• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How light color of pants would you wear during winter?

CashmereLover

Reaction score
I would like to buy a pair of nice pants for autumn/winter, and after a lot of thinking and searching I've decided to get a pair of wool/flanel Prince of Wales check pants.

There are two pants at Yoox which I'm choosing from, both listed in the autumn/winter category. One pair is light colored from Mabitex, the other is a little darker and rougher style from Ralph Lauren. I think I prefer the overall impression of the Mabitex pants, but I'm hesitating with the color: is it really OK to wear such bright pants during the winter, in the dark northern Europe? What do you think? See the two attached photos.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The RL pants would be fine. I'm sure someone could get away with wearing the Mabitex in the winter, but I'm not that person.

awxg

Reaction score
I wear white denim in winter. To hell with these rules.

AndyMcL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by awxg

Ditto. White can look great in winter. I really like wearing white jeans after a fresh snow fall, before it gets all dirty.

VictorJB

Reaction score

I just hope your not in the fashion industry.

I would go with the RL ones on the right...

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope he doesn't get lost in the snow -)

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Thank you for your views. I'm not that fashion-oriented, so I really do feel that the Mabitex pants are questionable to wear during a Swedish winter, whilst they would better to wear in e.g. Italy. The Ralph Lauren pants on the other hand are in a true winter style, colorwise, so I'm confident they will be the better choice.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Amen. White goes great with winter, it matches the season. Whites, powder blues, light grays.... who the hell says that winter has to be dark and drab when the season itself is so light colored?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear stone and off-white in winter fabrics (e.g., corduroy, flannel, etc.) during winter.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I wear stone and off-white in winter fabrics (e.g., corduroy, flannel, etc.) during winter.
+1. Both pants are perfectly appropriate, but would require slim blazers/coats.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Winter is such a grey affair here in Toronto. Trees and flowers are asleep and grass loses its colour.
99% of pepople wear lifeless blacks and greys already so why would I want to add to the drearyness with lifeless white pants?
My white pants are for warm summery weather only.
I prefer to wear more colourful pants during the colder and messier months.
It makes me happier and others too. Why make winter more boring than it already is?

The old un-written rule of 'no white after labour day' probably came out of a sensibility
that white simply cannot stay white in mud, muck, slush, storms, etc.
Darker colours attract the suns heat and is condusive to body warmth. White doesn't.
I'll wear white pants from spring to fall but never for winter.
To those who do, my compliments. To each his own.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Amen. White goes great with winter, it matches the season. Whites, powder blues, light grays.... who the hell says that winter has to be dark and drab when the season itself is so light colored?

Just don't wander outside of a settlement during a blizzard unless Google is tracking your cell phone. (Winter safety tip.) Otherwise, knock yourself out.

joei

Reaction score
In the winter, the lightest I go is usually heather gray. Once in a while I might break out a pair of light tan colored jeans

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Google have the service called "Latitude" which you can link to your smart phone. It is pretty useful when you arrange an event. You can see where everyone involved are located.

As for pants, I live in California, so we can even wear white if we wanted to. Labor day rule need not apply. In your case however, I think both pants are fine - though, I like the RL one more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads