• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How slim fit can my swim trunks be before it starts to look gay?

XeF4

Reaction score
I have been eyeing a pair of parke and ronen for a while, but I am not sure what they will look like since all I have ever worn has been board shorts. I would probably get the 8" pair. Does anybody own these who can give me some advice? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
get it as slim and narrow as you want with what youre comfortable with and not feeling self conscious. for me, i dont care what people say or think. if i can wear some brazilian briefs to the local pool i will. i better develop my bod for it. hey. sure.
turn heads? create giggles? people actin sf mc on me like who the hell is he? sure. great.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on how fat you are, really.

Parke&Ronen makes some baller stuff. 8" is a bit too much, I'd go 6" personally.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Parke and Ronen 4" looks fine.

I don't think they look fem at all or give off any clue of what sex you are attracted to.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
get it as slim and narrow as you want with what youre comfortable with and not feeling self conscious. for me, i dont care what people say or think. if i can wear some brazilian briefs to the local pool i will. i better develop my bod for it. hey. sure.
turn heads? create giggles? people actin sf mc on me like who the hell is he? sure. great.

+1

I have a couple pairs of 4" inseam swim trunks and they're really not that short. IMO, shorter inseam swim trunks are more flattering than the yard long board shorts that you see most tools wearing.

If you're really concerned about the length, take an old pair of shorts and pin the length to an approximate inseam so you can get an idea of how they'd look on you.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like mentioned, just go with whatever you're comfortable with. The shorter it is, the more attention you will get...especially from the guys who think that anything above the knee caps is considered gay.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I swim every other day in the gym pool. For real swimming, you don't want a board shorts. Since I'm not into speedos, I've found that UDT/SEAL style swim shorts fit well an are good to swim in. They also look good for what they are - a swim short. I might feel self conscious wearing them at a cafe near the beach or something.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG
Depends on how fat you are, really.

Parke&Ronen makes some baller stuff. 8" is a bit too much, I'd go 6" personally.

how fat you are affects how good you look in the trunks, not how 'gay' it looks

I've got the Parke&Ronen 6" and they're pretty awesome. Also, 6" shorts aren't really that short for me at 5'8 and they're slim without being tight.

Really, you can wear pretty much anything as long as you have the confidence to pull it off and you're a likeable person.
- One exception - Man thong. Its just always wrong...

darkbat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
I swim every other day in the gym pool. For real swimming, you don't want a board shorts. Since I'm not into speedos, I've found that UDT/SEAL style swim shorts fit well an are good to swim in. They also look good for what they are - a swim short. I might feel self conscious wearing them at a cafe near the beach or something.
Care to post a link of your swim trunks?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's too late; thinking too hard over swim trunks automatically makes one gay. Sorry.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW

I've been thinking about picking up a pair of the UDT swim shorts since they can be had for fairly cheap. How long would you say the inseam is on yours?

And yeah, I probably wouldn't wear those at a cafe or anything, just for swimming and hanging out by the pool/beach.

Have you checked out any of the shorter P&R trunks (like the Snap) or the Orlebar Brown trunks?

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XeF4
Sent from my iPad.

What the **** is this ****?

That is only added automatically if you send an email, meaning OP typed that in.

So excited for your iPad bro, srsly.

-Sent from my MacBook Pro

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think you already look gay for owning an ipad.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkbat
Care to post a link of your swim trunks?

I have a pair in black and one in khaki

1666_big.jpg

Originally Posted by Aaron01
I've been thinking about picking up a pair of the UDT swim shorts since they can be had for fairly cheap. How long would you say the inseam is on yours?

They are very practical. The Tru-Spec brand seems to be the best quality at a low price. The inseam is short - maybe 2 inches? If in doubt on the waist (even sized only), size-up as they are fairly slim, even though they are a mid-rise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads