• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by invidious_espresso
Clarks. They're proven, way cheaper, and have better styling IMO.

Thanks. I think I'm going this route.

Originally Posted by Timmbo
Need a pair of warm shoes/boots to withstand Edinburgh weather: rain/snow/very strong wind and below freezing temperatures. Will also be walking several miles per day. So far looked at Red Wings GTs/Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots/Alden Indys/LL Bean Katahdin Engineer Boots. Would like them to be versatile too, so that they can be worn with a Harris tweed jacket, but not look out of place paired with jeans + tee.

What would be the best choice?

Based on what you plan on wearing with your boots, I would say either the Wolverine 1K Mile Boots or the Alden Indys. They're more expensive, but they'll last you forever and they're plain and sleek enough to be worn while dressed up.

Timmbo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Based on what you plan on wearing with your boots, I would say either the Wolverine 1K Mile Boots or the Alden Indys. They're more expensive, but they'll last you forever and they're plain and sleek enough to be worn while dressed up.

Are you sure about this? I do love the look of the Wolverines, and I do actually prefer them to the GTs/Indys. However, will the leather sole really provide enough grip, and will it be tough enough, to withstand the rain, snow and ice that I will be walking through daily?

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
Looking for a pair of military boots that looks nice tucked that won't break the bank. Been looking at RW Ironrangers and LLbean Katahdins, but they seem too short to tuck nicely.

darkbat

Reaction score
Looking for a pair of good quality pants for work. Dockers? Anything better?

AsianChump

Reaction score
So I've been doing my clothes shopping for awhile now, been awhile since I made my very first thread on styleforums. Since then, I've been doing a lot of adding to my overall wardrobe.

I have two pairs of Levis 514s slim fit jeans (might get a third pair since one of the current ones have a hole in them), but I have been looking into khakis and chinos lately.

What are the differences between khakis and chinos? I don't usually have too many "formal" occasions, so are any of those two good for casual wear? What is the "top" or popular brand (like jeans with Levis and APC)? I randomly picked up a pair of khakis to try on and was very surprised how big they were. Are there any slim fit versions of khakis/chinos?

Would a pair of black oxfords be too formal to wear casually? I currently wear a pair of black Vans, along with blue Vans for whatever occasions. I'm really shooting for casual shoes that can also be utilized formally. If not possible, then just casual, but classy.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
Looking for a pair of military boots that looks nice tucked that won't break the bank. Been looking at RW Ironrangers and LLbean Katahdins, but they seem too short to tuck nicely.

AllSaints, but try before you buy. Some of their boots are really nice, some are complete ****. If you only want to do the look once in a while, they're probably the cheapest way to do it.

Originally Posted by darkbat
Looking for a pair of good quality pants for work. Dockers? Anything better?

What kind of work? If you're in the service industry, *******, wear dockers (they did a line for UO that looks pretty good). Avoid them otherwise. Maybe Incotex for chinos, or buy some slim-fit wool trousers or something.

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
AllSaints, but try before you buy. Some of their boots are really nice, some are complete ****. If you only want to do the look once in a while, they're probably the cheapest way to do it.

What kind of work? If you're in the service industry, *******, wear dockers (they did a line for UO that looks pretty good). Avoid them otherwise. Maybe Incotex for chinos, or buy some slim-fit wool trousers or something.

http://www.us.allsaints.com/product/...=0885324184953

Like these I suppose? I've heard negative things about AllSaint's quality, but are they worth it?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
http://www.us.allsaints.com/product/...=0885324184953

Like these I suppose? I've heard negative things about AllSaint's quality, but are they worth it?

Try before you buy, some of it is good and some of it is cheap. None of it is Alden or anything, but you can find good stuff there without dropping huge bundles of cash on actual designer stuff.

You could also try military surplus.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
I am getting married in a few months in a black suit, but not a tux. I have some black Florsheim wingtips (Something like a Kenmoor I got at a thrift store) of the more casual shape that I was thinking might be a little too casual.

Is there a shoe that would be more formal and possibly even acceptable to wear with a tux if the need arises in the $100 price range? What brands should I look at? I have thought about Florsheim Lexington captoe, would that work?

bond928

Reaction score
Hi,

Rec's for a slim, white (or light cream colored) casual sneaker that can be worn with light suits/dark jeans.
--Less logos/markings the better
--Around/under $80-150.

Thoughts:
I like Common Projects but no $$$
Some of the Creative Recs are okay.
No clunky sneakers (like dunks, AF1s).
A few Aldo / Zara shoes fit the bill but long term qual/construction looks bleh.
Already have beaten up chucks.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87
I am getting married in a few months in a black suit, but not a tux. I have some black Florsheim wingtips (Something like a Kenmoor I got at a thrift store) of the more casual shape that I was thinking might be a little too casual. Is there a shoe that would be more formal and possibly even acceptable to wear with a tux if the need arises in the $100 price range? What brands should I look at? I have thought about Florsheim Lexington captoe, would that work?
you'll get better responses in the 'Mens Clothing' section than here with that question.
Originally Posted by bond928
Hi, Rec's for a slim, white (or light cream colored) casual sneaker that can be worn with light suits/dark jeans. --Less logos/markings the better --Around/under $80-150. Thoughts: I like Common Projects but no $$$ Some of the Creative Recs are okay. No clunky sneakers (like dunks, AF1s). A few Aldo / Zara shoes fit the bill but long term qual/construction looks bleh. Already have beaten up chucks. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.
have a browse through the non-baller sneaker thread (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=182388) and see if anything catches your eye. i'm not big on white sneakers myself, but the big thing now seems to be german army trainers, which can be had anywhere from $50 to $100 (the original ones, anyway), probably even less if you can speak/read german. though they may be too 'athletic' looking to be paired with a light summery suit.

bond928

Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
you'll get better responses in the 'Mens Clothing' section than here with that question.

have a browse through the non-baller sneaker thread (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=182388) and see if anything catches your eye.

i'm not big on white sneakers myself, but the big thing now seems to be german army trainers, which can be had anywhere from $50 to $100 (the original ones, anyway), probably even less if you can speak/read german. though they may be too 'athletic' looking to be paired with a light summery suit.

thank you, exactly what i was looking for

LogicalDresser

Reaction score
I've been having a problem with the fit of my t-shirts and undershirts--specifically the neckline. They curve or sag downward, making my shoulders look narrow and my neck look too long. (This is the exact reason I can't wear v-neck.) Anyone else have this experience? I know enough to buy the correct size, lay them flat instead of hanging them up when they're damp so as not to stretch the neck out, etc. It seems the problem is the design of the shirt. Does anyone know of a brand that makes a more straight across looking neckline?

chris3

Reaction score
I'm looking for some nice brown leather shoes (not boots) to wear with selvedge denim and a shirt for nights out. I'm having real difficulty finding the right shoe (i'm really picky) , I was looking at some paul smith shoes but I think they may be too dressy. would like to limit it to about 200-250 usd. I've trawled through the shoes and boot thread but can't find anything I like in my price range. anyone have any suggestions.

farraj18

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bond928
Hi,

Rec's for a slim, white (or light cream colored) casual sneaker that can be worn with light suits/dark jeans.
--Less logos/markings the better
--Around/under $80-150.

Thoughts:
I like Common Projects but no $$$
Some of the Creative Recs are okay.
No clunky sneakers (like dunks, AF1s).
A few Aldo / Zara shoes fit the bill but long term qual/construction looks bleh.
Already have beaten up chucks.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

Clae Diegos are a pretty good bet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads