• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Android phone recommendations/discussion?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my phone but there are currently no dual-band HSPA (e.g. global) Android phones. We'll see what comes out before Christmas and if I'm not sufficiently impressed, I guess I'll have to go with an iPhone 4.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any reason not to get an incredible? $100 less than the newest phones, Evo seems to have battery life issues, Iphone has all kind of issues (and sick of AT&T), Galaxy S has no flash on camera... the more I think about it, the bettwe the Inc seems. Wrong?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
Any reason not to get an incredible? $100 less than the newest phones, Evo seems to have battery life issues, Iphone has all kind of issues (and sick of AT&T), Galaxy S has no flash on camera... the more I think about it, the bettwe the Inc seems. Wrong?

The incredible battery life out the gate is horrendous. After 5-6 cycles it becomes usable. My friend rooted to 2.2 Froyo (should be coming to all incredibles in the next few weeks) and said his battery life has improved by a considerable amount.

I really like the camera (and dual LED flash), the screen and phone itself are a perfect size for me, the phone is snappy, android and HTC sense looks good and works well, though I did forgo the stock HTC messager for Handcent, and the price was right (got it for $99 from VZW online).

I am very happy with the incredible so far.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When can I get a reasonably cheap android phone that works fully on AT&T (talking buying it flat out and swapping the sim card)

It doesn't have to be super special...but shouldn't be locked to an outdated android version (intend to root it).

BossTweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
The incredible battery life out the gate is horrendous.

+1. I've had it for a week, I hope it gets better.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BossTweed
+1. I've had it for a week, I hope it gets better.

Geez, I'm totally stymied on which phone to get. Guess I'll just keep waiting, since all the current phones seem to have major drawbacks.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
Geez, I'm totally stymied on which phone to get. Guess I'll just keep waiting, since all the current phones seem to have major drawbacks.
I would. The new Droid 2 is rife with problems as well. None of the Samsung phones are really that good. Its sad.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I refuse to buy another Samsung phone after a terrible experience with one three years ago (Instinct). HTC will launch the Desire HD on 15/09 but it will probably be Europe-only with the same specs as the Evo 4G. There's the Dell Thunder with no known release date and unknown specs. The G2 for T-Mobile will be out before Christmas but I doubt it will be anything extraordinary.

My problem with all the non-Apple carriers is that they never try to surpass the iPhone, they just play catch up. You could argue that the Evo 4g and the Galaxy S are the exceptions in terms of screen real estate and LTE networks, but their 4 hour battery lives take them completely out of contention.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I refuse to buy another Samsung phone after a terrible experience with one three years ago (Instinct). HTC will launch the Desire HD on 15/09 but it will probably be Europe-only with the same specs as the Evo 4G. There's the Dell Thunder with no known release date and unknown specs. The G2 for T-Mobile will be out before Christmas but I doubt it will be anything extraordinary.

My problem with all the non-Apple carriers is that they never try to surpass the iPhone, they just play catch up. You could argue that the Evo 4g and the Galaxy S are the exceptions in terms of screen real estate and LTE networks, but their 4 hour battery lives take them completely out of contention.

Yeah, this is a problem with these phones. Trade-off for screen size which is why I think Apple is sticking with the stupid 3.5" (or is it 3.6"?) of the iPhone. Of course, it all depends how you use your phone. I'm so busy these days that I don't have a lot of time to play with my phone and I don't game or stream video (do stream music sometimes) but I can easily get decent battery life out of my EVO. Last overnight call (30+ hours) I left the hospital with about 35% battery life left. Did have to tweak the phone a bit and I'm not running the stock Sprint/HTC Android OS or kernel.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
my evo has exceptional battery life running Baked Snack ROM and custom kernel, been up for 40+ hours and moderate usage and is at 30%, i have it underclocked and undervolted when not in use and have all the background crap which drains battery uninstalled/not running

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Althis
my evo has exceptional battery life running Baked Snack ROM and custom kernel, been up for 40+ hours and moderate usage and is at 30%, i have it underclocked and undervolted when not in use and have all the background crap which drains battery uninstalled/not running

I'm on the old Baked Snack 1.2.5 themed. Everything's okay with that although been considering flashing the newer version or the latest CM6 nightlies with Snap 7.4

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm using his latest 1.5 with kernel 5 for best battery use, it's nice and i got the wireless tether to work so no complaints

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stock battery life:

Android-Battery-life-chart-550x256.gif

http://blog.laptopmag.com/android-ba...handsets-trail

AMOLED is killer. Also worth noting: results are with the phones at 40% brightness, no GPS, no wifi, no cell location and no auto sync.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads