• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

canon s90, best p&s?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GF1 is about to become outdated.

NEX may actually be perfect for what ed is looking for, for the reasons TRINI stated. I'd really only recommend it over DSLR if the smaller size is a requirement, though.

I'm probably going to hop on the m4/3 bandwagon when the updates to the GF1 and the EP series come out (next GF model is expected to be announced in a week or so, and for sure at Photokina in Sept.) But I want the manual controls and that pancake lens. NEX has a better sensor.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
What's the point of the 4/3rds if you have to end up getting lenses? Sounds just like an SLR.
SLR-sized sensor, smaller body.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
SLR-sized sensor, smaller body.
But they're essentially the same price. Just to save 6oz? Aren't the SLR's supposed to be better all around anyways?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But they're essentially the same price. Just to save 6oz? Aren't the SLR's supposed to be better all around anyways?
Significant difference in size:
4881557870_30bd383be7.jpg
SLRs are better (depending on the model) but obviously bigger.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I thought that they were bigger for some reason. I suppose I see the advantage then. If you're going to haul all that **** around anyways, why not opt for the best camera?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to haul all that **** around anyways, why not opt for the best camera?

I'm not sure if I get your question.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I'm not sure if I get your question.
Most SLR people I know have more than one lens and subsequently carry all their **** in a bag wherever they go. So if you're going to bag up with lenses and batteries and ****, why not just get the best camera? What's the few ounces mean at that point?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most SLR people I know have more than one lens and subsequently carry all their **** in a bag wherever they go. So if you're going to bag up with lenses and batteries and ****, why not just get the best camera? What's the few ounces mean at that point?

Because with the smaller cameras, you don't NEED to bag up w/ lenses, batteries, etc.

That's the point.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not trying to troll you here, I just don't really see it. Most, if not everyone I know carries around their SLR with more than one lens and carries it in some sort of bag/purse. So, even with a smaller body, the addition of the extra accessories would necessitate a carrying device of some sort wouldn't it?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a lot of ways I agree with Rambo's thoughts. The larger m4/3 cameras (GH1, G1, etc.) and lenses don't make much sense to me.

My interest is in the GF-1/E-Px/E-PL1 size cameras and the 20mm pancake. This combo is substantially smaller than any SLR, and provides near SLR quality photos - far better than any P&S, especially in low light situations. And I don't mind throwing it in my bag when I go to work for random city shots throughout the day, whereas there's no way I'm lugging my SLR around every day.

I'll never buy the 45-200, or the macro. For long range action stuff, SLRs are going to be superior, especially in AF speed, and the size of the lens negates much of the m4/3 advantage. For macro, my Canon EF-S 60mm is a hell of a lot cheaper than the ~$900 m4/3 offering.

The only other lens I have an interest in (which I actually own already, since I got a good deal on it) is the 7-14. Debated getting a wide angle for the SLR, but thought the 20mm pancake and the 7-14 would be a good vacation package, and since most UWA shots have a lot of DoF, didn't see much advantage to an SLR lens.

Anyway, that's my reasoning.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carrying an E-PL1 or similar is as much a hassle to me as carrying my D700/50G - either one is going to be on a strap or in its own bag as I don't carry a manpurse on a regular basis.

aizan

Reaction score
a m4/3 or aps-c compact kit is smaller and lighter than an aps-c dslr kit, to say nothing of full frame, and will fit in a smaller camera bag.

the best thing about these cameras, especially when fitted with a pancake lens, is that you can carry them around everywhere and people won't bat an eyelash.

this kind of camera doesn't replace an slr in your camera kit, but rather complements it. which one gets the most use depends on your needs.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Carrying an E-PL1 or similar is as much a hassle to me as carrying my D700/50G - either one is going to be on a strap or in its own bag as I don't carry a manpurse on a regular basis.

How do you like your D700? I think that's going to be my next camera....whenever next $2500 appears in my lap, that is.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would love to own a micro 4/3 camera for the reasons stated above (probably not a normal 4/3...those are getting too big). With a fixed lens it might not fit in my pants pocket but it will easily fit in my jacket pocket (fall is coming) and in the leather bag I carry every day to work.

My SLR would do neither of these things even with a nifty-50 (which I don't own...my shortest lens is several inches long at the shortest zoom)...hell I wouldn't even want to carry my SLR body in the jacket pocket or bag (maybe if it was a Rebel or D40 body...but those aren't that much smaller).

Of course, the micro 4/3 is slightly less interesting when you see the photos that come out of a canon G10 or even this little s90 the thread is about (lens isn't as big but its got the same sensor). For less money and smaller size, I could still capture some awesome pictures.

Also, saw on slickdeals just now that dell has the S90 for $299...might have to look it up on slickdeals to see if that requires you to enter a coupon code or something. I would think about it but now I want to wait for S95 reviews...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads