• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saphir Renovateur to clean shoes?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
If I might be so presumptious as to illustrate what DWF is saying with an analogy that many here on teh StyleForvm will understand: It is like the difference between Americans and Canadians on one hand, and Europeans on the other. Americans and Canadians (and by "Canadian" I, of course, exclude French Canadians) tend to shower and bathe every day. This habit helps to remove microfine particles of ground rock, old coke bottles, etc. Europeans, in contrast, do not. They tend to rub lotion on their bodies and to douse themselves with cologne instead of bathing. This just moves the dirt around...including obsidian glass that settles on the body from the periodic eruptions of Vesuvius (a cone-shaped mountain near Naples.) I hope that was helpful. - B
Helpful and apt. Here in the "upper left-hand corner" Vesuvius is but a shadow to Mt. Mazama. If obsidian weren't black (or sometimes red) we could see the earthworms for catching bullheads.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Americans and Canadians (and by "Canadian" I, of course, exclude French Canadians) tend to shower and bathe every day. This habit helps to remove microfine particles of ground rock, old coke bottles, etc. - B
Do Americanadians subsequently strain the bathwater and then freebase the trapped particulate?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Here in the "upper left-hand corner" Vesuvius is but a shadow to Mt. Mazama.

Don't get me started on how puny European volcanos are.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Do Americanadians subsequently strain the bathwater and then freebase the trapped particulate?

If only Perrier drinkers knew the full truth...

- B

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I'm repeating myself but it bears repeating--soap gets rinsed off. The oils and greases in soap lift and encapsulate the dirt so that a "flushing" with water can remove it from the surface.

If you're not rinsing in the shower, you're not clean. More Joop is indicated.

Again...saddle soap is fine for...ahem...saddles. On shoes in leaves a tallow residue that collects and holds dirt...in the creases.

Why does it have to be by rinsing? The dirt still gets picked up -- and ends up either transferred to the cloth or pushed to the edges of the shoe. Right?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LaoHu
You must mean QuÃ
00a9.png
00a9.png
cois. There are no "French" Canadians.

You would not joke about this if you had gone to the Store Sign Apostrophe Graveyard in which apostrophes ripped from store signs throughout QuÃ
00a9.png
bec in the 1970s and 1980s are interred.

- B

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
Why does it have to be by rinsing? The dirt still gets picked up -- and ends up either transferred to the cloth or pushed to the edges of the shoe. Right?
Well, think it through. Why do you need the Renovateur? Can't you just rub the shoe down with a rag? Won't that transfer the dirt to the cloth? Of course it will...to a limited degree--approximately to the same degree that wiping your face with a dry cloth will remove the coal dust after a hard day in the mines. Or just wiping the spaghetti sauce off a plate before putting it back in the cupboard. But what actually happens? In the case of your face, some dust comes off on the cloth. But, even if only by virtue of the oils that your skin naturally has, much of the dirt will remain, embedded in those oils, and most of that will end up in the creases of your skin. The same thing happens with leather...which is, after all, a preserved form of skin. I am near-as-nevermind certain (never having used it myself) that Renovateur was formulated to penetrate into the pores of the leather and nourish the fiber mat beneath the corium/grain surface. So, you rub it around. The more you rub it the warmer/softer it gets and the more it soaks in...carrying dirt with it. It begs the question doesn't it? ...or several questions:
1) If you could rub it all off, then what good is it? 2) If you can't rub it all off, what do you suppose happens to the dirt and microfines that are carried into the pores and creases of the leather by the cream? Nevermind that the residue acts like fly-paper picking up even more dirt sitting in your closet. 3) What do you suppose this vigorous rubbing of all that micro-grit is doing to the leather?​

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is why I vacuum my shoes at the end of each day.

I use a converted Flowbee with the cutting attachments removed.

- B

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is why I vacuum my shoes at the end of each day. I use a converted Flowbee with the cutting attachments removed. - B
Not enough suction...you need something that will lift a bowling ball. Seriously, however...daily brushing and even a light wipe-down is helpful. But it is not the same as washing and rinsing during the dark of the moon.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think the chemicals "penetrate" the leather the same way dirt might. The cleaner element of it is for getting (regular) dirt out of creases, crevices, stitching, that sort of thing. I don't think it's supposed to pull microscopic abrasives out of like some kind of clay bar for shoes. But what do I know?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not enough suction...you need something that will lift a bowling ball.

This is similar to advice that I received as a freshman back in college from older pals while we were at a roadtrip party at Smith.

It was good advice then, so I have no reason to question you.

- B

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, think it through. Why do you need the Renovateur? Can't you just rub the shoe down with a rag? Won't that transfer the dirt to the cloth?

Of course it will...to a limited degree--approximately to the same degree that wiping your face with a dry cloth will remove the coal dust after a hard day in the mines. Or just wiping the spaghetti sauce off a plate before putting it back in the cupboard.

But what actually happens? In the case of your face, some dust comes off on the cloth. But, even if only by virtue of the oils that your skin naturally has, much of the dirt will remain, embedded in those oils, and most of that will end up in the creases of your skin.

Thanks for your explanations, DW. I use Lexol myself.

Not to take this off tangent, but doesn't your explanation I quoted above speak against the great american tradtion of using toilet paper?
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Not to take this off tangent, but doesn't your explanation I quoted above speak against the great american tradtion of using toilet paper?
smile.gif

Shall I answer?

Let me know.

- B

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shall I answer? Let me know. - B
Please do...although I admit to having a momentary dizzy spell as the word "bidet" flashed behind my eyes like a cue card.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads