• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il ciclista
What's a good way to avoid getting polish on the seams?

Don't polish them unless absolutely necessary, and keep it away from the seams
eh.gif

Obenauf's leather polish and oil is usually enough to get by, unless you have major scuffage.

stvwrd

Reaction score
Had my GTs about 4 months and love 'em.

Only problem is they've ruined all my socks. Anyone else had this?

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes same here, but i don't really care because you can't see socks when you're wearing them.

Meso: i guess i am still stuck in the military mindset of keeping my boots polished. They are getting scuffed here and there and i'd like to have something on there to protect them.

Tron

Reaction score
I used to wear Red Wing's when I was a Steamfitter, and had the same issue. I had to have one set of socks for work as the would all turn blood red. I was hoping those days were gone. I guess not? I do generally have sweaty feet...

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My socks are fine. Maybe I'm not sweating bullets?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il ciclista
i guess i am still stuck in the military mindset of keeping my boots polished.

Same here - I have accidentally blackened far too many pairs of Doc Martin boots because I just could not help spit-polishing them before the RSM gave me a bollocking!
laugh.gif

I got my GTs last week and will try using leather conditioner and neutral polish if I can.

ceekay

Reaction score
just got the black cherry GTs last week... which i got for $150 btw
laugh.gif

they are perfectly comfortable for me, i can see why people say they are narrow though..

i was worried that they would look to bulbous, but they dont at all and i am small with slim fit pants..

the leather is very soft... maybe even too soft since they scratch very easily.

my only concern is the color.. they are certainly not dark brown boots.. like the iron rangers would be..
but having a cordovan color makes them much more versatile and i will certainly wear them to work (im a teacher.

overall though, i love them. i say get them.. but get them in the light brown and darken them yourself..

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where did you get them for $150 ? I'm on the hunt for the chestnut GT in either round or moc toe...leaning towards round since i have the 1907, which is moc...

ceekay

Reaction score
ebay haha.. mine are round toe.. i have the classic lug in a moc.. i was getting the GTs as a replacement but they are so different that the mocs are now my beaters and the GT are my new dress boot..

i almost bought the moc. as sort of an alden 405 look but the moc toe actually comes up at the seam (since its not just stitching its two pieces) and pretty much locks them down as a casual boot IMO.. but i love the chestnut. im kind of sad i didnt get them....BUT the Clarks DB in bees wax is an ideal shoe.

oh and the last thing is that i feel like the round toe is easier to oil and bring back to life vs. the moc

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
so true size is...really true size ?!

Tigerprawn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
so true size is...really true size ?!

If it were that easy... the questions about sizing would've ended 2 years ago. lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads