• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
If they're unworn, please feel free to return them and I will pay for the shipping back too.

8.5EE (preferred), 9D, or 9E Barrie, 9E, or 9.5D Plaza.

Wow, now that is customer service!

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Wow, now that is customer service!

I'll be honest, our store policy is not to refund original shipping nor pay for shipping back. But, it saddens me to hear someone say they are disappointed with any of our shoes. My photography skills are to blame so it is my fault. I just want everyone to love the shoes they buy from us. Sounds corny and lame but it's the truth.
blush.gif

Seriously though, please return them back to us.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest, our store policy is not to refund original shipping nor pay for shipping back. But, it saddens me to hear someone say they are disappointed with any of our shoes. My photography skills are to blame so it is my fault. I just want everyone to love the shoes they buy from us. Sounds corny and lame but it's the truth.
blush.gif

I never bought anything from your store (yet), but I stopped by the Beverly Hills location a couple of days ago just to take a look see. What was suppose to be a quick visit turned into an Alden discussion with Bryan, haha. I will surely buy a pair of Alden from him, err or you I guess, in the near future.

The drive down there sucks though. Stupid tourists always causing traffic jam.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone has used Alden shoes or boots in 10 or 10.5 for under $300 you want to get rid of, contact me.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
The drive down there sucks though. Stupid tourists always causing traffic jam.

Where are you coming from again? From the Valley, I actually enjoy the drive to Rodeo Drive/BH but I take the hill (Beverly Glen from Ventura) so the drive is much more enjoyable with all the curves & twists and uphill & downhill driving, not much traffic in that route either. I just usually park at Barneys or NM and walk it then just get the parking validated.

I still need to visit the store though, hopefully sometime soon.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Where are you coming from again? From the Valley, I actually enjoy the drive to Rodeo Drive/BH but I take the hill (Beverly Glen from Ventura) so the drive is much more enjoyable with all the curves & twists and uphill & downhill driving, not much traffic in that route either. I just usually park at Barneys or NM and walk it then just get the parking validated.

I still need to visit the store though, hopefully sometime soon.

I just take the 5 all the way down to Los Feliz and do local from Thai Town to Korea Town and cruise down Hollywood or Santa Monica and hook a left turn on Rodeo. The drive is OK if you go in the morning, but if you're coming in the afternoon...forget about it.

It's so much more crowded than Melrose or Beverly.
frown.gif

And I usually park by David Yurman, it's free for 2 hours.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA is so weird. Everyone drives, but driving in LA is major pain **********.

Seriously kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on the last of LS SF shell shoes in #8 in 12D. Whoever bought those, if they don't work, PM me.

dport86

Reaction score
blush.gif

Tom: mighty big of you. I have to add my vote to the list of customers who really really hoped the chromexcels would have the tonality and the finish suggested by the photos (I bought tankers). I'm keeping mine because they are still great boots but it would be great if Horween could make up a chromexcel that was more dark brown with tan undertones (like the photos) rather than mid-brown with red undertones (the way my boots look in real-life). It would offer a pull-up leather in a more sophisticated color more appropriate to dressier shoes and boots. I worry as I wear mine in it'll end up looking like a beat-up indy--which I would have bought in the first place if I was looking for that.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
I just take the 5 all the way down to Los Feliz and do local from Thai Town to Korea Town and cruise down Hollywood or Santa Monica and hook a left turn on Rodeo. The drive is OK if you go in the morning, but if you're coming in the afternoon...forget about it.

I suggest giving the hill route a try, you would enjoy it. Yous till have the 335i right?

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dport86
Tom: mighty big of you. I have to add my vote to the list of customers who really really hoped the chromexcels would have the tonality and the finish suggested by the photos (I bought tankers).

I'm keeping mine because they are still great boots but it would be great if Horween could make up a chromexcel that was more dark brown with tan undertones (like the photos) rather than mid-brown with red undertones (the way my boots look in real-life). It would offer a pull-up leather in a more sophisticated color more appropriate to dressier shoes and boots. I worry as I wear mine in it'll end up looking like a beat-up indy--which I would have bought in the first place if I was looking for that.

having owned a few models in "brown" chromexcel myself, it is my opinion that there is nothing dressy about it. it is really just too thick, too wrinkley, and shows too many scuffs and marks to be useful as a dress shoe or boot. it does lend itself well to chunkier casual shoes and boots that look better when they are beat up a little. alden's brown chromexcel does run a little red, but that is not the reason that this leather isn't best used for dressier, more sophisticated make-ups in my opinion.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, chromexcel just isn't a dress leather. That being said, the chromexcel on my White's boots looks much more like the LS pictures with a medium brown w/ tan undertones instead of the darker and more red tones you get with the Alden boots like my Roys. So it does exist from Horween, just not what Alden uses. Love both though and am just a fan of chromexcel in general.

mechanical pencil

Reaction score
Actually, yes. Are you really interested?

Seriously, me too! (9E Barrie)

The selection of E width Aldens is pretty limited out in the wild. I'm surprised you
2 wide footed retailers don't stock limited runs for your kind!
smile.gif

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dport86
Tom: mighty big of you. I have to add my vote to the list of customers who really really hoped the chromexcels would have the tonality and the finish suggested by the photos (I bought tankers).

I'm keeping mine because they are still great boots but it would be great if Horween could make up a chromexcel that was more dark brown with tan undertones (like the photos) rather than mid-brown with red undertones (the way my boots look in real-life). It would offer a pull-up leather in a more sophisticated color more appropriate to dressier shoes and boots. I worry as I wear mine in it'll end up looking like a beat-up indy--which I would have bought in the first place if I was looking for that.

OK, I have a pair of the Ultimate Indy and I guess I just love the color. I have used paste wax on them but I have been careful because I do not want to mess up the contrast stitching.

If you want your boots darker try a mid-dark brown shoe cream. Shoe cream has leather dye in it and it will darken the leather. (I may have used some on mine?)

If you are scared of that just try a dark brown paste wax and see how that comes out. It is easier to make the leather darker than lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics