• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Eustice, is there a selvedge on the Barbera cloth? I would like to see it if it has one.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I'm not The Despos, but for what its worth I've examined the R&T Escorial in HK. Its nice (made in India I think), but really no comparison to the H&S version.

That being said, if your tailor is offering the cloth / suit at a good price, I would do it.

I am quite sure that the Escorial stuff was made in England. He only stocks the imported RT stuff.

He showed me a made in Scotland RT tweed that was lovely but too heavy to use in India. I am no expert in weights but it should have been at least 20oz IMO

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Eustice, is there a selvedge on the Barbera cloth? I would like to see it if it has one.

Sure - will snap some pics

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
I am quite sure that the Escorial stuff was made in England. He only stocks the imported RT stuff.

He showed me a made in Scotland RT tweed that was lovely but too heavy to use in India. I am no expert in weights but it should have been at least 20oz IMO

Hmm..I would double-check f I were you. The HK tailor specifically said that the R&T bolt I was examining was 'made in Asia.' Naturally, I took that to mean India.

Either way, unlike many here, I don't discount the quality of Indian fabrics. I've seen some pretty nice stuff from Raymond and believe Monti makes many of their shirtings there as well. If the fabric looks good and you like the pattern, I would buy it, and not worry whether it came from Huddersfield or not.

Really surprised that a tailor in Delhi stocks 20oz wool! Probably there for the tourists I guess.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Tip-Top haul from a recent trip: Carlo Barbera: Some shirtings:
I have been avoiding tip top by telling myself that they don't have anything I want. Now, I'll have to make it out there next weekend. Thanks for nothing.
ffffuuuu.gif
wink.gif

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have absolutely no need for this stuff, but I'm hoarding it anyway in the spirit of this thread:

P1070356.JPG

P1070358.JPG

P1070359.JPG

Was told this stuff is about 30 odd years old, which is > my age. Aweshum!

More vintage cloth p0rn in the FS thread in my sig!

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ooh, that's a pretty cool dogtooth, gshen.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gshen
I have absolutely no need for this stuff, but I'm hoarding it anyway in the spirit of this thread:

How many pocketsquares do I need to buy for you to personally deliver this to me in SF? I'll double it!

GBer

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, for what type of occasion can you this for?

eh.gif

P1070356.JPG

P1070358.JPG

P1070359.JPG

Was told this stuff is about 30 odd years old, which is > my age. Aweshum!

More vintage cloth p0rn in the FS thread in my sig!

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Tip-Top haul from a recent trip:

Carlo Barbera:

004-3.jpg

003-4.jpg

Very nice; who will be making that up for you?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
!

If you come to your pragmatic senses, please let me know, as I would love to take it off your hands!
devil.gif

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
Out of curiosity, for what type of occasion can you this for?

eh.gif

Does this thread even have to make sense? It's about unfunded liabilities, and if your realise, the posters are usually the same few people. That being said, the cloth is a pretty classic dogtooth that would be suitable for F/W wear.

Here is where it does not make sense at all: I live in a tropical clime where it is about 85 deg farenheit (or 30d.celcius) and 90% humidity year round.
blush.gif

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
If you come to your pragmatic senses, please let me know, as I would love to take it off your hands!
devil.gif

This is going into my coffin even if it doesn't get made up! I'll keep an eye open for something that you might like though.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
Very nice; who will be making that up for you?

Mina Adamo I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads