim is to entertain, hence my bringing up of Yahtzee and Seanbaby.

Yahtzee, for instance, acknowledges that he's not the fairest reviewer around, that his reviews are very subjective, and has preferences as to what genres he likes (not RTSes or fighting games), which is why he refuses to review Starcraft 2.

But yes, game reviewers are usually biased. With the exception of EDGE (which is, for the most part, reputable and fair) I don't bother reading game publications or their websites.

I honestly can't think of a current-gen JRPG I really, really enjoyed. FFTA2 was nice but was a bit shallow storywise compared to the first game, and Valkyria Chronicles didn't really do it for me. When are they going to make Dark Cloud 3?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I built a new computer back in April, and granted, I'm not much of a gamer anymore, but, I got a Geforce 9500 GT 1 gig card. I looked up a few reviews of the card the other day, and seems like I made mistake.

Specifically one review said "giving a 9500 GT 1 gig of ram is like giving a fish a bicycle".

So, does anyone know how bad I screwed up getting this fish with a bicycle? It seems to run TES Oblivion and Fallout 3 just fine though...

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a great analogy but you shouldn't feel too bad by it, it's just stating that the 1 gig of ram (the bicycle) far exceeds the capability of 9500 (the fish). Put simply you've got too much vram and potentially could have bought a better card with less vram, the world isn't ending.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just found out that you can use an old copy of The Orange Box for your pc on your mac. The serial entitles you to a free mac version of all the games. If anyone has an old copy that they no longer use I'd be willing to take it off your hands.

Any Steam suggestions other than The Orange Box worth trying? They're always having sales and whatnot over there.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mickey711
Sorry, maybe I wasn't being very clear in my previous post.

Whoops--misunderstood you. Sorry.
blush.gif

fffffut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I just found out that you can use an old copy of The Orange Box for your pc on your mac. The serial entitles you to a free mac version of all the games. If anyone has an old copy that they no longer use I'd be willing to take it off your hands.

Any Steam suggestions other than The Orange Box worth trying? They're always having sales and whatnot over there.

orange box is the best value
but if you want other games:
l4d/l4d2 for that intense zombie ****
css if you like straightforward multiplayer fps
garrys mod can be fun if you like building/doing anything

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Witcher 2

witcher-2-2.jpg

Looking forward to it.

Did anyone play the first? I got to the forest and everything killed me so I quit. I have too much free time on my hands now and want to go back and try again. It really was a good game. I simply didn't have the time for it.

The story and history of the world is very well done, and the morally ambiguous choices you have to make really do give you pause. Plus Geralt is one of the coolest heroes I've ever seen in a videogame. He kills the bad guys, he gets the women, he drinks hard, he collects the boob cards.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to grab a copy of the original and I'll play the sequel if I like it. Add it to the list. In fact here is the list of games I'm getting. Going to start by catching up on some PS2 I missed. Going to start by playing through the entire Xenosaga series in order. Then I'll play Star Ocean 3 before moving to the 360 for Star Ocean 4. PS2 Xenosaga episode 1 - Der Wille zur Macht Xenosaga episode 2 - Jenseits von Gut und Böse Xenosaga episode 3 - Also Sprach Zarathustra Star Ocean - Till the End of Time Xbox 360 Star Ocean - The Last Hope Tales of Vesperia Borderlands Eternal Sonata Alan Wake PC Dragon Age: Origins The Witcher That ought to keep me busy for a while.

Nananine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Witcher 2

witcher-2-2.jpg

Looking forward to it.

Did anyone play the first? I got to the forest and everything killed me so I quit. I have too much free time on my hands now and want to go back and try again. It really was a good game. I simply didn't have the time for it.

The story and history of the world is very well done, and the morally ambiguous choices you have to make really do give you pause. Plus Geralt is one of the coolest heroes I've ever seen in a videogame. He kills the bad guys, he gets the women, he drinks hard, he collects the boob cards.

The Witcher was awesome and one of the best Western RPG's to come out in a while. Trumps Bioware's stuff.

mickey711

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Holy crap, Epic Mickey looks awesome.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Witcher was ******* awesome. Didn't even know they were making a second but I'll be all over that. I don't think it "trumps" BioWare games, as the Witcher had a very different play style (BioWare uses companions while the Witcher was solo). That it was different added relative value because it was not a BioWare game, and still managed to be quality. It's grit and unpolished demeanor made it really stand out.

Rathbone

Reaction score
I am pretty excited for The Witcher 2. If you can find some of the released gameplay vids, take a look. It's a beauty in motion. Don't know if anyone's seen this, and despite how overplayed zombies might be these days i've been looking forward to this for a while and think it looks dynamite. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...tate-revealed/

fffffut

Reaction score
i would be more excited if it was in the vein of oblivion and fallout 3
turn based combat in a zombie game?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics