• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who likes cigarillos?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've had them before, and bought my own pack of Davidoffs today. They are an excellent proxy for a cigar when you don't have the time, need to be moving, or want something light, and don't like cigarettes. I'm curious as to why they aren't more popular. I almost never see anyone smoking one.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like cigarillos but wouldn't seriously consider buying a pack of them.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I like cigarillos but wouldn't seriously consider buying a pack of them.
Is it really such an expensive purchase as to require serious consideration if you like them? I got a pack of ten in Manhattan for $10.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I smoked them when I was 16... they just seem a little silly for adults.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Is it really such an expensive purchase as to require serious consideration if you like them? I got a pack of ten in Manhattan for $10.

Who said anything about cost? I don't see them at most places I buy cigarettes so it doesn't occur to me buy them. I also like inhaling and the cuban cigarillo I tried once was not any fun inhaling.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StockwellDay
I smoked them when I was 16... they just seem a little silly for adults.

+1, except I was 18, and we thought we were cool.

fffffut

Reaction score
i always thought you were just supposed to use cigarillos for blunt wraps

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the OPs height correlates with the fact that he promotes tobaccos of demi tasse size and smaller.

andyl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fffffut
i always thought you were just supposed to use cigarillos for blunt wraps

laugh.gif

I've only seen unruly characters smoke cigarillos...

yodawg

Reaction score
i smoke tequila flavored ones from time to time. obviously i'm not much of a smoker to take it seriously.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They lack the flavour and complexity of a full cigar, thus the interest.

EDIT: missed this gem

Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
I think the OPs height correlates with the fact that he promotes tobaccos of demi tasse size and smaller.
laugh.gif
I guess when a corona looks like a horse cock, it becomes slightly less appealing.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what these are, but apparently the name sounds of spanish origin. I remember the "cool kids" in high school asking each other if they had an extra "yose" they could smoke, but they were just referring to regular cigarettes. So cigarettes were called "yose" back in the day.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
They lack the flavour and complexity of a full cigar . . .

Oh, no doubt. I like a proper cigar, but as I said: sometimes, time and place dictate something that can be smoked casually like a cigarette. It is a much more casual smoke. I like to sit down with a strong cigar and have a drink with it--or at least a fully stomach beforehand. Also, if you've only got a few minutes, a cigar is not an option.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Oh, no doubt. I like a proper cigar, but as I said: sometimes, time and place dictate something that can be smoked casually like a cigarette. It is a much more casual smoke. I like to sit down with a strong cigar and have a drink with it--or at least a fully stomach beforehand. Also, if you've only got a few minutes, a cigar is not an option.

Oh mafoo, can't you even go five minutes without sticking something into your dainty mouth and taking a good suck or two?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll be more serious for a moment and make a few analogies.

To me, the interest of a cigar is neither ritualistic nor based on my enjoyment of the activity of smoking. In my mind, that is a bit like saying that the interest of a good meal is based on sitting around a table and moving your jaw up and down. What remains, therefore, are the virtues of the thing being consumed. If the food is delicious, I will enjoy it. If the cigar is flavourful and has other positive attributes, I will enjoy it as well.

These attributes boil down to a few things, notably quality of smoke (texture, creaminess, etc.), flavour and complexity. In order, then:

1. Small-gauge cigars (i.e. panatella-size and smaller) are incapable of producing a volume of smoke I consider acceptable or enjoyable. It feels thin in the mouth and is not, in my experience, particularly unctuous.

2. Small-gauge cigars contain no ligero, which is the top leaf of the tobacco plant and the most flavourful. This is generally where the cigar gets its richness and what people are tasting when they talk about coffee/chocolate/nutty/peppery/earthy notes.

3. Short cigars, such as cigarillos, do not contain whole tobacco leaves. Thus, there is no evolution of flavour from the beginning to the end. This doesn't provide for a very interesting experience, just a linear one.

So when you smoke a cigarillo, all you're smoking is a cigar that tastes like... cigar smoke. To me, that's like drinking a red wine that tastes like... red wine, otherwise known as plonk and which is only good for making boeuf bourguignon, not for serving at dinner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads