• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's true! You get treated better when you're suited up

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JensenH
Did you wear a wedding band the second time?
laugh.gif

You mean the first time, right?

lovelux2010

Reaction score
"If you want to be treated like a million bucks, put on your ******* suit and tie when dining out. If, on the other hand, you want to be treated like a schmuck, then wear your ****-stained (*insert name of favourite sports team*) jersey and baseball cap worn backwards"

most of the richest people i know in london love to wear casual clothes on the weekend..
i'd hazzard a guess that the majority of peopel out at restaurants in a suit on the weekend make less than $100k per year..
they're just "posing" and trying to look like they're millionaires..pretty sad.

as far as tips..
i wont leave more than 15% if the service is amazing..
if service is average 5%
if service is as bad as your described i would not leave a tip

anyways i coud'nt disagree with your post more

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelux2010

most of the richest people i know in london

Please Please let us know who these are !!!
worship.gif
worship.gif

facepalm.gif

chrisb0109

Reaction score

as far as tips..
if service is average 5%

The country the OP is in makes a big difference here. It seems tipping in Europe is much different than the US.

I would almost never leave less than 15%. Thats my base for acceptably average service.

I however have had English and French roommates who wouldn't leave a tip at all unless the service was exceptional. There is a fundamental difference between American and European tipping customs.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow....you eat out with gift cards often???

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
What I find really gets good service is if you wear your nice suit, then go out, under the table unzip your fly and pull out your testicles (leave teh kawk inside - just the nuggets come out). Then, when the waitress comes, ask her for a napkin because you spilled something on your lap, and show her the berries. They love that.

This is how my father taught me to get girls growing up. It is a win, win. They either love it, or their reaction makes it funny.

But in all seriousness, I had a similar conversation with a couple of girls not too long ago. They pretty much agreed that if you are just really good looking it makes no difference what you wear, or what you say. Kind of like when you see those models walking around frumpy in NYC. They are still beautiful. This pretty much goes the same way with what women call, "creepy" guys. Most guys labeled as creepy are just unattractive guys who try and flirt. If a really good looking guy were to approach the same way and say the same things he wouldn't be labeled as creepy at all. Looks go a long way.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
Please Please let us know who these are !!!
worship.gif
worship.gif

facepalm.gif

suppose "rich" is a relative term..
i class "rich" as making £500k/year plus..
everyone has their definition.

the point i was trying to make - you cannot judge someones wealth or class or backgtround based on their clothes. some poor people wear $10k in clothes regularly ...some "rich" wear an old pair of jeans and a t-shirt..

its a ridiculous post to begin with and in an ideal world wouldbe deleted promplty with the poster banned permamently from al gores internet

bbhewee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
The country the OP is in makes a big difference here. It seems tipping in Europe is much different than the US.

I would almost never leave less than 15%. Thats my base for acceptably average service.

I however have had English and French roommates who wouldn't leave a tip at all unless the service was exceptional. There is a fundamental difference between American and European tipping customs.

French: not surprized. Custom is to leave 1 euro or 2, 5 at most. I've left 10/20 euros for some good meals, and people are rather surprised when I do. I've found this applies to a lot of places in Continental Europe, but only because "15% service is already included in the price" as stated at the bottom of most menus.

English: the standard tip in the UK (or London at least) is 12.5% of the bill. This is usually shown at the bottom of your bill. Quite odd that they wouldn't leave a tip.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
"She wasn't friendly with me (but she wasn't rude, either); she just asked "What would you like?", took my order, plopped my food in front of me, walked off; plopped my drink in front of me without so much as a word being said and walked off. Never once did she come back to check on me and inquire how I was enjoying my meal (she did this the first time I was here several months earlier but she didn't this time.)"

she did'nt even ask how everything was? i woudl not tip anything..regardless of the country i'm in, unless it was a business lunch and i needed to keep up appearences with clients

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
"If you want to be treated like a million bucks, put on your ******* suit and tie when dining out. If, on the other hand, you want to be treated like a schmuck, then wear your ****-stained (*insert name of favourite sports team*) jersey and baseball cap worn backwards"

most of the richest people i know in london love to wear casual clothes on the weekend..
i'd hazzard a guess that the majority of peopel out at restaurants in a suit on the weekend make less than $100k per year..
they're just "posing" and trying to look like they're millionaires..pretty sad.

as far as tips..
if service is average 5%

You really are a dumb ****.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads