• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silk Kimono Robe

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We were in Seattle last week and my major purchase was a gorgeous, all silk kimono robe.
Attachment 48905

Attachment 48906

Attachment 48907

Colors are a bit more subtle. When I got it to the hotel I noticed two long slits toward the front, with the two pieces of fabric connected by a mere thread. I wasn't sure if the design was for the slits to be closed with the stitch (but then it would seem the single stitches would come out awfully easily) or if the stitches were just to hold the robe in place before sold, sort of like is done with sportcoat pockets that are (temporarily) sewed in. I called the place and was told the latter - that they usually removed these stitches before selling.
Does anyknown know if slits are common in such robes (or, "dressing gowns")? Anyway, it's an object of true beauty and a most worthy replacement for the vintage silk robe I bought in Baltimore whose downfall I had written about a few months ago.
The lady at the Little Saigon shop, deep in Pike Place Market, made a big point of saying how low the price was for such a silk robe. I've tried comparing on the 'net but it's difficult - many silk robes or kimonas are early bidding auction prices, etc. Does anyone have an idea what such a robe might go for in a very good store, such as perhaps in London? It's made in China but exactly the type of article I'm happy to get from that nation - not most of the rest of the stuff they now produce. It has a silk lining but the whole thing is fairly lightweight - I got it as a summer robe.
bigstar[1].gif

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stocking up for the next SF meetup?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shop was mostly women's clothes but the lady assured me this is a man's robe. It was in a men's section.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont

When I got it to the hotel I noticed two long slits in the front, with the two pieces of fabric connected by a mere thread. I wasn't sure if the design was for the slits to be closed with the stitch (but then it would seem the single stitches would come out awfully easily) or if the stitches were just to hold the robe in place before sold, sort of like is done with sportcoat pockets that are (temporarily) sewed in. I called the place and was told the latter - that they usually removed these stitches before selling.
Does anyknown know if slits are common in such robes Or, "dressing gowns")?

I think it's there to allow for a reach-around when you are down on all fours being ravaged from behind.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
This forum is SO SO SO deliciously gay sometimes.

soxpats

Reaction score
Hmmm, I started to ask about this robe as I thought my wife would like it but then reading on I realized this was purchased as a men's item? Really?

TheChefs

Reaction score
Is it cut like a western robe or Japanese yukata? Short (mid forearm) and wide sleeves. Also from what I recall yukatas had the split down the sides you are talking about. But it's been 6 months since I wore one last time, so my memory is bit hazy.

Also some yukatas have very elaborate designs.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't familiar with yukatas but looking on the web I'm seeing they're a type of kimono and typically cotton and for warmer weather. Actually they look in most of the web photos like all the kimonos in general, and they too are worn by men and women. My robe is fairly long. If you mean by "western" fairly close fit, no - it's got the generous fit I'd associate with any kimono dressing gown. In fact, like my American silk robe from that defunct DC shop, it's slippery and doesn't stay too closed no matter how I try to tie the belt.
teacha.gif

Attached is a photo on flickr whereby the garment is referred to as a yukata.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
I think it's there to allow for a reach-around when you are down on all fours being ravaged from behind.

Originally Posted by ralphandricky1967
Seriously, some of you guys on this forum are whiny little bitches. Do you have anything better to do other than monitor what people post, offer criticism that isn't constructive, report reposts to the mods, and critique things that you don't know jack **** about.

If this post gets your little pink panties all bunched up, perhaps it's time to change your tampon. Without providing a list of names, most of you probably know exactly who I am talking about...

Here, here! Now can someone respond on topic, please? Can anyone respond to the questions of my initial post?

MikeO

Reaction score
Red: Why don't you follow his lead and just chill out, man?
Dale: I'm chill. I'm chill as a cucumber, man.
Red: You don't seem chill.
Dale: I'm more chill than you.
Red: You're more chill than me?
Dale: Yeah.
Red: Look what I'm wearing. Kimono, dog. What're you wearing?
Dale: A suit.
Red: Yeah, exactly. I don't know what's up with you, but I don't know if I like you.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.... "Pineapple Express" (2008)

Now, how about a response to my first post? Thanks in advance.
eh.gif

Kamapuaa

Reaction score
Not much to say. You wouldn't wear it out on the street or as a smoking jacket, so really it's about as "Men's Style" as what pair of underwear you're wearing.

I think it looks fine, but it isn't anything that would be worn in China or Japan or Vietnam. These are made for tourists to Chinatowns or Asian-y places. A very good store would not carry anything like it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads