• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone like Bill Maher?

Hey Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
The fact that those people exist in the U.S. is a testament to our freedom, because they have a right to feel the way that they do. I certainly do not agree with religious fanatics, but I understand that their existence is a necessary result of a society that encourages free thought.

Or encourages white trash idiots.

If America was truly a society that encouraged free thought - there wouldn't be so much controversy over issues that shouldn't even exist in 2010.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hey Man
Or encourages white trash idiots.

If America was truly a society that encouraged free thought - there wouldn't be so much controversy over issues that shouldn't even exist in 2010.

Stupidity is not limited, or characterized by the elapse of time and certainly not specific to any geographical region. You're attempting to attribute this type of thinking specifically to America, which is ridiculous.

By "issues", I'm assuming that you mean prostitution, drugs and gay marriage, which are the only freedoms you have mentioned that are bound by laws. No nations exists that can please all of its citizens uniformly.

When you take into account the pros and cons of every nation (laws, living conditions, culture, landscape, technology and history), the U.S. is arguably the best place to live (based on the desires you have mentioned, particularly freedom). While we may not have the "sophisticated" culture of some European nations, we have (for the better) shaped the world around us in more substantial ways than any other nation - which is why the U.S. is considered to be the greatest nation that exists today.

If the cons outweighed the pros, people would be trying to escape America by the millions, yet what you see is the exact opposite. I guess it's possible that everyone else just doesn't get it, and you're the truly enlightened one, but I highly doubt it.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stupidity is not limited, or characterized by the elapse of time and certainly not specific to any geographical region. You're attempting to attribute this type of thinking specifically to America, which is ridiculous.

By "issues", I'm assuming that you mean prostitution, drugs and gay marriage, which are the only freedoms you have mentioned that are bound by laws. No nations exists that can please all of its citizens uniformly.

When you take into account the pros and cons of every nation (laws, living conditions, culture, landscape, technology and history), the U.S. is arguably the best place to live (based on the desires you have mentioned, particularly freedom). While we may not have the "sophisticated" culture of some European nations, we have (for the better) shaped the world around us in more substantial ways than any other nation - which is why the U.S. is considered to be the greatest nation that exists today.

If the cons outweighed the pros, people would be trying to escape America by the millions, yet what you see is the exact opposite. I guess it's possible that everyone else just doesn't get it, and you're the truly enlightened one, but I highly doubt it.

laugh.gif
facepalm.gif

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
laugh.gif
facepalm.gif

It's really a shame that you have no basis to say the same things about your nation
smile.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really a shame that you have no basis to say the same things about your nation
smile.gif

Yes, The Netherlands has never been on top of the world (mom). The only people calling the US the greatest nation in the world are (American) political candidates during election time, and you, apparently.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, The Netherlands has never been on top of the world (mom). The only people calling the US the greatest nation in the world are (American) political candidates during election time, and you, apparently.
I said that it's "considered" to be the greatest nation in the world, which is an opinion shared by, IMO, a large majority of this country - and many others that desire to live here. Nonetheless, your post reveals a lot more than you originally intended it to.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can't sneer at us from your godless red-light utopia so long as you're using Al Gore's internet!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
You can't sneer at us from your godless red-light utopia so long as you're using Al Gore's internet!
So long as he passes the dutchie, he can do whatever the hell he wants.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I said that it's "considered" to be the greatest nation in the world, which is an opinion shared by, IMO, a large majority of this country - and many others that desire to live here. Nonetheless, your post reveals a lot more than you originally intended it to.
Please enlighten me.
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Al Gore is the greatest man alive! But what will he do without his Tipper?

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This 2-star thread was brought down to 1 star by "Hey Man". What a waste of a thread.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like Bill Maher less than Rush Limbaugh.
Originally Posted by Hey Man
Translation - I got nothing to argue this entire post. I am speaking from actual experience in living in many other countries (all over the UK, Canada, Australia, Greece, etc.) and I can sincerely tell you that no country is as hard core religion focused as the United States, which your own country describes as a Christian nation. Other countries don't have the dumb ***** that you have living in the south who worship Jesus - but hate blacks, gays and any kind of progressive thinking whatsoever, but marrying their cousin sounds like a good idea. They make Forrest Gump look like a candidate for mensa. Yes every country does have their religious kooks and the current Canadian prime minister is conservative, however - this doesn't negate the fact that Canada has many more freedoms than the United States has. Look if cocaine was ever going to become legal in the world, it would happen in Canada long before the United States. The laws on pot and prostitution are much more lax in Canada over the United States. We also don't have the censorship problems and religious groups that complain about Family Guy every ******* week. Have you ever tried watching Pulp Fiction on TBS? It's a completely different movie than I think Tarantino intended. In Canada, they show it UNCUT on local basic television - not cable. Stations in Canada will show The Sopranos uncut - not the hatchet job done on A&E. Same goes for movies - totally uncut on local TV, not like on NBC, CBS, ABC, AMC and so forth. How do you explain this - isn't America all about freedom of speech and against censorship? Obviously not. Canada is much more advanced in this capacity. I really got a laugh at this: A parents group is threatening CBS affiliates with challenges to their broadcast licenses if they air the network's new comedy with a title that alludes to an obscenity. The Parents Television Council, which monitors decency issues, criticized CBS for picking up a comedy series called "(Bleep) My Dad Says" that is based on a popular Twitter feed. Instead of the word, the CBS title uses a series of symbols. The group says it will challenge the broadcast license of any CBS affiliate that airs the series or promotions for it before 10 p.m. CBS has scheduled the comedy for Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. It stars William Shatner as the father whose politically incorrect musings are put out on Twitter by his son. Tim Winter, president of the Los Angeles-based organization, said he was aware that CBS was developing a series based on the Twitter sensation, but "we couldn't imagine that a network would actually name a program either with an expletive or with the expletive ostensibly bleeped out. "We're talking here not about a Twitter feed, we're talking about broadcast television that requires a license to use the airwaves," he said. Simply pathetic. Boy, America is pretty cutting edge when it comes to censorship when they have a groups complaining about $#*!

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Apparently many do. I dont. I find him mean spirited and his comedy mediocre. These are probably also the main reasons for his success.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please enlighten me.

I would never attack anyone for claiming that their nation was great, or considering to be the greatest (within reason). However, you put me in a position to do just that, because it's usually only Americans that are criticized for making this claim - for numerous reasons, and your post is evidence of that.

If you think the only Americans claiming that we live in a great nation are politicians during election time, then you're sadly mistaken. Perhaps this is an indication of the type of patriotism that you experience at home, but it is not what we experience here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads