• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjd.ickerson@comcast
Hello All - I will be in SF this weekend and am looking for a good place to buy a very traditional high quality bow tie for a black tie affair. Can anyone point me to the best place to get good assistance with such a purchase? Thanks.
I can't say from first-hand experience, but Barneys, Neiman Marcus or Saks might have something. Or you can try the speciality shops of Wilkes Bashford or Cable Car Clothier.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a pair of shoes sub-$400 to go underneath a pair of black-pinstriped trousers. Any suggestions?

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a trench coat that's too long... it has an internal liner that's pretty cool that I want to preserve; it attaches by zipper. What can I expect to pay a decent tailor to shorten it?

CHECKstar

Reaction score
This is a linen suit that I just picked up from alterations after buying it from the b&s forum (my first purchase). I wasn't planning on opening up a new thread, and can't find my proper camera, but was hoping if the fit of the suit is passable? (be gentle, I havn't posted pics before).

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure where to post this. I'm not used to wearing suits/ties beyond funeral/interview/wedding situations, where I traditionally have worn solid shirts. would like to try something different for a wedding this weekend. Saturday night in the city, but certainly not black tie or black tie optional. want to wear something with a little more flavor/fun.

would this shirt work with this suit? blue or orange ties the best?

click able:

arc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
This is a linen suit that I just picked up from alterations after buying it from the b&s forum (my first purchase). I wasn't planning on opening up a new thread, and can't find my proper camera, but was hoping if the fit of the suit is passable? (be gentle, I havn't posted pics before).

Looks fine, yeah. It's a little short in the body, and the buttoning point is a bit high - obviously nothing you can really alter at this point, but something to watch out for in future purchases. That's how "fashion forward" cuts look right now anyway, so no one will care except for here.
tongue.gif

raags

Reaction score
What situations are appropriate to wear black derbys in? What sort of other wear will they go with? Can I wear derbys with jeans and a blazer and a shirt? Are they formal enough to go with a suit in a business setting?

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
I am looking for a dark brown (chocolate) suede buck with a red sole under $200. I feel like this shouldn't be a hard find, but I've looked everywhere online and I've come up with nothing. Where can I find them?

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arc
Looks fine, yeah. It's a little short in the body, and the buttoning point is a bit high - obviously nothing you can really alter at this point, but something to watch out for in future purchases. That's how "fashion forward" cuts look right now anyway, so no one will care except for here.
tongue.gif

Cheers - I see what you mean with regards to the length, etc. Going forward I think I need to consider moving from 40R to 40L. Does anybody else has any feedback?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To shrink the shirt a bit, do I just put it into the dryer on high heat or do I soak it in water first?

Thanks!

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
I'd wash it, then dry on high heat. In my experience the main thing that shrinks is the length of the sleeves... You might have different results though.

EZ

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, how are Brooks Brothers suits?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads