• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone like Bill Maher?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
You are a ******* idiot. You have the maturity of a 17 year old kid.

The thing I keep coming back to is that he says he's forty-years-old. It's astounding.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
facepalm.gif

I didn't imply anything actually.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hey Man
Why am I an idiot - because I believe that the actual point or opinion is the most important thing - not how the person is selling the point/opinion? If I completely agree with a certain viewpoint, I don't give a **** how someone wants to convey that viewpoint, if I already agree with it in the first place.
There is this courtesy called civility; perhaps you have heard of it? Oui?

I must give credit where it is due ... I'm paraphrasing a friend ... "We have this little church here in Paris ... the Notre Dame; perhaps you have heard of it."

Hey Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
There is this courtesy called civility; perhaps you have heard of it?

I am sorry my personality and style is not to your liking.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am sorry my personality and style is not to your liking.
Well ... I'll probably agree with your underlying point 75+% of the time ... I just won't like the way you say it.

But not to worry ... just do as I do. Assume that 75+% of the other members don't like you.

BTW ... when I watch Maher ... I agree with almost all he has to say (to a degree) ... I just wouldn't put it the way he does. That is not to say I haven't resorted to Maher-like tactics -- especially here -- from time to time. It's a shortcoming with which I live. Maybe one day I'll get past it.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Well ... I'll probably agree with your underlying point 75+% of the time ... I just won't like the way you say it.

But not to worry ... just do as I do. Assume that 75+% of the other members don't like you.

BTW ... when I watch Maher ... I agree with almost all he has to say (to a degree) ... I just wouldn't put it the way he does. That is not to say I haven't resorted to Maher-like tactics -- especially here -- from time to time. It's a shortcoming with which I live. Maybe one day I'll get past it.

Well allow me to apologize on behalf of Bill Maher too.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well allow me to apologize on behalf of Bill Maher too.
I doubt you have that right ... and he owes me no apology.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A troll is someone who starts **** for the sake of starting **** with no real opinion. If Maher was to go on a religion or politics thread here and provide his possibly unpopular opinion - that's not trolling.

No, I express opinions just in the worst way possible
smile.gif

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why am I an idiot - because I believe that the actual point or opinion is the most important thing - not how the person is selling the point/opinion? If I completely agree with a certain viewpoint, I don't give a **** how someone wants to convey that viewpoint, if I already agree with it in the first place.

But even your points are horrible because they are completely unfounded, even if you weren't coming across as an egotistical douchebag your points would still be as shallow as they are. I think most people would be willing to turn a blind eye to assholish behaviours if the person had a substantiated, intellectual, unique opinion about something (hell you could even say Bill Maher is evidence of this), but alas in your case you have given us nothing substantiated (no evidence), intellectual (no real reasoning in play) or unique (we've heard it before, and you're basically just biting off Bill Maher), so there is no consolation to be had for your overall poor character.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who the **** cares how a side is presented if you agree with the point in the first place. Yes, some people may go over the top in explaining their view points, but first and foremost - I personally would come out and say that I agree with that person. If you would classify yourself as sarcastic - then you should have no problem with me and just agree if you do feel the same way.

OK, in that case I agree with you politically because Jesus and God just came into my office and told me I should.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
But even your points are horrible because they are completely unfounded, even if you weren't coming across as an egotistical douchebag your points would still be as shallow as they are. I think most people would be willing to turn a blind eye to assholish behaviours if the person had a substantiated, intellectual, unique opinion about something (hell you could even say Bill Maher is evidence of this), but alas in your case you have given us nothing substantiated (no evidence), intellectual (no real reasoning in play) or unique (we've heard it before, and you're basically just biting off Bill Maher), so there is no consolation to be had for your overall poor character.

And I am sure that I could go to a very liberal forum or a political forum full of athiests and have people agree with every single one of my points AND the way that I have conveyed them. It's really about the audience so to speak more than anything. That's why Maher has fans - because they agree with his opinon and the way he states it.

I have also found that Americans get very offended when anyone points out problems with the country compared to other countries. Republicans and conservatives are generally very religious - there is just no way getting around that, so to suggest that religion doesn't have major hold on American politics is just wrong.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by i10casual
No, don't like him and I'm a far left liberal.

Don't like the delivery of an opinion you already agree with?

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
This is where I blow holes in your "theory". The people that have a problem with Bill Maher are those that completely disagree with his view points even before he has stated them. He is not for conservatives who pretend it's still 1955 and who want to keep America away from any sort of get with the times forward movement like other countries have already done....10 years ago.

Politically Incorrect and Real Time are forms of ENTERTAINMENT - not news programs. So having said that, of course Maher needs to be "on" when providing his brand of entertainment for people that like him. But if you do see him on any news program or read any of his books, he is not as "on" as he is on his show and clearly shows that he knows what he is talking about even if you don't agree with his opinion.

I think the problem with you is that you don't get that his arrogance, smugness and his supposed rudeness is his schtick as an entertainer and comedian, which is what he calls himself. I mean he had a show called Politically Incorrect for **** sake - conveying that this show is going to have an opposing view to popular opinion. It's really no different any other comedian ranting about society and problems in the world - just that Maher is afforded a weekly TV show to do it.

You must want to kill Seth Macfarlane and Janeane Garofalo too.

just wanted to say that Yes, I do want to kill Seth Mcfarlane. The family guy is the ******* worst and so is he. None of his shows are funny. I hate him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads