• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New frying pan.

Brosef

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XeF4
Have fun with your cancer. In case you didn't know, non stick coating is toxic and will vaporize around 350F and guess where that toxic vapor goes? I use a lodge cast iron skillet for pan frying.

You mostly will end up with some type of cancer. If I remember well the spectacular introduction of my genetics professor, 1 man out of 2.2 will have cancer and 1 woman out of 2.5. Enjoy yours brah.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nonstick is nice for things like fish and scallops. Copper is horrible for frying pans. Stop making lists, moron.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Nonstick is nice for things like fish and scallops. Copper is horrible for frying pans. Stop making lists, moron.

You like using it for searing?
Personally, I never use my nonstick on higher than medium heat.
I don't know why. I'm not actually worried about the coating coming off and me consuming it or anything. So maybe I'm dead wrong in my apprehension.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You like using it for searing?
I don't know why. I'm not actually worried about the coating coming off and me consuming it or anything. So maybe I'm dead wrong in my apprehension.

I wouldn't sear a steak in it, but for something that is just going to be in a minute or so a side, it is perfect. I use mine on high heat without worry. I generally don't get it smoking before I put food in, but sometimes.

computerpro3

Reaction score
While I do prefer my tri-ply stainless steel for searing, you can sear surprisingly well in Calphalon Unison with the sear finish (it comes in two finishes - slide and sear). The sear finish is textured and believe it or not you can actually develop a pretty good fond on it. I saw it in Williams Sonoma and I didn't believe it, but since I was curious and it wasn't that expensive I picked up and I'll be damned - it sears pretty nice. The reason I prefer my SS pans for searing though is that when you do pan sauces, scraping up the fond from the bottom of the pan can be a challenge if you can't use stainless utensils. But I will stand by my previous assertion that the Calphalon Unison slide finished skillets are not only the best egg pans on earth, but the best nonstick cookware that exists. My 8in nonstick pan weighs a whopping 2lbs, and the 10in weighs a shade over 3. Good luck finding another made in USA nonstick pan that has that kind of heft to it! It heats up evenly and retains heat incredibly well. Not to mention the nonstick coating is ridiculously good (no fats or butter and I don't even have to use a spatula when I make and omelet). http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Unis...2709568&sr=8-6 And oh yeah, you can finish in the oven up to 500 degrees and it's dishwasher safe (though I never use it in there as it cleans up with just a dry paper towel).

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
+ a gazillion.

Let me detract here, I think his lists are very funny. MOAR!!!!

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quatsch
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/e...a-skillet.html

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Interesting...

I think if you cook a lot you learn the characteristics of your hob and pans pretty quickly. Personally I prefer a fast pan without too much retention for most cooking, I'm quite adept now at turning the hob down at the crucial point to avoid burning anything.
The exception being searing steaks etc. on a cast iron griddle pan or slow cooked stuff.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

I use mine on high heat for omelets when I am pretending I am julia child:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

If its good enough for her...

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quatsch
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/e...a-skillet.html

Just wanted to throw that out there.

My fiancee and I were looking into buying some pans recently. Neither of us really cooks but she wants to get into it and I was planning on investing in some All Clad despite the fact that we were just starting out. Anyway, she did a bunch of reading on the web and ended up buying a set of these Tramontina pans from Walmart. I know a lot of advice is to never buy a set cause you don't always use everything so it's better to just buy the individual pans but she's the one who would be be using them the most.

Anyway, my point is that she really likes the pans (but again, not much experience).

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I use mine on high heat for omelets when I am pretending I am julia child:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

If its good enough for her...

I use mine on high heat too when making an omelet, but hers looks more like a flat, messed up version.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If we're going to go old school lets get to the masters...
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

Edit;?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Infrasonic
If we're going to go old school lets get to the masters...
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

So old school that people didn't even bother to check if their embedded youtube link worked because youtube didn't exist yet! And yes, I could FTFY but I think people should lean by doing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads