• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Desert Boots

themselves

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ~whip~
For the Autumn~Winter season which material do you think best for the DBs:

Suede or the beeswax?

they're cheap, why not get both?

~whip~

Reaction score
Originally Posted by themselves
they're cheap, why not get both?

Good point. But for practicality reasons (travel) I may be only able to get one. So, which one: Suede or beeswax?

Or are they both decent materials for Autumn ~ Winter? I imagine Suede to be ok for Autumn, I'm just not sure about Winter...
eh.gif

hobojones

Reaction score
Well I mean it depends. Are you in an area where it snows? Because if you were, the snow will obviously not be a good match with the suede. If you aren't, then I'd say go with the suede.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ~whip~
Good point. But for practicality reasons (travel) I may be only able to get one. So, which one: Suede or beeswax?

Or are they both decent materials for Autumn ~ Winter? I imagine Suede to be ok for Autumn, I'm just not sure about Winter...
eh.gif

I would avoid wearing desert boots in winter unless you live in a warm to mild climate.

The leather/suede is rather thin. There are only two eyelets which makes it easy for snow or water to get in at the ankles. And crepe soles do not work well on ice or snow.

elizabethtusaad

Reaction score
The Clarks Desert Boot had a simple modern style with plantation rubber crepe soles and just two eyelets for laces. Desert boots became mainstream fashion wear in the 60s and 70s.

GQ1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by was385
http://www.shoebuy.com/clarks-desert...-_-none-_-none

15% off and free shipping today. Also, I'm thinking about getting these and I don't know sizing. I'm a 13 in Nike's and generally around a 12 in most dress shoes. What do you guys think would be the right size? Thanks for your help

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, not all sizes and not all colors are available. I tried these on recently and they run big. I normally wear a US size 9 in all shoes and a size 8 in these fit me nicely so a size down is recommended however you should try one out in person.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobojones
Well I mean it depends. Are you in an area where it snows? Because if you were, the snow will obviously not be a good match with the suede. If you aren't, then I'd say go with the suede.
Either way, these boots aren't really meant to be worn in the rain/snow. They are fairly thin and once I wore a pair in a drizzle and my feet were wet. The crepe sole also provide little traction on wet surface.

sidewinder13

Reaction score
Do Clarks make these desert boots in navy suede? I have been looking online and couldn't find any.

Abstraktmind

Reaction score
Could Desert boots survive in the fall though as far as keeping warm? I want to know before I'm buying boots I have to save until spring/summer.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abstraktmind
Could Desert boots survive in the fall though as far as keeping warm? I want to know before I'm buying boots I have to save until spring/summer.
There's a reason why they're called desert boots, the material is pretty thin. It's fine for me in the Southern California winter where the weather rarely goes under ~55 degrees. But if you're located where you actually have a real winter, it will be a different story.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abstraktmind

I mean, wear a pair of thick wool socks and you'll be fine. Where the hell are you that your Fall (Sept-Dec) is frigid? Are your toes that delicate?

Harrington

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt
I mean, wear a pair of thick wool socks and you'll be fine. Where the hell are you that your Fall (Sept-Dec) is frigid? Are your toes that delicate?

Thick wool socks in Desert Boots?
confused.gif
Why not just buy boots that actually match the weather?

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harrington
Thick wool socks in Desert Boots?
confused.gif
Why not just buy boots that actually match the weather?

I feel like the aesthetic of DBs (esp the beeswax and darker suedes) match fall-wear pretty well. Getting them wet is an issue, true. But warmth is pretty easily addressed I think.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt
A problem to consider is that the shoes will be too small then. If you buy your shoes true to size to fit with casual/loafer socks, a thicker pair of socks will make the shoes fit smaller.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads