• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the most versatile A2 leather jacket contract repro?

nurktwin

Reaction score
What's the most versatile A2 leather jacket contract reproduction?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nurktwin
What's the most versatile A2 leather jacket contract reproduction?

I have an Avirex which has been coming out for over 20 years so I'm sure that would qualify it as versatile.

PRL Style

Reaction score
Check out a Ralph Lauren A-2...prices can range from anywhere between $995.00 to $1295.00

Trotsky1940

Reaction score
Goodwear; priced the same or cheaper than RL and infinitely better quality.

Also, Aero, another excellent maker.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eastman Leather is also very good.

nurktwin

Reaction score
Eastman vs Good Wear? Which one is better? And is there a specific contract model number reproduction by Eastman or Good Wear that is the most versatile and best fitting of the A2 reissue models?

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cockpit makes some nice very jackets. Some not so nice so choose wisely....

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously, I know what versatile means, but what do you mean by a versatile A-2? Versatile in what way?

nurktwin

Reaction score
color, hue. a lot of the reissue contracts have different color leather and knits. i'm really looking for the best quality maker, plus the most versatile reissue contract number in terms what it can be worn with.-- jeans and chinos

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and visit Acme Depot and decide whether you want a modern or vintage style A-2. They are really two different styles of jacket.

With the vintage version you'll need to remember that they are made to mid-forties style of wear, which means high-waisted and a closer fit. Aero is especially strict in this regard, plus they of course size English.

The Cockpit's quality has become more consistent with their acquisition of Avirex.

Another quality maker is Gibson and Barnes/Flightsuits Inc. Like Cockpit most of their stuff is chemical tanned so the leather has an automotive feel.

Once you go Good Wear you won't want anything else, though...

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as wardrobe versatility goes, I'd say go with seal brown as it will go with more, especially shoes. A well made russet will alway be the focus of the outfit, but then that's the point of wearing a correct A2.

mfs

Reaction score
Why a repro? Why not the real thing, made in the USA, from Flightsuits?

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most versatile? one that fits right! go with good wear if you're up for the splurge. if you want a great cheaper alternative that's on par with Eastman (IMO) but about 30% less, get yerself a Bill Kelso. they are now offering more contracts than they show on their website (e.g. Rough Wear, Dubow, and Monarch).

On the other hand, fit can be hella tricky with A2s cause they were originally cut for rail thin dudes about 5"7", 120lbs, with pants hiked up just below their naval (or higher!!). If the A2 is true to original it's gonna feel pretty short. Accordingly, you may actually be better off going with a maker that doesn't give a crap about NOS triple mark Talon zippers, or stitch pattern on the epaulets and save yourself some serious dough.

Last edited:

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I own a Good Wear jacket - not the A-2 - and it's absolutely fantastic in every way, from stitching to lining to the actual FQHH leather. Mr. Chapman is a pleasure to work with, and knowing that he sources the leathers (and the linings, and the zippers, and the buttons, etc. etc.) and puts together the jackets himself in the US is the kicker for me. Can't go wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads