• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cb_32
Hey guys, how are Brooks Brothers suits?

Awful at retail. Wait until they're in the clearance bin at 40-50% off, and even then maybe not worth it. Depends on your price range.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Awful at retail. Wait until they're in the clearance bin at 40-50% off, and even then maybe not worth it. Depends on your price range.

im mostly inquiring about fit and quality.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cb_32
im mostly inquiring about fit and quality.
Which line of BB suits are you looking at? Golden Fleece, 1818, or 346? -------------- My question: can you wear a white contrast collar shirt with a striped suit? I imagine this is faux pas, but just curious. How about a contrast collar with a great suit?

KevinTJH

Reaction score
I need a rockstar costume/outfit for a costume party I'll be attending tomorrow.

Any suggestions? I've got the rocker bracelet and a fake ear ring.

THIS IS REALLY URGENT!

Thanks in advance!

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
I just got a trench coat that's too long... it has an internal liner that's pretty cool that I want to preserve; it attaches by zipper. What can I expect to pay a decent tailor to shorten it?
Bump, looking for insight. Might scrap the liner

nohio

Reaction score
I can't decide if I should change the shoulder, arm, and bicep measurements on my next shirt from Modern Tailor. I'm mainly concerned with the areas around the armpits on the front and back. Also, not sure if the arms are too long. I know for certain that the waist is too small on my first one (that is why it's unbuttoned for the pics). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nohio
I can't decide if I should change the shoulder, arm, and bicep measurements on my next shirt from Modern Tailor. I'm mainly concerned with the areas around the armpits on the front and back. Also, not sure if the arms are too long. I know for certain that the waist is too small on my first one (that is why it's unbuttoned for the pics). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What you should do is get a shirt tailored to fit you perfectly, spend $10 to send it to Modern Tailor, and have them duplicate that shirt with all your future orders.

Tanker

Reaction score
Hey guys, just registered, first time poster here.

I have a pretty broad/bulky/fat-ish body type with a bit of a small hump below my neck on my back, not fit at all. During the winters I'm fine, however during the spring/summer/fall I often wear t-shirts that don't fit me properly. I've noticed it's becuase the t-shirts I own aren't of good quality or are too thin/flimsy and do not fit on me well. They often have my chest extrude too much or they expose my neck/hump in my back.

Where are some good places to start looking for t-shirts/nice looking shirts that will fit me properly? I don't want any v-neck shirts and I'm looking for shirts that aren't loose and thin.

LRMD

Reaction score
Will brooks brothers have a sale on regular shirts soon, or should I go ahead and buy them now instead of waiting? Thanks.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
not sure where to post this. I'm not used to wearing suits/ties beyond funeral/interview/wedding situations, where I traditionally have worn solid shirts. would like to try something different for a wedding this weekend. Saturday night in the city, but certainly not black tie or black tie optional. want to wear something with a little more flavor/fun.
would this shirt work with this suit? blue or orange ties the best?

no offense, but
uhoh.gif
generally between shirt, suit, and tie, only two should have a pattern at most (generalization). For formal events, stick to white shirts. Those ties are pretty bad, especially the orange one, very 90's. Get a nice simple grenadine in a sharp color like burgandy or something.
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
This is a linen suit that I just picked up from alterations after buying it from the b&s forum (my first purchase). I wasn't planning on opening up a new thread, and can't find my proper camera, but was hoping if the fit of the suit is passable? (be gentle, I havn't posted pics before).
looks good. Maybe a little high on the button stance, but a 9/10 at least. Enjoy! and avoid Ketchup
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by nohio
Looks pretty good to me. Shoulders look a little wide, arms could be slimmed a little further. Try reaching in front of you (like you're typing). Try crossing your arms - is the back too tight? sleeves become too short? Chest looks ok, maybe just a little big compared to the waist. See what others think too, those are just my first thoughts.

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Strictly speaking, the style is "blucher". When use the word "oxfords" many may understand it as "balmorals". The toe is "perforated captoes", some also use "punch-cap" to describe them.

The wear on the sole is medium to light, probably worn about < 10 times. But whoever had this pair doesn't polish the upper well enough (wrong polish color for example).

why is this shoe worth < $70 or whatever you said ? if its been worn 10 times has it been sitting in the closet?

poissa

Reaction score
So I need a new pair of trousers, any type is fine. My first thought coming to mind is try going the MTM route and get some wool pants, ideally once the sizing is correct, I'll avoid paying for the pants and again for finishes. Is said logic flawed? What are some brands that provide decent value? The Docker's brand ain't bad for $30-35 just not a great fit for me.

poissa

Reaction score
black pinstripe pants with brown oxfords ... is that a no no?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
black pinstripe pants with brown oxfords ... is that a no no?

Depends on the shade of brown.

EZ

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads