• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

canon s90, best p&s?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Talk to PG...he has one.

I played with one at B&H and the picture quality looked good.

It's still significantly bigger than the Canon though so I wouldn't consider it a substitute.

can you change lenses on the canon? My wife works at sony so we'd get a good price on it.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
can you change lenses on the canon? My wife works at sony so we'd get a good price on it.
Nope. The Canon is just a really really good P&S with manual controls and a large sensor than most other P&S at that size. You can change lens on the Sonys which puts it in competition with the Olympus EP cameras. It all depends on what your planned usage is for the camera.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nope. The Canon is just a really really good P&S with manual controls and a large sensor than most other P&S at that size.

You can change lens on the Sonys which puts it in competition with the Olympus EP cameras.

It all depends on what your planned usage is for the camera.

I'm planning to take pictures with it.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to take pictures with it.

NUDES?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
NUDES?

macro dictures. want to really show the veins.

but seriously, for my business and for family stuff. Keeping in mind that I am not a camera guy and would prefer to have as little interface with the camera controls as possible.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really care for the NEX or u4/3 cameras I've played with - they sacrifice the size (and manual controls) of something like an S90 without the numerous benefits of a decent SLR. They occupy a middle ground I don't get - you've still got to carry them in a bag or on a strap (the S90 is pocketable), but they're designed to be used as point and shoots.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
I don't really care for the NEX or u4/3 cameras I've played with - they sacrifice the size (and manual controls) of something like an S90 without the numerous benefits of a decent SLR. They occupy a middle ground I don't get - you've still got to carry them in a bag or on a strap (the S90 is pocketable), but they're designed to be used as point and shoots.

if you put those issues aside and I tell you, "I have $600 to spend on a "prosumer" camera for commercial pics of pants/ties/shirts and typical family pics" what would you say about the NEX or the other 4/3 camera's?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
macro dictures. want to really show the veins.

but seriously, for my business and for family stuff. Keeping in mind that I am not a camera guy and would prefer to have as little interface with the camera controls as possible.

if you put those issues aside and I tell you, "I have $600 to spend on a "prosumer" camera for commercial pics of pants/ties/shirts and typical family pics" what would you say about the NEX or the other 4/3 camera's?

Definitely consider the NEX then. It's essentially geared towards you - someone who doesn't want manual control but wants higher quality pictures.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ed, hit up DPreview.com and DCresource.com for reviews. Check Amazon also. Everyone says go with an SLR but I don't know **** about taking pics so I'll stay out of it. Whatever you do, handle the thing and make sure it fits in your hand. My major complaint with the S90.

Canon also released the SD4500 which has 1080p. Will kop either that or the S95 if the reviews show that the internals have stayed the same or improved.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually hit up DPreview, thought it was about something else
lookaround.gif

Once there, I found their review, they seem to think that it's a good first step and as good as the competitors, but still need some improvements to be made. I am not a pro so just looking for good normal pics and very good macro pics with minimal amount of work on my part.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there even a macro lens for the NEX line yet?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually hit up DPreview, thought it was about something else
lookaround.gif
Once there, I found their review, they seem to think that it's a good first step and as good as the competitors, but still need some improvements to be made. I am not a pro so just looking for good normal pics and very good macro pics with minimal amount of work on my part.

ah if you need macro pics and normal pics then just stick with the flagship point and shoots like the s90/g11/lx3/ and the new one from samsung. they all have new versions the s95/lx5 ect too. that will be in the $350-$500 range. actually if you're not going to use manual controls then you could even just go with the ixus series or the Z series from panasonic which take great photos on fully automatic modes. plus you'll be in the 200-300$ range so you'll save a bunch. the nex by sony will be large and cumbersome (because you can't fit it into a pocket) but actually good for your needs if you're willing to lug it around.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked up the Lumix G2. Awesome camera, but i had to spring another $350 for a pancake lens. Generally, I think the micro 4/3 systems are great. You should pick up the Lumix GF1, which comes with the pancake lens. The G2 comes with a built in view finder, but the GF1 does not. The GF1 has a lot of manual controls, but you can also resort to the auto function, which is very good. Note, that you cannot zoom with the pancake lens, but the picture quality is awesome. I'll PM you pics of some sutors I just took this morning for another forum member. If you look around the web, you can pick up the GF1 for about $700-$750.

I looked into the NEX. The image sensor is bigger than that of the micro 4/3, and the picture quality is great, and so is the size, if you are more into compacts. As already mentioned, there are less manual controls for the Sony, so that may be up your alley. I just personally don't like the Sony controls and interface too much. It is an interchangeable lens system, but you can only use Sony lenses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads