• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To the rest of the world, what's crazier?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's easy to forget that things which are copletely normal, seem completely crazy to most people. This is inspired by the "Prioritizing My Wardrobe" thread, where someone recommended Panta trousers.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll go with ties. I think there's some acceptance that suits and shoes can cost that much, they're much more durable. They also come in sizes, so I think it's accepted that one has to pay more for something to fit, even if it's OTR. But ties, barring custom jobs (which I had never heard about until I found this place) are one-size-fits-all, and can be had very, very cheaply. Additionally, they're on the surface more fragile than shoes or suits.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That kind of poll itself on an elitist sartorial forum like SF is a heresy...

What's crazier? Cheap ties,shoes and suits.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should add an option for pocket-squares.

"You paid what for that small square of silk?!"
lol8[1].gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also add an option for accessories (e.g., wallets, briefcases, belts, etc.)

ajv

Reaction score
who on earth cares about what "outsiders" think....?
I am not doing it to please or un-please others, but because I like to. And usually I don't tell others what the cost of my clothing is, even if asked about it.
There are, though, times when I will refrain from wearing certain items that, because of their colour or shape, will immediately tell the "half-outsider" that it could be an expensive/very expensive piece. Yes, there are occasions where I tame it down.
A good example, not many in this world have an idea about how much certain watches can cost. I therefore can wear some of my FPJ's everyday. But depending on where I have to go, I will not wear one of them, because the people I have to meet, might know the price and could become judgemental, which again could be annoying and embarassing for me.

Adrian

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ties for sure because you can always find top of the line ties usually going for $200+ MSRP for < $100 on B&S. Guess you can say the same for dress shirts since you can find staples in B&S for <$150.

There really is no reason to spend more than what you can already get on B&S.

Suits and shoes are harder to find for sizes at discounted prices.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
You should add an option for pocket-squares.

"You paid what for that small square of silk?!"
lol8[1].gif

+1 I can't see myself spending any real money on a pocket square. Mine are mostly crap, and I'm okay with that.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes that cost > $500, imo. General public is familair with "fashion" brands like Armani, Versace, Boss, etc..., and associate them with making suits, shirts and ties. Expensive shoes, on the other hand, are usually something only women care about.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to think shoes too but I'm the type that has favorites and wears those favorites to death.

So for pound for pound usage, shoes aren't nearly as bad as ties.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about Dress Shirts > $400? Even I can't understand that.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
What about Dress Shirts > $400? Even I can't understand that.

I once spent $500 on a dress shirt, but it's a living symbiote that absorbs pit-sweat, and makes my pecs look bigger.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I voted shoes, because everyone buys em. Suits and ties, not so much. Shirts at $150 isn't THAT crazy as many in places like JCrew and Banana (retail mall brands) are around $80. Same with pants, as they can go for close to $100 is "high end" mall stores. But for most Americans, a "good pair of shoes" is $100...when we know you an spend 5x that much...everything else is only double at most.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics