• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_state

Reaction score
Does anyone know when Alden NYC's (Madison Ave) once-a-year sale kicks in and what the discounts are?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the_state
Does anyone know when Alden NYC's (Madison Ave) once-a-year sale kicks in and what the discounts are?
This is surely not on all models, right? If so, I would venture that people would just save up for the sale and go nuts instead of paying retail.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
~3 year old Alden #8 PTB - after a quick polish today morning:
Gorgeous!
Some pics in afternoon sunlight:

Cigar LWB:

Ravello PTB:

Two more great pairs. How would you rate the versatility of the Ravello PTB's? I feel they would not get much wear, which is odd because I believe my ravello longwings are very versatile.
^ Thank you ...

And here is some whiskey for the afternoon -- I am not a big fan of the lighter whiskey shade, but these shoes are darker and they are darkening to a beautiful shade of brown.

(aberdeen last captoe bals in whiskey shell -- my favourite shoe in my collection)

These look great. I agree about the lighter whiskey. These look almost to be ravello.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ahab!

Originally Posted by Ahab
Two more great pairs. How would you rate the versatility of the Ravello PTB's? I feel they would not get much wear, which is odd because I believe my ravello longwings are very versatile.

I like ravello much more than usual whiskey ... I really like the alden PTB design and I have them in #8/cigar/ravello/scotch grain and wear them a LOT. Ravello PTBs go really well with khakis (which is what I wear mostly) and they also go well with selvage denim. I wore my ravello PTB and LWB alteast once a week this summer, and they looked great.

I'd say cigar>ravello in terms of versatality though. The PTBs are great for displaying the beauty of shell!

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
This is surely not on all models, right? If so, I would venture that people would just save up for the sale and go nuts instead of paying retail.
NYC store got sale in Feb__ yea, not all models & the ones that are are usually just about $50 off retail
plain.gif

aizan

Reaction score
how does sizing run on the lhs? i fit 6.5d in aberdeen and hampton.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Don't forget about the shoes mart factory seconds. I have purchased two from them now and the "mistakes" were minor scuffing on both. You can just return them if they're unacceptable. I got my pair of two stroke indys there for $300 delivered. (It's also awesome to see the vendor exclusives wind up there.)

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sockpuppets
Don't forget about the shoes mart factory seconds. I have purchased two from them now and the "mistakes" were minor scuffing on both. You can just return them if they're unacceptable. I got my pair of two stroke indys there for $300 delivered. (It's also awesome to see the vendor exclusives wind up there.)
More info on these 2nds please? How/when are they available?

einhander

Reaction score
Just got my first pair of Aldens. I got the Indy 405, as I figure thatd be a good start. Sadly no pics, yet, but so far Im enjoying the boot, and breaking them in.

GreatHighway

Reaction score
Originally Posted by einhander
I got the Indy 405, as I figure thatd be a good start.

thats a great place to start. i was there not too long ago

I'd say cigar>ravello in terms of versatality though. The PTBs are great for displaying the beauty of shell!

i think ravello goes better with more of my wardrobe than cigar. looks good with raw and washed denim, khakis and different colored cotton pants IMO. i agree with you about PTBs being a great canvas to showcase shell characteristics

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreatHighway
i think ravello goes better with more of my wardrobe than cigar. looks good with raw and washed denim, khakis and different colored cotton pants IMO. i agree with you about PTBs being a great canvas to showcase shell characteristics

I think cigar is an all-year color ... which is why I gave it the higher rank. But we are nitpicking here - all alden shell colors are great!

GreatHighway

Reaction score
well hey, "which of my $600 shoes looks the best?" is a great problem to have and discuss
smile.gif

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some pics in afternoon sunlight: Cigar LWB:
HUGUx.png

Beautiful! Makes me sad I'll have to settle for a pair of non shell AE longwings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads