• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Android phone recommendations/discussion?

ysb

Reaction score
update here:

I've been using the HTC aria on ATT for the past week and the battery life is kind of ******. with no activity on the phone a fully charged battery will be at 30% by the end of the day! I was the most skeptical about the virtual keyboard, and while it's usable, I still think I need a physical keyboard. I love everything google and all of the features of Android, but I think that what I'm prioritizing most over everything in a phone is the ability to message easily and battery life.

so I'm going to buy a cheap blackberry on craigslist and use that. I know it's a step backwards, but it's the best choice for me.

BossTweed

Reaction score
Switching from ATT and Verizon, I was in the market for an Android phone. Ended up with the HTC Incredible -- the Droid X is too big and I don't need the pullout keyboard of the Droid 2. I am very, very pleased with the switch.

Compared to the iPhone 4, it's got worse battery life and the screen is neither as high resolution nor as bright. However, the OS is fantastic. The notification system is excellent and much less intrusive than Apples. Also, widgets are great and an element the iPhone is inexplicably lacking. I would recommend the Incredible to anyone switching over to Verizon from the iPhone.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So just got the Samsung Captivate for my son and I have to say, I am impressed. We have two Iphones and I thought I was going to get him one but the bigger screen on the Samsung called out to me and I started playing around with it and I loved the OS, loved the graphics (same LED as the Iphone 4) and the camera/casmcorder capabilities on it are pretty awesome. Not sure if I am going to convert from Iphone to Droid, but this phone rocks.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Its sort of amazing that people buy phones from Dell, all things considered...

milosh

Reaction score
I am considering getting an Android phone and am mostly in a dilemma whether to get one with a physical keyboard or not. Strongly considering the Desire.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Its sort of amazing that people buy phones from Dell, all things considered...

Why? Dell had what was widely thought of as one of the best PDAs (Axim X50/51v) for years. I still have my Axim which has now been relegated to my GPS.

The only marsupialed thing about the streak is that even if you buy it at full price it's still locked to AT&T. I really don't get the US phone industry.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Why? Dell had what was widely thought of as one of the best PDAs (Axim X50/51v) for years. I still have my Axim which has now been relegated to my GPS.

The only marsupialed thing about the streak is that even if you buy it at full price it's still locked to AT&T. I really don't get the US phone industry.

Dell is also currently (and more accurately) known as the manufacturer of cheap, ****** computers. Not someone I'd want to buy a phone off of.

The phone probably only works fully on the AT&T part of the bandwidth spectrum.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't even know Dell made phones.

Rumor is Sprint will allow Android on SERO starting Oct. 1 (with an upcharge, of course, but seems a 4g phone will be $50/month vs. the $30/month I'm paying now...still a good deal). Planning on getting an Epic or Evo. I'm still rocking the original HTC Touch....can't wait to upgrade, it's been almost three years.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
I didn't even know Dell made phones. Rumor is Sprint will allow Android on SERO starting Oct. 1 (with an upcharge, of course, but seems a 4g phone will be $50/month vs. the $30/month I'm paying now...still a good deal). Planning on getting an Epic or Evo. I'm still rocking the original HTC Touch....can't wait to upgrade, it's been almost three years.
Hello fellow SERO user
fistbump.gif
I wouldn't bank on the 10/1 setup as of yet. I'm hopeful, mostly because I've got a ****** sanyo flip phone. I think I might hold out until the end of the year as there are supposedly a few good releases coming around x-mas.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Hello fellow SERO user
fistbump.gif

I wouldn't bank on the 10/1 setup as of yet. I'm hopeful, mostly because I've got a ****** sanyo flip phone. I think I might hold out until the end of the year as there are supposedly a few good releases coming around x-mas.

I didn't believe it at first, but it seems pretty legit the more I read. I commend you on your patience...if it's true, I'll be in line Oct. 1.

Out of curiosity, what have you heard about x-mas releases? I don't know much about what's on the horizon beyond the Epic.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
I didn't believe it at first, but it seems pretty legit the more I read. I commend you on your patience...if it's true, I'll be in line Oct. 1. Out of curiosity, what have you heard about x-mas releases? I don't know much about what's on the horizon beyond the Epic.
As for Sprint, only the Hero 2 looks interesting. But that's been out for 6 months in Europe already so its behind the times. Windows 7 will be out by Xmas plus a few new releases on the Android front. I love my plan but I might consider switching especially since I plan on doing some traveling and you really can't do much with CDMA outside of the country.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 looks cool, but current WinMo sucks so badly that I'm not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and buy blind, and I've been wanting a new phone for so long that I don't feel like waiting longer for reviews to come in. I suspect I'll be pretty happy with Android.

You could always grab a used TP2 for travel outside the US. Has a sim card for GSM and even works with the $30 SERO plan.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
7 looks cool, but current WinMo sucks so badly that I'm not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and buy blind, and I've been wanting a new phone for so long that I don't feel like waiting longer for reviews to come in. I suspect I'll be pretty happy with Android. You could always grab a used TP2 for travel outside the US. Has a sim card for GSM and even works with the $30 SERO plan.
I'd sooner ******** and die than use a WinMo 6.5 phone. The TP2 has 200mb of memory. Its embarrassing. I don't know if 7'll be good or not but if I re-up now I can't keep my option of switching open.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I'd sooner ******** and die than use a WinMo 6.5 phone. The TP2 has 200mb of memory. Its embarrassing. I don't know if 7'll be good or not but if I re-up now I can't keep my option of switching open.
Don't blame you there. Android has been close for a while on the TP2 but there are still a few annoying issues and with the dated hardware I wonder if anyone'll ever bother to get it fully functional. Epic looks good, but I'm not crazy about getting a phone made by Samsung. And wtf is with it coming with 2.1? Samsung already has a rep for being slow with updates, and now they're releasing their killer phone with an already outdated OS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads