• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

arc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Get it from wherever you found the photo.
The tie in the photo is a satin (from RLBL). He's asking for a twill version of the same tie. I can't help with finding a twill, but you could always go for this vaguely similar (but sexier) Hober Grenadine stripe tie.
Grenadine-Stripe-GST-5b.jpg

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the average width for shoes? D or E?

Does UK have a different sizing for Width as well? Is their "E" equal to U.S. "D"?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
What is the average width for shoes? D or E?

Does UK have a different sizing for Width as well? Is their "E" equal to U.S. "D"?

Medium in US = D
Medium in UK = E

Hence US D = UK E

farnsworth

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying rain/snowboots for my commute to work (business casual environment). How should I wear them? Should I tuck in my suit pants?

Also, bean boots or red wings?

KayJay85

Reaction score
What causes a suit to crease just behind the armpit?

Is it an easy fix for a tailor?

bluebonnet

Reaction score
Does anyone own a Thom Browne pant? I found them awlful short. Do you let it out a little bit to make the length normal?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluebonnet
Does anyone own a Thom Browne pant? I found them awlful short. Do you let it out a little bit to make the length normal?

Thom Browne clothes are short and taper since that their fashion statement. It's a very fashion forward brand. You're supposed to wear them short. If you want to wear normally, why would you buy them in the first place, especially when they're rather overpriced anyway?

ruhler

Reaction score
hey guys,
im looking to get some nice dress shoes. i am still in college and i could easily drop $300+ on a nice pair of allen edmonds and have them forever, its not really practical at the moment seeing as how i need 2-3 pairs (brown, black, other?). so what are some good brands that i can pick up a quality pair for $100-200

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Best place to start is your brother and his bride-to-be. It's their wedding and what they think is appropriate is what matters. You may receive responses here according you dress from odd trousers and shirt to a suit; but we don't know anything about wedding couple nor their desired formality (or casualness) for the event. So it's best to have a sincere talk with them, especially the bride.

Therein lies the problem. I love them to death, but they are borderline marsupialed and terrible at planning things. The only feedback I've gotten from them is "no denim"
frown.gif

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Superfluous Man
Therein lies the problem. I love them to death, but they are borderline marsupialed and terrible at planning things. The only feedback I've gotten from them is "no denim"
frown.gif

Suit, shirt and tie. Now, when you there, if you sense yourself overdressed, you can remove the jacket, or even the tie depending on how dressing down people are. It's all about appropriateness with the particular setting you're in. And that's how I always do it in events that I am not so sure about the level of formality. Especially for a wedding, one of the most important events in one's life, don't dress down. If for whatever reason you're under-dressed, that will be seen as disrespectful toward the couple, no matter how close you are to them.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda pissed... playing a gig and the dress code requires a grey or silver tie. Any suggestions? I want something relatively inexpensive... or somethig very nice.

I was thinking maybe a glen plaid tie, but is that versatile?

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Kinda pissed... playing a gig and the dress code requires a grey or silver tie. Any suggestions? I want something relatively inexpensive... or something very nice.

I was thinking maybe a glen plaid tie, but is that versatile?

Panta Grey Wool Herringbone tie from our own Edmorel. Nice, nice ties.

018-3.jpg

Thrifter

Reaction score
I'm here looking for a recommendation on the following for the upcoming FW season:

-Slim Mackintosh style khaki rain coat (hoping to pay under $150)
-Slim charcoal grey wool overcoat, heavy enough to stand up to Canadian winters (hoping to pay under $250)

bluebonnet

Reaction score
I dont see the point to buy jackets online without trying, but which store usually carry 36S or even 34 blazer? I am looking for something less expensive than 500 dollars.

dron

Reaction score
two questions.

1: i need a pointer towards a slim fitting pair of light to mid grey wool trousers. pleated and cuffed. and available online in europe...

2: how do you think white mop buttons would work on a quite dark greyish brown suit? how about on a blazer/odd jacket in the same color?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads