• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercedes Benz R350?

runner-guy

Reaction score
Hey fellas. Still keeping my eyes open for SUV's/crossovers when we have our baby next February. Looking to get one certified pre-owned and I've noticed the Mercedes R350. Anyone have experience with this ride? I don't have much experience with Mercedes but will it be insanely expensive to repair?

KenN

Reaction score
I don't know anything about cars. But congrats!

edit: if you get it new, it should come with a multi-year warranty, so repairs are not a big issue until it expires

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
don't. just don't. Also, babies only weigh like 10 lbs and are a foot and a half tall - why do you need to buy a car that is 2, 3 times bigger?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexei
Also, in my opinion, it's the ugliest Mercedes. Just sayin'.
+1. Although the 2011 looks a bit better, it's still very ugly, IMO.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ugliest MB. That includes the CLS.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I have to chime in thinking the car is fugly. However, if that's the one you want, I say go for it. Also, yes, MB service bills are huge. This is why I lease and prepay the maint. for about $575 for the 36 months I'll have the vehicle.

runner-guy

Reaction score
Just wanted some opinions. I really like the Volvo XC90.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't like it, but that's just me. I would get the GLK if I were you.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by runner-guy
Just wanted some opinions. I really like the Volvo XC90.

My wife had an XC90. It would have been about a 2005 model, as it was too leases ago. It had the five cylinder turbo engine. It was a good car for her. I have heard the newer eight cylinder has had some issues, but can't confirm. All I know is, it was a good car for her.

CHenry

Reaction score
Hey fellas. Still keeping my eyes open for SUV's/crossovers when we have our baby next February. Looking to get one certified pre-owned and I've noticed the Mercedes R350. Anyone have experience with this ride? I don't have much experience with Mercedes but will it be insanely expensive to repair?

Congratulations to you and your family.

Don't buy that Mercedes R350. If it does break, it will be expensive to fix unless it is on a warranty, in which case it will just be inconvenient.

If you have one child, you really don't need a three-row vehicle. By the time the child has friends or siblings, you will be onto some other car. Kids do need room for stuff, but not that much room. And really, unless you are hauling a household out of town every weekend, why have a big vehicle like that when you really don't need it? The R-class has huge doors that are hard to open in seemingly ever-smaller parking spaces and it has a dismal reliability record. I am sure MB wishes it hadn't even introduced the car; it seems like the Mercedes-Benz answer to the Chrysler Pacifica. You might find them cheap, as they are probably trying to get rid of them, but that is little consolation and certainly no reason to buy an expensive and troublesome car.

If you have to have a Mercedes SUV, the M350 is a better bet, or even the GLK, which is a lot less expensive. The M350 has a Bluetec diesel option, if you want a better mileage option. Another option for an upscale car with wagon-like capacity is the BMW X3 or the VW Tiguan or Touraeg, the last also with a TDI engine option.

runner-guy

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely don't need to get a Mercedes, it just one of the vehicles I noticed. I also like the Lexus RX 350 and the Acura MDX since their reliability ratings are very good.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely don't need to get a Mercedes, it just one of the vehicles I noticed. I also like the Lexus RX 350 and the Acura MDX since their reliability ratings are very good.

Are you looking to lease or buy? If buy, new or used? If the answer is "buy" I would go with the MDX. It's about tied for the lowest prices of the listed vehicles yet has the highest residual value and I think, the best long term reliability.

runner-guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Are you looking to lease or buy? If buy, new or used? If the answer is "buy" I would go with the MDX. It's about tied for the lowest prices of the listed vehicles yet has the highest residual value and I think, the best long term reliability.
I'm definitely looking to buy certified pre-owned, not lease. Yeah, Acura's reliability is pretty amazing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads