• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fitting room etiquette?

computerpro3

Reaction score
Spurred on by the "worst customer ever" thread, I've always wondered what everyone else does in this situation:

If you need to try on four or five shirts at a time, what do you do if they don't fit and you're done with them? If they a simple hangar on a rack, of course I'll put it back, but if they are from a fancy display and all properly folded, do you try to re-fold it just the way they had or is it okay to just leave it in the fitting room?

I don't want to be a douchebag and I don't mind putting things back, but sometimes I can't figure out how they fold them so it would look like crap anyway...

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my country sales person wouldnt let you try folded shirts. They have some samples on hanger for you.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It takes less than a minute to refold shirts back to their fancy haberdasher state. I usually leave the shirts on the chair or whatever. There is almost always a person designated to process the clothes left in a fitting room and to put them back.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
The proper and respectable thing to do is to bring out EVERYTHING from the fitting room and give them to an associate.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
The proper and respectable thing to do is to bring out EVERYTHING from the fitting room and give them to an associate.

+1 End thread.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leave it with the person who is responsible for the fitting room. They usually have a rack with hangers and they will fold everything and put things back. Don't ever leave stuff in the fitting room or the cameras will think you stuffed it down your pants. You enter a fitting room carrying an item and leave without it and the security will think you stole it. Or leave it on the cart/rack of clothes near the fitting rooms.

Or if this person is not there, take it back to the location of the item and put it back there, even in the unfolded state. An associate will come by and fold it. At least then, they don't have to locate the item and then locate where the item is on the sales floor. It sucks being an associate already, try to be courteous to them.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you dump a heap of clothes on an associate who is probably already helping someone else? Like I said, most stores have a person designated to go through the fitting rooms and clear them out.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
QFT And it takes more than a minute to refold shirts properly. To make it look the same way it did before it was unfolded actually takes quite a bit of work.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In your quest for ultimate politeness don't forget that people in stores actually get paid for what they do. It's their job. You need not be ashamed of ruining the perfect alignment of shirts on display or not putting everything back exactly the way it was.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
Leave it with the person who is responsible for the fitting room. They usually have a rack with hangers and they will fold everything and put things back. Don't ever leave stuff in the fitting room or the cameras will think you stuffed it down your pants. You enter a fitting room carrying an item and leave without it and the security will think you stole it. Or leave it on the cart/rack of clothes near the fitting rooms.

Or if this person is not there, take it back to the location of the item and put it back there, even in the unfolded state. An associate will come by and fold it. At least then, they don't have to locate the item and then locate where the item is on the sales floor. It sucks being an associate already, try to be courteous to them.

This would work only if you're in a large department store with no helpful sales staff or if you're in a lower-priced bargain store such as Wal-Mart. This would not be a good idea if you're in a higher-end clothing store.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark

Why would you dump a heap of clothes on an associate who is probably already helping someone else? Like I said, most stores have a person designated to go through the fitting rooms and clear them out.

I merely said you should bring all your clothing out from the fitting room yourself and just give them to an associate who can either fold them and put them away immediately or later on if he is busy with someone else at the moment. I never said I expected the associate to put away your unfolded shirts and pants immediately.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leave a fart, most decent thing to do

mogultv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by computerpro3
Spurred on by the "worst customer ever" thread, I've always wondered what everyone else does in this situation:

If you need to try on four or five shirts at a time, what do you do if they don't fit and you're done with them? If they a simple hangar on a rack, of course I'll put it back, but if they are from a fancy display and all properly folded, do you try to re-fold it just the way they had or is it okay to just leave it in the fitting room?

I don't want to be a douchebag and I don't mind putting things back, but sometimes I can't figure out how they fold them so it would look like crap anyway...

I thought one was supposed to leave clothes that were tried on in the fitting rooms for the sales/merchandise personnel to refold or hang, and put back on stock. If it's not anything fancy, I will usually bring the garment(s) out to the saleperson so it can be properly put back in place.

hermes man

Reaction score
never happens to me because every shop i go there only have like 1-2 my size or normally none
laugh.gif

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman

Originally Posted by landshark

High end clothing stores do not have someone responsible for the fitting room. The sales associate does everything, especially if its commission. Target has someone responsible for the fitting room.

Bring your clothes out is the way to go; a good associate will ask you to leave what you didn't like in the room.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads